Why become a member? ×

Dilemma with sold pa speakers

Smythe

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help out on this one? Myself and a former band member recently sold on a set of Mackie sa1232z speakers as our old band is now defunct due to our singer/guitarists life being tragically cut short in a freak accident.

After the sale (which was a four figure sum), we didn't hesistate put a third of money into his charity fund. The People bought these speakers bought them as seen as we assured them they were fine as the last time we used them at the wake they were fine. They had the option to test them out prior to buying but took them without testing .

A few days later they got in touch saying a midrange or tweeter driver on one of the units is faulty. It craps out on certain notes around the threshold of the midrange and the tweeter. It isn't noticeable when say, an mp3 of music is playing, just on a clean guitar sound. I went through to see it in person, and the were right.

The problem I have is, these speakers are now discontinued, I did say to them that if it genuinely is knackered we'd chip in get the new driver etc. I've sourced the tweeter which is relatively inexpensive but the midrange driver is a different story. They're completely obsolete (rcf midrange mr160 1.7n). So I don't know what the hell to do if its the mids. I have sourced a similar aftermarket midrange by 18 sound, but it'd only got the same physical dimensions, I have no clue what the power spec is on the rcf's so I dont know if the 18 Sound will be electronically compatible in there? I'm no PA whizz kid, I was wondering if any of yous know if it would be compatible?

Note : We still haven't ruled out a few daft things like grill rattle, loose speaker clamps, loose dust caps etc.

That's kind, because there's every possibility the damage happened after you sold it, when they didn't know what they were doing setting it up.

I think I'd explain the problem with driver availability, and let them say how they'd like to proceed. They'll be no problem finding a non-original but suitable driver I'd think. Try Blue Aran in Southampton. Perhaps coming to a settlement where they handle the repair and you buy the driver or something, or vica versa.

HTH!

LD

I've sort of ruled out they done any damage post buy, they already own a set of the same active speakers but with 15" bass drivers.

Thanks for the blue Aran link. That's were I sourced the tweeter originally, I've also noticed they do 6inch neodymium midrange drivers like the original RCFs on there,Eminence and Celestions. I wonder if any of them are compatible...?

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1473010548' post='3126029']
I wonder if any of them are compatible...?
[/quote]
You'll only know if you can find the tech spec of the original driver I'm afraid. Can the original driver be repaired?

[quote name='Smythe' timestamp='1473010548' post='3126029']
I've sort of ruled out they done any damage post buy, they already own a set of the same active speakers but with 15" bass drivers.

Thanks for the blue Aran link. That's were I sourced the tweeter originally, I've also noticed they do 6inch neodymium midrange drivers like the original RCFs on there,Eminence and Celestions. I wonder if any of them are compatible...?
[/quote]
Wembly Loudspeakers can probably repair it and then there is no problem with compatability.
It it needs re-coning, that is pretty simple for them.