Why become a member? ×

I've raised the Bat signal

MiltyG565

After an extended period out of the game, I've decided that I wanted to be poorer and have less time to myself, so I've put up an ad looking for muse-icians to form a band with.

The impetus for this is that I just love music, and I want to have fun jamming and playing some cool music again, and performing would be cool if we get that far. But my main reason is that I want to have fun - I'm not interested in some ego-maniac guitarist that thinks they're going to sell-out the O2 arena by 2020.

If any of you folks know musicians in the county Antrim area (parts of Derry and Down also handy enough), please point them in my direction so we can have a frank and open discussion (make horrible sounds with our instruments) about forming a band.

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1472901935' post='3125198']
Good for you Milty!! It's like a drug!
[/quote]

It's something I haven't done for a few years, but I feel now that I'm at a place where it would not only be beneficial but highly recommended. I have a decent income to support hiring rehearsal space and for maintenance of my instruments, so why not?

I'd even play a few gigs for free if it comes to it ;)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1472911270' post='3125291']
Sometimes I just want to jam. But alot of musicians don't actually know, either how to or dont know the language of music. It really suffocates music when people don't understand even the basics.
[/quote]

Oh maybe I won't bother with it then.

Hmmmmm ... there's jamming and there's jamming.

Going along to an open mic or blues jam can be a lot of fun, and what you need is essentially knowledge of the tunes being played (eg Red House) or at least of the form being used (eg 12 bar blues).

Going to a serious freeform jam with a bunch of high quality jazzers is a whole nother thang.

Milty, I don't know if you use Facebook, but there's a page called Join and Jam Ireland, which is aimed at getting folks together for a jam...maybe something more.
I know most of the members are in the south - but it might be worth a look, or even setting up a similar page locally.

EDIT : I really like the ad's no-nonsense approach. Maybe consider including a couple of bands you'd like to sound like?

Edited by OddBass65

[quote name='OddBass65' timestamp='1472939810' post='3125525']
EDIT : I really like the ad's no-nonsense approach. Maybe consider including a couple of bands you'd like to sound like?
[/quote]

I'll be sending my CV off to Saatchi and Saatchi with the ad attached in the morning, but I deliberately left out bands that I want to sound like because I don't want to pigeon-hole what could be (but even I'll admit probably won't be) a glorious meet of musical ideas. If I wanted to be like another band, I'd post an ad for that. I just want to find like-minded musicians who are interested in a bit of fun. I've already had a response from a guitarist.