Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge......................Get writing

lurksalot

[font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif][size=6][color=#a52a2a]Septembers Composition Challenge starts Here[/color][/size][/font]

With a shared win in August there are 2 pictures for your consideration as chosen by Leonard Smalls and Lowdown

Leornards choice is[color=#b22222] "[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] a nice bit of Pollock (being more sustainable than Cod) - no.11 or The Blue Poles:"[/font][/color][color=#B22222][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#B22222][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And Lowdowns choice is [/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] an old BW pic of Hitchcock's Bates Motel, [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][/font][/color]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]So there you have it , as Lowdown succinctly describes " [/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]we can have compositions about art that makes you sh*t yourself! "[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I shall try and do a resize and stitch together later on to make it easier to put on soundcloud , but of course you can choose either picture to use as inspiration or both , but good luck. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Small print and Rules etc[/font][/color]
[size=2][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]By entering the competition you agree to the Basschat Terms and Conditions and Forum Guidelines, which are designed to help ensure the forum remains free of offensive and/or illegal behaviour and material. In a nutshell:[/font][/color][/size]

[size=2][b]1) Please avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]. If your track contains explicit lyrics, for example, then please warn other forum users so they can choose for themselves whether to listen to it.[/font][/color]

[b]2) Please make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds included in your track[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] (ie. sounds that you have not recorded yourself, such as samples of other people's music). The owners of Basschat accept no responsibility for infringements of copyright or other forms of legal ownership, which are solely the responsibility of competition entrants. If we spot any breaches of copyright then your track will be removed from the competition.[/font][/color]

[b]3) Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif], taking inspiration from the photo provided. No cheating![/font][/color][/size]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any Questions just ask in the thread and all will become clear.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=5][b]Deadline for entries is midnight on Friday 23rd September ........[/b][size=4] go get em floyd [/size][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by lurksalot

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1472801023' post='3124298']
Having had a slight heads-up on this I made a start yesterday afternoon on a rather random improvisation with a scary feel, taking the Blue Poles as time signature!
It may not be very popular...
[/quote]

Fancy seeing you here mate, it's Chris aka hearingisbelieving from HiFi Wigwam. Thought it was about time I joined a bass forum and this one looks the best one...

look forward to hearing your composition in due course.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1472801023' post='3124298']
Having had a slight heads-up on this I made a start yesterday afternoon on a rather random improvisation with a scary feel, taking the Blue Poles as time signature!
It may not be very popular...
[/quote]
Is it in 8/4? :yarr:

ok, looks like i am first in. i have gone for a sombre and patient approach after last months exuberance. i have not been in a great place mentally recently so i tuned in with the pictures quite quickly. it originally had a cacophony of whispers backing the whole thing but it went off in some really dark tangents and in the end i decided it was not fit for public consumption and took it out. i like to think that i am getting better at the mixing, i certainly took a bit more care over this one. its not perfect as usual but i dont like to over edit or use plugins so it doesnt worry me that it has rough edges.

https://soundcloud.com/christofloffer/chemical-imbalance

yeah, i just dont get on with computer stuff that well generally. i dont knock people who do get on with it though, i just struggle. it always ends up feeling like actually playing the instrument is less important when i start editing out small mistakes or pasting together sections. i always feel much more satisfied with myself when i have got down each section enough to get a reasonable take. slow and fairly neolithic but it keeps it fun for me, but then i am largely a technophobe. doesnt stop me enjoying and admiring other folks tunes and what they can achieve with digital gear though.
if i can suss out the EQ better and produce things better so that they sound clearer then i will be chuffed. thats why i always try to put something in each month, its keeps me focused on improving all aspects.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1473364419' post='3129552']
I have got a guitar effects VST and I'm gonna use it ! I have more guitar and bass effects, amps and knobs to twiddle that I know what to do with , but hey, expect some, loudly, this month :lol:
[/quote]
I'm only now, shaking off your entry from last month.

Still not well, but well enough to present yet another masterpiece for your enjoyment and appraisal. Complicated, this month, with an amalgamation of the two pictures to deal with. We've done it before, though, and doubtless will do it again. It's done, anyway; that's the main thing. Here, then, is...

Wait for it...

Suspense...

(A muted drum roll...)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/insoutenable"]Insoutenable...[/url]

Enjoy.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1473543730' post='3131165']
Still not well, but well enough to present yet another masterpiece for your enjoyment and appraisal. Complicated, this month, with an amalgamation of the two pictures to deal with. We've done it before, though, and doubtless will do it again. It's done, anyway; that's the main thing. Here, then, is...

Wait for it...

Suspense...

(A muted drum roll...)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/dad3353/insoutenable"]Insoutenable...[/url]

Enjoy.
[/quote]
I felt each jab of the knife. Great stuff.

I've got mine down now pretty much. I just need to listen to it on various systems to make sure the eq and whatnot are all hunky dory and I'll be good to go.

On this one I've been using my Maschine Mk II within Reaper to see how it fares. It's not too bad although there could be improvements. I have to set its track to be armed for recording otherwise there'll be huge lag. Arming it sorts that out but it does record a blank midi track in Reaper. Not a problem really, more of a niggle. I also discovered that it can output the midi for an entire group into separate tracks (16 at a time) with each track automatically set to a channel. That would be a good way to compose beats in Maschine and export them to Abbey Road drums in Kontakt or to EZDrummer.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1473710615' post='3132515']
I've got mine down now pretty much. I just need to listen to it on various systems to make sure the eq and whatnot are all hunky dory and I'll be good to go.

On this one I've been using my Maschine Mk II within Reaper to see how it fares. It's not too bad although there could be improvements. I have to set its track to be armed for recording otherwise there'll be huge lag. Arming it sorts that out but it does record a blank midi track in Reaper. Not a problem really, more of a niggle. I also discovered that it can output the midi for an entire group into separate tracks (16 at a time) with each track automatically set to a channel. That would be a good way to compose beats in Maschine and export them to Abbey Road drums in Kontakt or to EZDrummer.
[/quote]

A new version of Kontakt out now (v5.6).
Much sleeker, smoother and quick load is......well .....quicker :)
It also organises all your non library libraries and files much better (again from the browser and quick load).
Also some updates for their (and 3rd party) libraries.

The new download (native access) manager is very quick and works very well.
Good show all round from NI. :hi:

I've got bohemian rhapsody coursing through me, it's on repeat..... Over and over and over. "Mama....." It leads into Jon lennons "mother" and then back to "nothing really matters" while JP dances around my head splashing and thrashing the place. WTF IS GOING ON??? I think it's safe to say I probably won't be putting an entry forward this month.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1473977748' post='3134744']
I've got bohemian rhapsody coursing through me, it's on repeat..... Over and over and over. "Mama....." It leads into Jon lennons "mother" and then back to "nothing really matters" while JP dances around my head splashing and thrashing the place. WTF IS GOING ON??? I think it's safe to say I probably won't be putting an entry forward this month.
[/quote]

All you need is a bridge, some beats, round and round at the end. Job done.
:D

Locks your doors. Turn off the lights. Put headphones on. Turn up the volume. Hide behind your pillow. Never come back.

https://soundcloud.com/mornats/that-place

Drums and percussion
--------------------
NI Maschine
Heavyocity Damage

Synths and pads
---------------
Heavyocity Vocalise (synth pad)
Heavyocity Evolve
NI Rounds
Bigfishaudio Zodiac

Orchestral
----------
Kirk Hunter Solo Strings
NI Session Strings Pro
Miroslav Philharmonik
NI Action Strings
NI Rise & Hit
Spitfire Audio Scary Strings

Choirs and voices
-----------------
Strezov Sampling Storm Choir
Heavyocity Evolve Operatic Choir
Soundiron Olympus Elements Choir (men and women)
Soundiron Sick 1 (voices and monsters)
Embertone Arcane (voices and effects)

Effects
-------
NI Transient Master
Izotope Neutrino
NI Guitar Rig 5
T-racks Classic Comp
NI Solid EQ
NI Passive EQ
NI Supercharger GT
NI Reflektor