Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal room: "Can you lock up when you leave, please?"

solo4652

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1473113948' post='3127146']

But you're not, without an explicit agreement you cannot be held responsible in this situation. I'm sure it's 100% the owner's responsibility to ensure the security of their property, not their paying customers (correct me if I'm wrong legal folks)?
[/quote]

All fine, except if one day something goes missing and the court of public opinion finds you guilty.

I can already see the Facebook posts asking the owner to "name and shame" the band who were the last ones in when the '59 Les Paul disappeared. Even if he doesn't name you publicly you can bet it'll happen privately.

Just back from rehearsal. I had a quiet word with the owner and said that I wasn't happy taking responsibility for securing his property. If other people were happy to do so, then that's up to them, but not me. "OK", he said, "I'll just have to get somebody else to lock up". "Fine by me", I said.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1473093534' post='3126867']
This is pretty common here in the Warwick/Leamington area... Been locking up for years without any issues
[/quote]

Same with me, I've done this loads of times.

Always made sense to me because otherwise the poor key holder would be sitting around for hours listening to bands rehearsing and, as I'm sure we all know, that's a very dull thing indeed 😂

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1473104512' post='3127005']
This used to happen at a place in Brighton.

We were never accused of theft but one time the guy asked 'er ... did you move the piano ... someone moved the piano ... was it you?'. It wasn't us.

Another time we arrived and all was locked up and no one there. We phoned the guy and he sent a taxi with the keys to let ourselves in, He turned up an hour later.

Then there was the time the ceiling fell on the drummer.
[/quote]

Where was that? As I've rehearsed at most of the places in Brighton.

wouldn't have a problem with it. Ive used rooms where you put the money and the keys in a postbox on the way out. In both cases band and owner on good friendly terms. As in " trust each other" Sure they knew we always went a bit over the agreed end time but like wise accepted this would probably happen. If however we took the piss and we had stayed for several hours over making a nusiance they probably would have found out and thats the end of a special arrangement.

Nothing ever went missing or got damaged because we were never that sort of band and they were never that sort of character.

It's fine; I've been in a few studios where they've asked the same - depends what kind of band you are & how you get on with the owners but I'm happy to lock the door behind me & post the key through the door in exchange for staying as long as I want. I wouldn't look at lifts though or guarantee any of the equipement.

Looking at it from the other side; it's 11 at night & you want to go & have a few beers with your mates but you're stuck in a tiny office listening to the muffled sound of a band whose music you don't know coming through the walls. If you know them & know musicians generally don't steal from each other why not leave them with the keys?

One of the spaces I currently use has no one there - all the doors are on push-button coded locks & the owner just texts you the code for that day then you post the cash into a little box at the end, all on trust. Does anyone steal the equipement (which would be easy)? No, of course they don't.

I'm associated with Riff Factory rehearsal studios in Stoke. The idea of leaving all that expensive gear in there unattended, and asking a customer to take responsibility for locking up is just scary! I'm sure the insurance would never cover it if anything happened, and I can imagine so may bad situations potentially arising from this. So, Riff Factory is always staffed when bands are in.

• 3 months later...