Why become a member? ×

RCF crossover

Rik (ESA)

OK - just checking - you've gone through steps to eliminate the problems...

plug your bass into the desk directly via a cable
plug your bass into the DI and from that into the desk... all using cables
plug your bass into the Wireless and from that into the desk... all using cables (apart from the wireless bit obviously)

Have you tried plugging into different channels on your desk? Hi-Z vs Lo-Z etc - I see the UI has different sockets - that could influence things.

Have you tried different cables? Are you using instrument cable? Are you using mic cable or balanced TRS from your Bass Fly to the mixer?

• 3 months later...

Just resurrecting this one again! Managed to avoid the "farting" by dropping the sub volume and increasing my amp volume. Had a thought though, and I've had a scour online for info, but is it possible I'm putting too much gain on the bass before it hits the sub? I'm running the sub on volume as 1 of 10 (8 o'clock), and anything above that presents issue. As you'll have gathered from this thread, I'm a real FOH sound novice, so never really considered I could be driving the sub too hard at source. That said, on the mixer (iPad) the sound isn't clipping. Could the volume nobs on the soundcraft itself influence things? I run those on full...

Thanks again,

Rick

I don't think this has been mentioned above yet, but you might want to try sending subs on fader. This means using your main left and right outs of the Ui12 for the PA tops, and then sending an entirely different feed off an aux out to the sub(s). This way you need only put the actual bass instruments (kick, bass, and possibly keys and guitar depending on genre) through the subs. You can then control,the sub independently with gain, filters, compression etc. I don't know about the RCF sub but certainly my Mackie 1501s don't turn all the way off even with the volume at '0', so doing it this way gives me much better control in smaller venues.
To be fair it does take a bit of getting used to having a whole extra send to balance with the mains, but I instantly got better definition and punch in my mix. With digital mixers in this way you can control your own crossover, and not be limited to your sub's presets.

Edited by moonbass

• 2 months later...

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1508788270' post='3394470']
Maybe I'm being daft but how would i go about running the sub through an aux in a way that you could control the eq being sent to it, without it affecting what goes through the tops?
[/quote]
If it's powered, it'll have a built in crossover. You would plug your powered tops into the main LR... and the sub into an aux. The problem with this is that without a crossover for your tops, you are going to be sending full range to your tops).

If it's not powered, you'll need to signals to your sub through a crossover unit before going to the amp which would then power the sub. Same for the tops - the signal for those would go through the crossover and then to the amp before powering the tops.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508790084' post='3394493']

If it's powered, it'll have a built in crossover. You would plug your powered tops into the main LR... and the sub into an aux. The problem with this is that without a crossover for your tops, you are going to be sending full range to your tops).

If it's not powered, you'll need to signals to your sub through a crossover unit before going to the amp which would then power the sub. Same for the tops - the signal for those would go through the crossover and then to the amp before powering the tops.
[/quote]

Ok, thanks.
We have just upgraded to the same 712’s and 905 set up and want to avoid any issues from the outset. This is our first PA system with a sub and have no prior experience of using one.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1508793189' post='3394526']
Ok, thanks.
We have just upgraded to the same 712's and 905 set up and want to avoid any issues from the outset. This is our first PA system with a sub and have no prior experience of using one.
[/quote]
To be honest, for most applications, an aux fed sub is an over complication and can actually contribute to a worse mix. If you aren't sure, stick with plugging into the sub and then up to the tops. If you are finding your mix too bassy or not bassy enough, you can adjust the volume on the back of the sub to balance (just make sure you don't set it peaking).

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1508800156' post='3394572']

To be honest, for most applications, an aux fed sub is an over complication and can actually contribute to a worse mix. If you aren't sure, stick with plugging into the sub and then up to the tops. If you are finding your mix too bassy or not bassy enough, you can adjust the volume on the back of the sub to balance (just make sure you don't set it peaking).
[/quote]

That makes sense, is there any requirement for a graphic eq in this type of setup or would the channel eq be sufficient.

[quote name='only4' timestamp='1508840059' post='3394719']
That makes sense, is there any requirement for a graphic eq in this type of setup or would the channel eq be sufficient.
[/quote]
I don't know what desk you would be using - but you would eq on each channel. Strictly speaking you should tune your PA to the room but I can count on one hand how many self contained bands do that.

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1508878254' post='3395138']
Just wire the sub from an aux send. There should be an eq on the channel on the Soundcraft. I would only send the kick, bass, and possibly keys to the sub.
[/quote]
Assuming of course that you have a crossover for the top.