Why become a member? ×

NBD x 2 (Sire / Marcus Miller content)

Wilco

One of these is a bit overdue, but thought it would be better to post them together.

A lot of Internet hype around these basses had piqued my interest a few months ago. Fortunately a bass chatter locally to me (Freddie75) put one up for sale, which gave me the opportunity to check one out. I think it took me all of 10 minutes after arriving at Freddie's to agree to buy it at the advertised price......

That was the white standard V7 in the pics below. Not having deep pockets, that left me with just the two basses, the other being my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz which I'd had for 10 years & had always (perhaps mostly!?!) considered a lifetime keeper.

Soon realised that the Fender was now gathering dust & that I was reaching for the V7 every time. Then saw the Vintage V7 advertised. Made the big (for me) decision that the Geddy had to go to pay for one of those, and that turned up last Wednesday after being on order for a few weeks.

So what are the differences between the models?

V7 has two heavy formvar magnet coil pickups whereas the Vintage V7 has one of those at the bridge & a plain enamel coil pickup at the neck.

V7 has 60's pickup spacing vs Vintage which V7 has 70's (difference can be seen in pics)

V7 has a heavy duty brass bridge vs the Vintage V7's steel bbot style

The bodies & necks across the range come in alder/rosewood or ash/maple variations, so knowing my white V7 was the former, I deliberately chose the latter for the Vintage V7 to add to the above differences.

All I can say is the hype is well founded. These basses look great, seem solidly put together, play supremely well & sound awesome - the preamp is full of different tonal possibilities & being 18v, it's very powerful indeed.

The only changes I made was to put (ironically) Fender straplocks on both, & turn down the preamp power slightly via a trim pot adjuster in the control plate.

A bonus in as much these can be played in either active or passive mode.

Also bought a couple of branded gig bags (soft cases) which are at least as good as any other I've seen.

These are mid range instruments & the pricing is at the lower end of that range, whilst the quality is at the top end of it. I've owned many a bass, & £1000 on a single instrument is the most I've ever spent. For these two basses & their gig bags I've spent a total of £900, & they are the best basses this modest player has owned.......

Very happy indeed!

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1473019922' post='3126181']
Very cool, they really are exceptional instruments ..i have the ash maple v7 and am thinking of getting an alder rosewood vintage
what are the tonal differences between your two ?
[/quote]

Not done an all settings the same comparison yet, but would say the Vintage has a tighter tone (not better than the standard, just slightly different) & would put that mainly down to the bridge pickup position

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1473067447' post='3126466']
Nice. Seriously tempted myself for the money. Did these not come with a gig-bag then?
[/quote]

For European purchases via Thomann, the gig bag is extra. About £57 (+ postage if you buy it on it's own)

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='TommyK' timestamp='1473087997' post='3126763']

Wider string spacing on the Vintage too right?
[/quote]

The standard V7 5 string is 18mm, & the Vintage V7 fiver is 20mm I believe.

Got to say, that is a difference the fingers on my right hand fail to notice! The saddles on the Vintage are grooved, which gives you an element of variance on the spacing on that bass if you so wished.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='DrPAR' timestamp='1476351765' post='3153485']
Sire Marcus Miller bass guitars must be keepers. They rarely seem to be made available second-hand and my request for a 4-string V7 in the 'Wanted' section hasn't led to a single PM.
[/quote]

I really love mine. Buildt Quaility, Playability and first of all Sound is incredible and I bet these blow every MiM made Fender Deluxe Model out of the Water in a Minute.... B)

Edited by AREA

I've been GAS'ing for a sunburst Jazz, so am looking at this thread with interest. Very nice pair, Wilco! :laugh1:

£350 new, compared to £1340 for a new US Jazz....sunburst, rosewood.

Obviously it's not a US bass, but is it more MIM, or Classic Vibe? Gives me an idea as I've played both!

I do like the passive option, as I'm not really an active player. For what I'd be using it for, these look seriously tempting.

[quote name='DrPAR' timestamp='1476351765' post='3153485']
Sire Marcus Miller bass guitars must be keepers. They rarely seem to be made available second-hand and my request for a 4-string V7 in the 'Wanted' section hasn't led to a single PM.
[/quote]

I think you're right. Given a lot of these have been sold now, I do regular scans on eBay (not just uk), & very rarely do these come up!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1476377470' post='3153826']
I've been GAS'ing for a sunburst Jazz, so am looking at this thread with interest. Very nice pair, Wilco! :laugh1:

Obviously it's not a US bass, but is it more MIM, or Classic Vibe? Gives me an idea as I've played both!
[/quote]

They are a nice pair - always a pleasure to get my hands on them. Oo, er madam!

Compared to Fenders? Well, I'm not regretting getting rid of my CIJ Geddy Jazz to pay for the Vintage V7, & the Geddy would be a better bass than a MiM or CV. I've only owned one US Fender, & difficult to do a direct comparison as that was a passive Precision. Do i think the Sire's are lower quality overall compared to that? Not sure that I do....

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1476428889' post='3154133']
They are a nice pair - always a pleasure to get my hands on them. Oo, er madam!

Compared to Fenders? Well, I'm not regretting getting rid of my CIJ Geddy Jazz to pay for the Vintage V7, & the Geddy would be a better bass than a MiM or CV. I've only owned one US Fender, & difficult to do a direct comparison as that was a passive Precision. Do i think the Sire's are lower quality overall compared to that? Not sure that I do....
[/quote]

I think so too. I've played the Squier CV P-Bas or MiM Jazz Basses. IMO the Sire Basses feel, look and sound more worth the Money and blows easily every MiM F.... that I've played out of the Water in a Minute. There is really nothing that makes you feel that you play a Bass in that Price Range.

Well, both of my Sire Basses are 4,8Kg on my Digital Bathroom Scale. I don't know how much is that in lbs, but that is the only Complaint, if you want. I got Sandberg VM5 Basses wich are the same Weight, or a 4-String Elwood made of Northern Ash wich was 5,0 Kg, but had an awesome Sound.

My Expiriences say, it is not a big Deal if you have a good and wide Strap.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1476447479' post='3154391']
How are they for weight? At over 10lb I had to get rid of my Fender Jazz 5 string, but I do miss it a bit, but know mr shoulder can't bear that weight for any length of time. With active/passive option, does that mean you can carry on playing if the batteries go down?
[/quote]

Just put my standard V7 on the bathroom scales & that reads 10lbs exactly.

Yes, if the batteries give up, you can flick to passive & carry on.