Sign in to follow this  
gareth

Want to get paid work?

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1473285823' post='3128801']
I think they're a decent band. I'd book em for a party or pub. It's a promo to get paid cover band gigs not a 'Pretentious Art Film'.

This is though.

http://youtu.be/t1oMQNHYigU
[/quote]

I prefer this. The band are terrible.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1473708988' post='3132494']
I've just watched the clip, my god you lot are a cynical bunch!
[/quote]

BassChat? Nooooooooooo! But, yeah. I thought bass players were meant to be open minded and generally supportive rather than narrow minded and closed to new ideas.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1473708988' post='3132494']
I notice in general many regular know it alls on here never put their own stuff up for scrutiny.
[/quote]

Hmmm! I'd love to watch some of you guys play! I wanna hear some of those amazing bass tones that get talked about all the time.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1473771986' post='3132972']
I've concluded that a few of the people I'm thinking of mainly gig in their own minds!
[/quote]
i bet they don't do it for free tho...

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1473771986' post='3132972']
I've concluded that a few of the people I'm thinking of mainly gig in their own minds!
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1473773172' post='3132991']
i bet they don't do it for free tho...
[/quote]

I got out of my mind when I saw a music stand there...

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1473758206' post='3132765']
yes you are probably right, they obviously spent money and time on it, and will get them gigs (if they can persuade the idle arsed mangers at venues to look at it) it would be interesting to find out whether it was money well spent, lets be honest venues aren't really interested in how good the band is but how punters they can get through the door,( and this video gives no indication of that) the way I can tell how good a band is is how many repeat bookings they get, most of our new gigs come from recommendations, video's will never be able to show the buzz a good live band can generate, thankfully
[/quote]

Actually, some good points there.
My cousin booked bands for overseas corporate work (she retired from that recently).
She never took promo material (videos etc) on face value. Because of the really good money involved, plus flights and hotels etc - she had to get it right.
If some promo stuff pricked her interest, she would ring round some of her agent associates for any feedback, and then pop along to a function or two and watch them in the flesh.
Sometimes her job was made easier by companies requesting bands that they had used the year before.

So yep, you don't always get in the flesh what is in the video, and sometimes a good professional live promo complete with punters is just as useful.
But competition is strong out there for bands. Ten a penny :D

http://www.thelondonfunctionband.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2iaqVLIeQ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfbAISXy6qQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnooMxEm10

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1473344256' post='3129349']
I'm not sure this is even a deliberate choice either, it's simply that people (including musicians!) don't listen properly or indeed make any effort to do so.

Not that it matters - as said elsewhere, when a punter hears a cover hit they actually play the recording of the original that is in their memory anyway.
[/quote]

Very true. There;s a jazz band that I dep for occasionally. I couldn't make a few gigs earlier in the year so they got someone else.in. I happened to see them play with him a few weeks ago. He was totally making it all up, not even trying to follow the lead sheets or the harmony. He was playing an EUB, his sound was so atonal, that nobody really noticed him not playing what he was supposed to be playing. He even did a bass solo that was just a minute of total randomness.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1473783595' post='3133097']
.... jazz...nobody really noticed him not playing what he was supposed to be playing...
[/quote]

Isn't that the essence of jazz? :ph34r:

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1473278135' post='3128693']
Singer looks like Tom Hiddleston.

[/quote]
Not sure if it's humanly possible..... But he looks like a slightly less masculine Tom hiddleston.