Why become a member? ×

N(TM)BD MIM Jazz

nosnowking

Can't believe I've been playing nearly a quarter of a century and this is my first Fender! Mexican Jazz circa 2001. Kent Armstrongs and Badass II fitted already.

[url="http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/nosnowking/media/20160830_0952151_zpsfxsrsz83.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/nosnowking/media/20160830_0952331_zpshblxf6is.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/nosnowking/media/20160830_0952411_zpstaoztafb.jpg.html"][/url]

I've been after a Fender for years, but have struggled to find one that I'd be willing to part with cash for (in fact, the majority have been dog-rough and not worth half the asking price...new or used!!!)

Picked up this Mexican Jazz on ebay, well used and gigged, which to me is a sign that most of the problems will have been ironed out by now.

If the last owner is reading this, Hi, and sorry for taking sandpaper to your bass :D

Gave it a setup this morning, including neck shim, trussrod tweak and cleanup. Scratchplate is a little warped...I did the heatgun and stack of books trick but it's still a little squiffy, although not enough to bother me that much. Took a sheet of wet&dry to the horrible gloss finish on the back of the neck...nice smooth matte feel to it now :D

I've got a J-Retro preamp on order which will hopefully arrive this week. I've always had active basses and never really got on with the VVT controls on a Jazz so they've got to go.

Sounds great, plays great...as a second bass that I'm going to gig and play a lot it's perfect!

Edited by nosnowking

Nice bass. You can get a cheap replacement scratchplate on ebay for about 4 quid - from China
They're pretty good quality, and fairly tough, properly laminated....

Yes, some Fenders can be bad, but get a good one, and you'll know it.
I've got a few, and love them all - but have had some not so good ones too. My Roadworn Jazz and P basses are absolutely stunning.
Glad you like yours - I like the VVT controls on my Jazz. I prefer simple controls on the bass TBH. I set them to roughly mid-way, and do EQ'ing on the amp, to suit the venue. Then I've got room for manouvre either way, at hand, on the bass...
But each to their own - I had active basses and a few that had loads of control knobs. I found I was forever fiddling then ;)

Enjoy your fab looking new toy

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1472566814' post='3122169']
Nice bass. You can get a cheap replacement scratchplate on ebay for about 4 quid - from China
They're pretty good quality, and fairly tough, properly laminated....

Yes, some Fenders can be bad, but get a good one, and you'll know it.
I've got a few, and love them all - but have had some not so good ones too. My Roadworn Jazz and P basses are absolutely stunning.
Glad you like yours - I like the VVT controls on my Jazz. I prefer simple controls on the bass TBH. I set them to roughly mid-way, and do EQ'ing on the amp, to suit the venue. Then I've got room for manouvre either way, at hand, on the bass...
But each to their own - I had active basses and a few that had loads of control knobs. I found I was forever fiddling then ;)

Enjoy your fab looking new toy
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip on the ebay scratchplates...I was a suspicious that they'd be a bit tacky and poor quality.

I persevered with the VVT for all of about a day, lol. The pots were a little scratchy and they seemed to do nothing then surge in volume at the last 1/8 turn or so. I couldn't see myself adjusting on the fly at a gig with dodgy controls like that. Anyway, the preamp arrived today...

[url="http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/nosnowking/media/20160901_154926_zpsrpj3jqor.jpg.html"][/url]

The J Retro is very nice indeed. I bought the one with the preshape which does make the bass sound a bit hi-fi for my taste when flat, however a quick bump on the mid control and all that lovely bridge-pickup growl is back. I was a bit concerned that the sound would be too sterile, but the preamp is quite transparent and retains all the jazz bass goodness. Very happy :D

Now i just need to get the frets dressed, there's a bit of wear causing some buzz here and there. Any recommendations for a good setup in Surrey anyone?