Why become a member? ×

Looking to learn guitar for the fun of it

Harryburke14

Yep. As the title says I'm looking to start learning 6 string more as a little something to do. Of course I'm still and always will be a bass player at heart, but learning a few guitar licks can't hurt can it.

Anyhow, I have cables, an old little practice amp, tuner, the lot. All's I'm missing is an actual guitar.
Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been looking at Squier Bullet strats, and pretty much all the Harley Benton range (sub £150). I'm really not looking for anything too ott at the minute, as cheap as possible as its not going to be anything I take outside the confines of the house. Apart from that anything I can plug in, holds tune, and doesn't have ridiculous frets that cut me fingers off, all in the picture.

Squiers are a great place to start. Come to think of it, I knew a great pro guitar player that played Squiers almost exclusively. (And I don't mean the vintage ones!)

I'd say get a second hand one to get the most for your money, and if you can, get a friend who knows good guitars to size it up for you. A badly playing instrument can be hell on your motivation.

Yeah I've got my cousin/lead guitarist helping me on my search. He likes the look of the Harley Benton jazzmaster style copy but a) I think p90s have too specific a sound for just learning on and b ) I don't know anyone who owns one and can't get someone to play one to tell me whether they're any good or not. That being said I (and all of the people I know who have had one) haven't ever been disappointed with Harley Benton basses or guitars so maybe it's worth a punt.

Edited by Harryburke14

Ah. Potential stumbling point. I have read today that guitars can damage bass amps (and basses damage guitar amps). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? I always thought that bassists like Mike Kerr plugged into guitar amps no problem and guitarists into bass amps no problem (can't think off the top of my head). Seeing that all of the amps in the house are bass amps, would I need to get an amp too? That would then mean I start looking at starter sets as opposed to just a guitar...

Ah. Potential stumbling point. I have read today that guitars can damage bass amps (and basses damage guitar amps). Does anyone have any knowledge on this? I always thought that bassists like Mike Kerr plugged into guitar amps no problem and guitarists into bass amps no problem (can't think off the top of my head). Seeing that all of the amps in the house are bass amps, would I need to get an amp too? That would then mean I start looking at starter sets as opposed to just a guitar...

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1473369250' post='3129623']
[/quote]

I think we have had this discussion before. It probably depends on the amp and speakers. I have fed my guitar through my TC BH and Cab many times and all you get it a mega clean guitar sound. Would the bass speakers handle guitar frequency distortion/fuzz, good question. What music are you intending to play? Blue and other cleaner sounds, I would be more than happy with my Bass Amp - Metal, probably not.
The other option is a multi effects pedal into a PC with headphones - do that a lot myself.

The only way I can imagine of a guitar damaging a bass rig would be if you fed a heavily distorted sound through a cab with a tweeter - the increased high frequency content could fry the tweeter. Otherwise nothing to worry about.

Whether you would like the sound is a different matter.

It would be along the blues, classic rock and funk lines, definitely no metal. I've asked our guitarist to run one of his older guitars over so that we can see about sound. If no good, I'm more than happy to buy a little amp or something. The other idea I had was an amp simulator and use that into the bass amp to get closer to a proper guitar amp sound.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1473421867' post='3130070']
Guitar test with Gibson firebird through all home amps I've got led to some clipping, so new amp too now. Looking more and more like starter pack zone.
[/quote]

I recommend the Fender Mustang series if you want a decent practice amp at home. They're pretty cheap and have a tonne of built in effects, headphone jack, USB etc.

[quote name='progben' timestamp='1473422371' post='3130076']

I recommend the Fender Mustang series if you want a decent practice amp at home. They're pretty cheap and have a tonne of built in effects, headphone jack, USB etc.
[/quote]

Yeah I've seen them advertised and read some very favourable reviews on them. We will see.

Very tempted to (if/when I get a few quid together) nip into PMT Birmingham and seeing what part-ex deals they'll do if I trade in my old epiphone bass (on sale on the forum marketplace at the minute). Otherwise, still keeping ears and eyes open.

• 2 weeks later...

picked up my first guitar yesterday. Second Hand Squier Stratocaster from my YOB, in what fender call wine red (although it's so dark it could be seen as black unless you looked hard enough). Upgraded with USA electronics and Kent Armstrong Pickups, as well as unbranded locking tuners and straplocks (I have no idea which kind). Set me back £190 and they threw in a gig bag, strap and 2 sets of D'addario strings for an extra tenner. Guitar player for our band came with me and picked it out over an Epihone SG and newer Squier gear. Since 1.30 yesterday afternoon I think it's been out of my hands for about 7 hours and that was when i slept.

Heh, I had a similar experience. Back when I bought my first guitar, the internet wasn't what it is now and none of the very few players I knew had a strat... anyway, long story short; I thought what I now know to be the out of phase 'quack' came from a Les Paul. It made sense to me - round sound from a curved guitar. 😂
I guess learning was a little different, then.

Congrats, hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do my strat these days!

(Doesn't look like a million bucks, but it sure sounds like it!)

I totally agree. I love (most) fender designs, there's something very pleasing about how their contours communicate.

My guitar, however, has been through some rough times. Some previous owner saw fit to refinish it with a paint brush, and the neck and headstock are badly dinged. Still, I love it to death. It just sounds so deliciously sweet.
Hardly touched any of my other guitars since I bought it.

(Except for my bass, obviously :P)