Why become a member? ×

Fender P bass question.

fretmeister

A good time to ask as I'm researching P basses too! I know you've had a 62RI with a 42mm nut. I have one here that might go for the chop.

I see the '63 & '58 P's are as you say, 7.25 on 44mm. The two basses on my radar are: Steve Harris P. 7.25" 41mm and the Mike Dirnt 9.5" at 40mm. The only thing is that both of these have fat necks that you might not like but I love the idea despite not having tried them myself!

Oh wait! 70's P basses. The Nate Mendel is a 7.25 with a 40mm nut. - it's apparently based on his own 71 (??) P bass. - I'm also wondering if my rather awesome 'law-suit' is the same spec, but have to say, is a better bass than the Nate I played recently!

Happy owner of a classic 50 here, with a well performing spb1 loaded. A keeper.

IMO, the wide (but not massively deep at all) neck is way nicer in the hand than many think. But I might be biased as I also studied double bass and no electric bass feels unbearably chunky to me. Give it a go in person, they are often around in stores, that's the only way you can tell.

On a side note, it's probably the most stable neck I've owned so far.

[quote name='Basszilla' timestamp='1472944938' post='3125562']
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what pickup is in a 95 us standard p-bass?
[/quote]

Not being flippant here, but that would be a '95 Fender American Standard Precision Bass pickup!

As far as I know, they started putting the Custom Shop 62 pickup in from 2012, but before that it never had a special name. It's likely that the specs varied over the years too, I know 2008 era ones sound quite aggressive for example.

I really like the one that came stock in my 2004, I did the usual pickup upgrade only to find I preferred the original!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472931235' post='3125457']
A good time to ask as I'm researching P basses too! I know you've had a 62RI with a 42mm nut. I have one here that might go for the chop.

I see the '63 & '58 P's are as you say, 7.25 on 44mm. The two basses on my radar are: Steve Harris P. 7.25" 41mm and the Mike Dirnt 9.5" at 40mm. The only thing is that both of these have fat necks that you might not like but I love the idea despite not having tried them myself!

Oh wait! 70's P basses. The Nate Mendel is a 7.25 with a 40mm nut. - it's apparently based on his own 71 (??) P bass. - I'm also wondering if my rather awesome 'law-suit' is the same spec, but have to say, is a better bass than the Nate I played recently!
[/quote]

Dood, you might want to revisit the 'Arry nut width spec fella ;)

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472931235' post='3125457']

[/quote]Having played a Harris sig bass and a Dirnt sig bass I much preferred the Mike Dirnt as it was much lighter and felt nicer to play :) I am a huge Arry fan but did not really like the bass as much as I thought I would by the way there is a new Harris sig bass on ebay for £848 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steve-Harris-Fender-Precision-Immaculate-Bass-Iron-Maiden-REDUCED-BARGAIN-/232064140523?hash=item360819c4eb:g:c-sAAOSwFe5XxFLp buy it now which looks a good buy to me

Edited by Thunderbird

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472971212' post='3125625']
Dood, you might want to revisit the 'Arry nut width spec fella ;)
[/quote]

I was quoting from the Fender website - Are the details incorrect? 41.02mm

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472970957' post='3125622']

Not being flippant here, but that would be a '95 Fender American Standard Precision Bass pickup!

As far as I know, they started putting the Custom Shop 62 pickup in from 2012, but before that it never had a special name. It's likely that the specs varied over the years too, I know 2008 era ones sound quite aggressive for example.

I really like the one that came stock in my 2004, I did the usual pickup upgrade only to find I preferred the original!
[/quote]

Cheers mate!

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1472982342' post='3125698']
Having played a Harris sig bass and a Dirnt sig bass I much preferred the Mike Dirnt as it was much lighter and felt nicer to play :) I am a huge Arry fan but did not really like the bass as much as I thought I would by the way there is a new Harris sig bass on ebay for £848 [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steve-Harris-Fender-Precision-Immaculate-Bass-Iron-Maiden-REDUCED-BARGAIN-/232064140523?hash=item360819c4eb:g:c-sAAOSwFe5XxFLp"]http://www.ebay.co.u...-sAAOSwFe5XxFLp[/url] buy it now which looks a good buy to me
[/quote]

My gut feeling personally is for the Dirnt as I kinda like the Tele headstock too. But right now, I won't be buying anything. I only just managed to not have to sell one of my favourite basses recently. The Fender might not be so lucky leaving the stable.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1473005449' post='3125964']
Maybe I should try a fat neck one.
[/quote]
If you think the fat neck is something you'd like , then yes, try one.
I am a fan of Steve Harris's playing, but I tried 2 of his sig basses ( tried the 2nd one, cos the 1st one was badly set up)
I found the basses to be quite heavy, and didn't like the chunky necks, but that's my personal taste of course.

My fave ever P, is my roadworn, which is very lightweight, and a neck that's not too chunky.
There seems to be so much variation in neck dimensions, you really need to try as many as you can.

Of course, that can be a fun search for your ideal P bass
Good luck with it :)

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1472982762' post='3125704']
I was quoting from the Fender website - Are the details incorrect? 41.02mm
[/quote]

Nope, you are bang on right according to Fender spec.
But I would bet their spec is wrong. Believe me dood, they have form :lol: .
I'll seeif I can sweet talk an owner to measure one.

Edited by karlfer