Why become a member? ×

Cort Artisan Basses

Hutton

look very similar and sound similar to ibanez SRs of comparable prices, nice touches with the Hipshot parts though. pickups and pre amp seem very similar (well the pickups are the same in being the Bartolini MK1's)
string spacing however is wider on the 5 being 18mm, ibanez SR are 16.5mm (mostly) so if the SRs are anything to go by the cort's will be great
note ive never seen one before those videos though so huge speculation B)

Edited by lowhand_mike

I've had both an A4 and a B4 and thought they were both fantastic basses, and in my opinion are up there with basses worth double. I did change the Bartolinis for Nordstrand pickups (the A4 had already had them fitted and I saw some going cheap on ebay so fitted them to the B4) but they were already pretty brilliant basses. Buy with confidence.

I have the B5 OPM and the C5P, very well put together basses and the B series has very nice woods. Can't fault them really, I also had a Cort factory Ibanez EDB 5 (again nice build and woods) and the low B on the Corts was much better. If I hadn't bought a Sire V7 I would be keeping the B5, still holding on to the C5P as a backup bass. The Hipshot Licensed are as good as the real deal, I'm going to be fitting some to the Sire at some point as I miss them!

I had an A6 and it was genuinely lovely to play - probably the easiest bass I've owned to get a really low action from - and the build quality was excellent.
The Hipshot bridge was solid but to be honest I actually thought the design was a bit unnecessarily complicated.
Ultimately though I didn't fall in love with the pre-amp as much as the rest of the bass and started having GAS for something more traditional so moved it on and bought a Jazz and a Precision.
If you like the Bartolini sound though, I genuinely don't think you can buy a better bass for the money.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1472720336' post='3123565']
Beautifully built, great components, silky smooth to play - for me the only weakness is the bart mk1 clone preamp...
[/quote]

The new Cort Artisan A Plus, B Plus and C Plus basses now employ a Markbass MB-1 EQ in place of the old Bartolini design preamp.

I was going to put a John East preamp (the Uni pre 5) in mine before I succumbed to another Dingwall....

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1472760631' post='3124070']
The new Cort Artisan A Plus, B Plus and C Plus basses now employ a Markbass MB-1 EQ in place of the old Bartolini design preamp.
[/quote]

I still have one! A4 Custom-SP. I like mine a lot, and it's purrrdy. Yes, that's a T-Bird in my avatar. Ahem....

I don't particularly like playing the 'as good as a bass worth X times more' game as so often it's horses for courses. I think it gives a great sound, has a great feel and comfortable. Can be very P-like if needed, but also can give more 'active' tones with a small adjustment. Not a super slim neck, but nicely navigable.

Personally, I like the Bart preamp - although it's interesting Cort have gone a to a Mark Bass preamp now, as has been mentioned. I find it a versatile preamp, with enough there to both shape and boost as required - but the blend pot is often as much as is needed, I find. I must say I appreciated the preamp more when I went to my current (Berg/MB) rig. I could 'hear' what the bass was sounding like in a way I hadn't before.

Hope that helps. If the OP wasn't at the other end of the country, I'd offer a lend....

Edited by Tonteee

Thanks once again for all the very helpful comments. I find myself drawn to these basses for some reason but as I live in a city where the music shops have no imagination it is unlikely that I will get to try one out before buying so all comments here are much appreciated. Also, particular thanks to Tonteee for the offer of a lend. In how many forums would you find that kind of camaraderie?

Edited by Hutton