Why become a member? ×

Should we be installing these in our basses?

TheGreek

When you take into account the amount we're spending on our equipment maybe it's time we were installing these to our equipment. Maybe there's a away to retrofit one without having to take a huge chunk out of our beloved instruments, etc. $29 seems not too much to have that extra piece of mind.

http://www.thefinanceadvocate.com/us/lifestyle/trackr-1/?a=474672&s1=08-29_DT_TKR_CompHL_7030_UK&s2=7033srsly&s3=&s4=&s5=

Just ordered some. Mostly for my wallet and keys, as I'm forever misplacing them. Will report back.

BTW, if anyone is going to buy some, use this referral code and we both get one extra free:
[url="http://mandrillapp.com/track/click/30157774/www.thetrackr.com?p=eyJzIjoiYWFaUk1yTUpnT0pCalhlUnZnR0k3VDlMYmxnIiwidiI6MSwicCI6IntcInVcIjozMDE1Nzc3NCxcInZcIjoxLFwidXJsXCI6XCJodHRwczpcXFwvXFxcL3d3dy50aGV0cmFja3IuY29tXFxcLz9yZWZfY29kZT04MTVZWlwiLFwiaWRcIjpcImM4M2FlNzBjYTgxNDQ1NDViNzE5OWQ0NmEyZjA3YTFjXCIsXCJ1cmxfaWRzXCI6W1wiY2U2NTdhNjhmM2U4ZjE1OTY0ZDViZWU3MTEzZTM3Y2YzNTA5OTdhY1wiXX0ifQ"]https://www.thetrackr.com/?ref_code=815YZ[/url]

Edited by Sharkfinger

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1472830695' post='3124626']
does it need a battery?
[/quote]

It uses a lithium battery that lasts up to a year.

The important thing to note about this device is that it doesn't work the way that you (probably) think it does. It communicates using bluetooth. So it will only report its location if you, or another person with the TrackR app on their phone, is within bluetooth range of it. Otherwise, your bass stays lost.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1472832340' post='3124651']

The important thing to note about this device is that it doesn't work the way that you (probably) think it does. It communicates using bluetooth. So it will only report its location if you, or another person with the TrackR app on their phone, is within bluetooth range of it. Otherwise, your bass stays lost.

S.P.
[/quote]what's that 100 metres? that's not a lot of use is it? apart from finding your glasses or keys

also, if you were of the theiving persuasion, surely the first thing you would do after stealing a bass would be to take it apart to make sure it doesnt have one of these TrackR devices in it - i mean there are only so many places you can "hide" one of these things in a bass...

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1472836078' post='3124688']

So, unless your "lost/stolen" bass is within 10 metres of you, it can't be located ? :blink:
[/quote]

Not unless the thief has the app on their phone or happens to stroll past someone else who does whilst carrying the bass, before the battery runs out on the transponder!

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1472835509' post='3124680']
also, if you were of the theiving persuasion, surely the first thing you would do after stealing a bass would be to take it apart to make sure it doesnt have one of these TrackR devices in it - i mean there are only so many places you can "hide" one of these things in a bass...
[/quote]

Good point, but these sort of people tend to be really really stupid.

However, the bluetooth thing is a bit limiting.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1472832340' post='3124651']

S.P.
[/quote]
Absolutely I contacted the company when they first came out about that and they confirmed what you said. They also didn't know if it would cause interference or noise in your instrument since they had not anticipated that it might be used for that purpose, However I do know a guy in the states who put one inside his guitar and said that his guitar does not pick up signals from the transmitter in the device but then his guitar does have a noise cancelling system inside it.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1472835509' post='3124680']
[/quote]

your typical thief is not that sofisticated ;-) [1]

but the problem I see with this is that until they're widely used they don't really do much...

[1] edit: of sophisticated, even :rolleyes: - Spanish spelling creeping in...

Edited by mcnach