Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal room: "Can you lock up when you leave, please?"

solo4652

The last two rehearsal rooms we've used, we've been given the keys and asked to switch off all lights, make sure the goods lift doors are properly in place, check that nobody else is in the building and lock everything up when we leave.

Now, I personally think it's the owners' responsibility to secure their own premises at lock-up time, not ours. I said this to the owner of our current rooms and he got a bit defensive, saying he couldn't see any problem.

Any thoughts?

Edited by solo4652

Is he the owner or just a key holder?

If you're uncomfortable with it just say no.

The only problem is if you don't lock up properly. He's responsible and didn't ensure it was locked it's his problem as far as the insurers will be concerned.

Whether or not he comes after you is another question entirely.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1473090450' post='3126803']
I don't know whether we're allowed to stay late. We always leave by 11 o'clock, since we hire the room 7 - 11.
[/quote]

in which case i reckon it's implicit you have free reign. Lock up when you are done type thing.

Quite - the rooms are new and there are some rather nice amps, drums and guitars in there. There is a very well-equipped recording studio with all the gear. Also, bands leave their money in the piano stool since the owner leaves before the bands have finished.

Suppose somebody walks in when the bands are busy and nicks something. Last band out locks up in good faith, only to be dragged into a messy insurance claim later. I'm not comfortable being put in that (potential) position.

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1473090167' post='3126797']
The last two rehearsal rooms we've used, we've been given the keys and asked to switch off all lights, make sure the goods lift doors are properly in place, check that nobody else is in the building and lock everything up when we leave.

Now, I personally think it's the owners' responsibility to secure their own premises at lock-up time, not ours. I said this to the owner of our current rooms and he got a bit defensive, saying he couldn't see any problem.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Is the owner looking for a gull for when he fires the building for the insurance claim maybe? It is not your responsibility.

Aside from the trust issue, there is an implied business agreement here which, for me, goes something like: We pay you money. In return, you allow us to use your premises and equipment, you look after us while we're there and you lock up your own premises when we leave.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1473093990' post='3126876']
Aside from the trust issue, there is an implied business agreement here which, for me, goes something like: We pay you money. In return, you allow us to use your premises and equipment, you look after us while we're there and you lock up your own premises when we leave.
[/quote]
I don't see why the second part of this should be part of the transaction. Owner is trying to keep your costs down. If you want to be looked after offer some more money and ask for someone to be there. I've used a place like this, leaving the key under a brick! Mad, yes, but not a problem.

These sorts of arrangements are fine until something goes wrong.

The OP is clearly unhappy about it and I think I would be too. If it were me, I'd have a chat with the owner about my concerns, possibly by email so there is a written record even though I'd generally prefer a face to face chat. Perhaps a chat first followed up with an email just to confirm what was discussed?

This used to happen at a place in Brighton.

We were never accused of theft but one time the guy asked 'er ... did you move the piano ... someone moved the piano ... was it you?'. It wasn't us.

Another time we arrived and all was locked up and no one there. We phoned the guy and he sent a taxi with the keys to let ourselves in, He turned up an hour later.

Then there was the time the ceiling fell on the drummer.

I've used various premises with various choirs/orchestras/groups I rehearse with where we have a set of keys to lock up. I think you have to judge it on th emerits of the situation. But expect a bigger bill if he has to pay someone to attend/lock-up.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1473103942' post='3126994']
These sorts of arrangements are fine until something goes wrong.

The OP is clearly unhappy about it and I think I would be too. If it were me, I'd have a chat with the owner about my concerns, possibly by email so there is a written record even though I'd generally prefer a face to face chat. Perhaps a chat first followed up with an email just to confirm what was discussed?
[/quote]

+1

it seems easy going and fine... but what happens when something goes wrong?

I'd be nervous unless there's good security camera coverage to show my innocence if/when it goes wrong.

It's difficult to know without actually having been there. Know the area. Know what the rooms are like. Know what kind of bands he lets rehearse.

I'd not be too worried about power off an locking up. I'm not sure I'd be totally happy with checking lifts are empty. Depends what the 'lifts' actually are.

I've been left in charge of all sorts of buildings. It's not really a big deal.

[quote name='OddBass65' timestamp='1473113418' post='3127134']
You're leaving yourself open to a lot of hassle if anything goes wrong.
[/quote]

But you're not, without an explicit agreement you cannot be held responsible in this situation. I'm sure it's 100% the owner's responsibility to ensure the security of their property, not their paying customers (correct me if I'm wrong legal folks)?