Why become a member? ×

Essential licks for the bass guitarist

Nicko

We've all seen them on Yootoob, you know the thing, ten must know licks. So I got to wondering what BC would come up with. Although I play mainly alternative heres a few. These are not my fave bass tracks, just songs I think every player whatever style should be able to play

1. Chic - Good Times
2. The Jam - A Town Called Malice
3. The Clash - London Calling
4. Pink Floyd- Money
5. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
6. Green Day - When I come Around
7 RHCP - Under the Bridge
8. Walking bass line
9. Aerosmith - Sweet Emotion
10 The Doobie Bros - Long Train Runnng

I don't listen to classic rock, punk, prog or metal so can't come up with any suggestions from these genres. I mostly play stuff from funk, soul, reggae, disco, New Wave, pop and post punk. So from these I'd say

Peaches - Stranglers
Disco Inferno -Trammps
For The Love of Money - O Jays
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
Taxman - Beatles / Jam
Exodus - Bob Marley
Under Pressure - Queen
Fools Gold -Stone Roses
Ball Of Confusion - Temptations
Good Times -Chic

Not my favourites, not necessarily essential, even... just a random selection from the lines I've been obliged to learn over the years. When playing in covers bands, obviously... :rolleyes:

I Want You Back - Jackson 5
Blind Man - Black Stone Cherry
Soul Man - Sam and Dave
Reach Out (I'll Be There) - Four Tops
Unchain My Heart - Ray Charles
Sex Type Thing - Stone Temple Pilots
Vertigo - U2
Canned Heat - Jamiroquai
Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You - Bob Dylan
What Is And What Should Never Be - Led Zeppelin

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1473162295' post='3127500']
I guess we're nomming stuff that are among the best known riffs but also less tricky to suss than famous but harder to master lines like Rhythm Stick, I Wish, The Real Me etc?
[/quote]

I don't think 'Want You Back' or 'Reach Out' are particularly easy to learn. They're quite famous songs. ;)

TBH I don't know any "licks" I haven't written myself. I might possibly be able to half recall a handful of the songs played during my brief stint in a covers band a few years ago, but I spend all my playing time working on songs in originals bands, so that's what I know and can play.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1473168507' post='3127592']
I created a Spotify playlist that is now 100's of songs long thanks to the collaborating of BCers. I'll get a link in my signature and here later!
[/quote]

I've added the playlist link to my signature now. Feel free to add the above songs if you haven't already!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1473166984' post='3127573']
TBH I don't know any "licks" I haven't written myself. I might possibly be able to half recall a handful of the songs played during my brief stint in a covers band a few years ago, but I spend all my playing time working on songs in originals bands, so that's what I know and can play.
[/quote]

I'm the same.
Apart from the first few years when I was first learning I've never really learned any "Famous" bass parts - I never saw the point of wasting time learning something that I'd never ever have to play.
A lot of these "essential" bass lines are from songs I can't stand anyway (Rhythm Stick, Town Called Malice, pretty much all Soul & Motown stuff). I always found it far more enjoyable to just play stuff I enjoyed rather than what was thought of as essential.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1473192678' post='3127936']

Why should 'every player whatever style' be able to play them?
[/quote]

Because that's the way this bass playing stuff works. There's a certain licks you should know.

It's not art.

Blue

Edited by blue