Why become a member? ×

Pre Amp Valves etc

Charla

I've had my Ashdown ABM500H since 1999. It still sounds good but I was wondering if there was a rule of thumb regarding changing the pre amp valve? I was reading about the EBS td650 which recommends changing the pre amp valve every 12 months!

Cheers

Charla

Edited by Charla

[quote name='Charla' post='31128' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:27 AM']I was reading about the EBS td650 which recommends changing the pre amp valve every 12 months![/quote]

Sounds like EBS are getting kickbacks from the valve manufacturers. Change your valve when it breaks or you want to experiment with different sounds. Power amp valves last far longer than manufacturers claim - ever heard of anyone changing their power transistors? Durability is not that dissimilar. Preamp valves just go on and on.

Alex

Pick a valve, any valve (provided it's the right type) pull the old one out, handle the new one with a cloth so your skin oils don't damage it, and insert.

I've just stuck a Groove Tubes 12AX7-m in my ABM300, sounding much better than the stock Sovtek tube

It's good this forum!

Whilst we're on the subject of valves; I have a 1976 Fender Bassman 100, I've had it checked and been told it's OK, however, it seems to lack volume and I have to run the gain fairly high when using passive basses but get a better result with active basses. Any comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Charla