Why become a member? ×

b'stard rooms arrghhh.bass player has diva fit

bassjim

This weekend just gone I had three gigs back to back.

Gig 1 = shitish room. bass sound doable but not great. Couldnt get my mojo going but rose above it and stayed profesh.

Gig 2 = Excellent room. Great bass sound. Great band sound. Great levels. Great playing all round but private party so typically wasted on most of the people there but still left gig in high spirits.

Gig 3= probably worst sound ever due to the corner of the room creating a wierd bass trap. In fact so bad that I actually could not distinguish an G from an A ect. I could have twangy like a guitar or mushy bass or turn it off.

Third of the first set in I just had enough. Twiddling like mad using every trick I could think of. Yes it was ok out front but it was so bad that I had a full on diva fit and stopped the gig.

Rearranged the back line. Swapped places with the guitarist and half an hour later carried on where we left off. Although still not the greatest sound but at least doable. Ended up enjoying what started out to be a miserable experience.

The guy that runs the bar told me afterwards that he was glad I did what I did because it made it sound so much better overall and his punters are all asking for us back. He had seen us before so at least he knew what we were capable of so probably made him more understandable.

Any one else lost the will to live in these circumstances and thrown professional attitude out the window and had a full on bitch fit out of sheer frustration when playing in a room that makes you all sound like some 16 year old amature band on their first outing?

I appoligised to all band members during impromtu break by the way and resetup telling them I couldn't carry on but they were ok with it. They could tell by my face and shrugs I was reaching a breaking point.

Guitarist went in the sh*tty corner as he thought I was over reacting and although he too sounded ok where I was now standing had a bad experience.

But all the same ...Diva fit eh?....never done that before

One band I play in occasionally gets too too loud, and a couple of times now I've been faced with a) turn up further and compete, thereby making the noise even worse, or b)turn the bass completely off and mime for the audience's sake. B wins each time, as it also removes a bit of sound pressure, but it's usually about 3 songs before the buggers notice!
Maybe next time it happens, I'll be armed with an orange. :yarr:

Yes.......snickers....oranges...jazz fags.....these are all solutions to before and during but has any one actually had a melt due to bad acoustics and if so how did it go/turn out in the end.

More spinal tap the better but sensible solutions and outcomes equally welcome

I swapped the bass and guitar over in the interval on one gig. I was in the corner and it sounded terrible. The guitarist was fine, which was fortunate.

I came back to that gig a couple of years later and went into the corner again. This time the sound was fine. The difference. . . . Bergantino cabs. They seem to attenuate the bass response and always worked well on difficult or boomy stages.

hubrad touched on it - volume. There is a point a which a room will bite back and all band members need to recognise that point and turn down. I have done a few gigs with that pissed off look on my face, not good for the punters to remember you by. two different occasions come to mind, a masonic dinner in an oak paneled room, I had read up on acoustics due to owning the PA and one suggestion was reducing the number of sources of prorogation, = to place both PA speakers together on one side of the stage - crazy - No. it worked a treat and after that my guitarist was open to any silly trick i came up with as long as he didn't have to turn down. So bass and guitar swapping sides is a good move 50/50 chance of shifting troublesome frequencies somewhere else. 2nd occasion was college dinner dance in Oxford, we had to play dinner music painfully quiet for an hour - we sounded great, after dinner tables were moved and we launched into our pop set - it was bloody awful. The hard stone surfaces were not able to handle it it it it it

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1472643831' post='3122835']
This weekend just gone I had three gigs back to back.

Gig 1 = shitish room. bass sound doable but not great. Couldnt get my mojo going but rose above it and stayed profesh.

Gig 2 = Excellent room. Great bass sound. Great band sound. Great levels. Great playing all round but private party so typically wasted on most of the people there but still left gig in high spirits.

Gig 3= probably worst sound ever due to the corner of the room creating a wierd bass trap. In fact so bad that I actually could not distinguish an G from an A ect. I could have twangy like a guitar or mushy bass or turn it off.[/quote]

You had 3 paying gigs in one weekend, that's fantastic! I personally love 3 gig weekends, we had one a few weeks ago.

There are guys here on bass chat that won't see 3 gigs over the next 6 months.

Blue

I've had this happen a number of times and usually just put up with it because I couldn't work out the cause, once or twice I've moved my cabinet onto a table/stand or tilted it back which helped.

Having a proper sound check is invaluable, the same song each time so you can get an idea of the room acoustics, don't play too loud either, good luck with that though.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1472654723' post='3122966']
One band I play in occasionally gets too too loud, and a couple of times now I've been faced with a) turn up further and compete, thereby making the noise even worse, or b)turn the bass completely off and mime for the audience's sake. B wins each time, as it also removes a bit of sound pressure, but it's usually about 3 songs before the buggers notice!
Maybe next time it happens, I'll be armed with an orange. :yarr:
[/quote]

I like your style B)