Why become a member? ×

Silent Home Practice Setup

acidbass

I use a Vox AP2 headphone amplifier. Plugs directly into your bass, runs off two AAA batteries and has mini jack sockets for headphones and aux in if you want to play along to a track. It can provide a pre set rhythm and you can set the tempo but I find this a bit fiddly and it eats the battery life considerably. I pair it with TGI headphones and it sounds great although as I'm no longer tethered to the amp I tend to wander about a bit which isn't always appreciated...

I use a USB powered mini desk, probably the best option if you want to use it with a Windows laptop or tablet, it's one of these:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/2635070-refurbished-behringer-xenyx-302usb-premium-5-input-mixer-and-usb-audio-interface-full-warranty?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9b6-BRCq7YP34tvW_uUBEiQAkK3svfJiqKSCMmkDqZCTVCEFGaXnMjWtxrqlbM9dRYIB7S8aAm9D8P8HAQ

Had some cheap Sennheisers but recently picked up a pair of bluetooth heapdhones from Aldi (with 3.5mm jack aux in) which actually go a fair bit deeper and sound clearer. The main advantage for me is cutting down on cables, The desk uses just a single USB cable for power and also uses this as a line in. I have a bluetooth adapter on the way from China to cut out another cable too so eventually it will be a single guitar lead and a short USB cable. I hate cables but want the flexibility of a desk so I can quickly boost or cut volume levels or low end on seprate channels.

It also functions as an audio interface, has a switchable aux in on channel 2 (with seperate 2 band eq like chanel 1) and works with my Windows tablet. Before this I used a small desk but that had a bulky power brick and required a seperate aux in cable so wasn't as neat. I also had a Korg Pandora PX3B which was very portable but sounded lifeless to me, handy little thing though.

Edited by lemmywinks

I use a line6 sonic port into their mobile pod software and run Spotify if I'm learning a set.

I used to use a peavey amp link kit and the pocket GK app - but a load of features of PGK Stopped working after a few IOS updates which was a shame as the loop and speed/key functions were excellent.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1473285102' post='3128795']
I use a USB powered mini desk, probably the best option if you want to use it with a Windows laptop or tablet, it's one of these:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/2635070-refurbished-behringer-xenyx-302usb-premium-5-input-mixer-and-usb-audio-interface-full-warranty?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9b6-BRCq7YP34tvW_uUBEiQAkK3svfJiqKSCMmkDqZCTVCEFGaXnMjWtxrqlbM9dRYIB7S8aAm9D8P8HAQ

Had some cheap Sennheisers but recently picked up a pair of bluetooth heapdhones from Aldi (with 3.5mm jack aux in) which actually go a fair bit deeper and sound clearer. The main advantage for me is cutting down on cables, The desk uses just a single USB cable for power and also uses this as a line in. I have a bluetooth adapter on the way from China to cut out another cable too so eventually it will be a single guitar lead and a short USB cable. I hate cables but want the flexibility of a desk so I can quickly boost or cut volume levels or low end on seprate channels.

It also functions as an audio interface, has a switchable aux in on channel 2 (with seperate 2 band eq like chanel 1) and works with my Windows tablet. Before this I used a small desk but that had a bulky power brick and required a seperate aux in cable so wasn't as neat. I also had a Korg Pandora PX3B which was very portable but sounded lifeless to me, handy little thing though.
[/quote]

Thanks for this, I'm snapping one up on payday

Bass in to my iphone or ipad via iRig HD interface and headphones. That all i use at home these days. Ampkit has both a TE and Ashdown rigs so plenty of variation for me, and no other power sources needed as it all works off the lightning interface.
Probably not the best but certainly portable and can be used in car/van/train etc without any need for a power source.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1473266102' post='3128524']
I use Bass, Apogee Interface, Laptop, Garageband and then I can use the Internet to practice whatever I want to. I tend to use Youtube playlists for cover band rehearsals, incredibly handy.
[/quote]This. AKG cans also. Great set up and a great sound. Focusrite 24 pro on its way, so amazing sound coming.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1473285102' post='3128795']
[url="https://reverb.com/uk/item/2635070-refurbished-behringer-xenyx-302usb-premium-5-input-mixer-and-usb-audio-interface-full-warranty?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9b6-BRCq7YP34tvW_uUBEiQAkK3svfJiqKSCMmkDqZCTVCEFGaXnMjWtxrqlbM9dRYIB7S8aAm9D8P8HAQ"]https://reverb.com/u...B7S8aAm9D8P8HAQ[/url]

[/quote]
This looks very interesting!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1473260022' post='3128438']
Zoom B1.on + £20 Seinheinser headphones + an audio source, could be an MP3 player, tablet or laptop
[/quote]
You are probably bored with this answer by now but this is what I use, I get about a weeks use out of rechargables too. Happy days.

PJB Bighead with PJB headphones and music via an iPad app is working for me. (Also works with an iPhone)

I'm using an app called Anytune which allows you to vary tempo and pitch as well as set loops within the song to practice with etc as well as a step change function for practicing tricky passages and then speeding up slightly in increments which you can set.

I'm using a tablet stand from Ikea which keeps it all nice and compact.

Edited by xzodar

• 3 weeks later...

Sennheiser HD201's are perfectly adequate https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Closed-Dynamic-Stereo-headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B0007XJSQC Look for closed back because it cuts out the sound for people near you and also some of the background noise you would otherwise hear.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1475016330' post='3142405']
Sennheiser HD201's are perfectly adequate https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Closed-Dynamic-Stereo-headphones-Black-Silver/dp/B0007XJSQC Look for closed back because it cuts out the sound for people near you and also some of the background noise you would otherwise hear.
[/quote]

Looks good to me. Thank you very much.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1475046014' post='3142485']
This is about as lightweight as it can get. One of these plugs into my bass. Phone goes into it as backing track source. Boom. Works ok when on the road and in hotels.

[/quote]

Exactly what I use if I feel the need to play without disturbing wife or neighbours.

[quote name='xzodar' timestamp='1473591185' post='3131386']
PJB Bighead with PJB headphones and music via an iPad app is working for me. (Also works with an iPhone)

I'm using an app called Anytune which allows you to vary tempo and pitch as well as set loops within the song to practice with etc as well as a step change function for practicing tricky passages and then speeding up slightly in increments which you can set.

I'm using a tablet stand from Ikea which keeps it all nice and compact.
[/quote]

Trying to understand why you have my set list on your ipad lol