Why become a member? ×

How far do you travel for a pub covers gig?

spike

Depends on the gig. I've driven from Norfolk to Wales before now for a gig, but it was a private 'mini-festival' on a farm, 150-200 people, so we made a weekend of it. Great fun as it turned out and we were invited back to play the following year, which we did. We could play it again if we wanted but having done it twice now the trek seems less appealing. We don't really have any 'rules' and just go with how we feel at the time. No big deal when money is not a concern..

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1473422111' post='3130071']
I spent years playing in a Watford based band whilst living near Newbury (an hour away). The band wasn't really earning anyway so I lost money on balance but liked the band. Everyone has different thresholds so if it isn't a problem I wouldn't worry. Also I had a very good bass player play for a band I put together, based in Hungerford with him coming from Staines. Equally, I know guys who grumble about playing 5 miles away.
[/quote] yep i know guys who grumble at going more than 5 miles. funny thing is they dont gig so much these days

Most of my gigs are 60-70 mins away - about 120 mile round trip as the remaining three members are local to Derbyshire/Stafford and I live in South Yorks - easier for one to travel than three, but now and again it would be nice for me to be the first one home. It's only happened once so far!

We tend to play within about an hour and a half's radius, so about 50/60 miles each way is my longest on average.

It's not something I really think about. We play in what I would call a sensible distance - enough to play around to get the gigs, but not going mad and travelling hours for nothing!

Our furthest gigs tend to be our best, just the locations are better for bands. So as has been said, for us, they are well worth the journey,

.....plus I enjoy it! :)

We used to have a kind of rule no more than an hours drive from Grimsby depending on the fee....we would very rarely travel for less than £250 otherwise not worth it....i remember travelling to The Rock Haven Lincoln we left Grimsby at 6pm was a new venue so gave ourselves time to find it.... got there round about 7.15pm....awkward venue 2 flights of concrete steps to get to the venue entrance we got gear loaded in and set up sound checked by 8.45 for a 9.30 start to be told don't want you on till gone 11pm....cut a long story short went down well but 6pm set off and get home at 2.30am was a ball ache played their several times but a long night

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1473411109' post='3129880']
All depends on the money.
[/quote]
This for me too. Most gigs are in a 10 mile radius - we are extremely lucky. We've done gigs all over the south of England but will charge extra if there is some mileage. Most of our gigs are party's/weddings so the money we can charge is worth a journey. For a £80 pub gig i'd be hesitant to travel too far.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1473427241' post='3130142']
Id rather drive an hour to a gig thats gonna rock crowd wise, than 10 mins to an empty venue

So the answer depends on the gig
[/quote]

How do you know whether the venue is full or empty until you get there and actually start playing ???????????????

I made a rule when I "retired" - no more than an hours drive and no less than £100 in my pocket at the end of the night.
Works for me, also much easier than when I was touring!
As to travelling for rehearsals, I guess it depends on the circumstances. IF it is a decent pro band that earns appropriately why not travel? One band I was in was based in Sheffield & I travelled to Oxfordshire from Cambridge to pick up the keys player before heading out to sheffield for pickup to start each tour.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1473417435' post='3129989']
I'm about 45-50 minutes each way for rehearsals and gigs are usually about an hour, sometimes 75 mins.

Doesn't bother me at all. Get in the car, put some music on, spend an evening with good friends doing something I really enjoy :)
[/quote]

Exactly this for me.

Furthest I've done in my current covers band is Sheffield - Leicester which AA Route Planner says is 1h 25 but I hit Leicester in rush hour... Didn't get home until the wee hours but got about 50% more cash and it was an excellent, well attended gig. I wouldn't do it regularly as I'm permanently exhausted these days and hate driving with a passion so the stress and the full day to recover isn't worth it for me.

Current band have always been less than an hour. Weve picked up a few agency jobs in Bedworth and Nuneaten which is a little under an hour if you time it right. Our singer booked us a gig in Spalding without realising just how far it would be (about 2 hrs each way for me). Then someone else we knew played the same venue, told us it basically wasnt worth the effort for the money paid and we pulled the gig which is very rare for us.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1473503691' post='3130766']
I am with you with the drive, but if I had to limit it to £100, I wouldn't have done many gigs :D
[/quote]
Yeah the west country was pretty much dying on its arse gig wise compared to the rest of the country as far back as 2006 when I finally knocked the long distance stuff on the head. Surprising how many little places round here will pay £100 a head for a reasonable band, trio duo or in many cases up to and beyond £200 for a solo if they arfe good and draw a crowd.
However if you are playing Blooz, forget it. Strictly in the "up to "200" bracket.