Why become a member? ×

Spector Euro 4 or Musicman Stingray.

bayles

Ok folks , Im sure there has been similar posts to this before but here it goes.
Im a fender player all my life and have also been holding out for years to get myself a Musicman Stingray , in particular one that was for sale here but i just didint have the cash at the time .. Buttermilk with matching headstock and maple board !! , stunning looking machine however its gone now.

Anyhooo when i finally got a bit of cash together a lovely 03 Euro Spector happened to come up for sale which i bought instead , a mate of mine uses them so i was familiar enough with them to know i would like it. Thing is now that i really love it however a part of me still wants to get a Musicman .... am i mad to go for the musicman over the Euro 4 or should i go for it ... Now im sure i will get Musicman fans who wouldn't use a Spector and Spector fans who wouldn't use a Musicman but is there anyone here who has had both and can give an opinion

decisions decisions :( !!!

Cheers

Someone will be along to shoot me down in a minute, but....

I, too, had wanted a Spector - AND a Stingray. I watched countless demos of the Spector as they are extremely hard to come by in Scotland, and what I ultimately concluded was that, the Spector does one particular thing extremely well, but to my ears, appeared to lack the versatility I was looking for in a bass. It also seems like it might be a bit overpowering in a band setting. Great basses for rock/metal, mind you.

But bear in mind I haven't played one.

I have owned both and now have 2 Stingrays.

Really wanted to love the Spector as it was a significant birthday prezzie from the missus - kept it for 3 years but never really fell for it. I couldn't quite get on with the neck feeling so way out left and it didn't quite have the sound i was looking for. I was looking for zingy meaty grunt and it was a bit too sterile for me.

Bought a US MM Sub and it sold me on Stingrays.......i now have 2 and its killed my GAS

Have you been stalking my posts? Until recently my main basses were a Warwick SS1 and a Spector Euro - this has now been complimented by the recent addition of an EBMM Sterling. I had asked the Basschat community if an EBMM Stingray or Sterling would bring anything new to the party and the concensus was a resounding yes and the rest is history. Anyway back to your question asking for a comparison between a Spector Euro and an EBMM Stingray ...

The Euro is much more modern sounding - by that I mean fuller and more compressed, mainly as a result of its active EMG pickups. It possibly has less variety in its sounds but the sound of the Euro is the sound that I want for 80-90% of the stuff I do, it's also extremely easy and forgiving to play. For all of the reasons, my Euro is the bass that I use most often. The Stingray, on the other hand, can produce an extremely wide variety of sounds from its single, passive pickup and is much more responsive to the "tone" in your fingers - I never really understood what people meant about tone being in your fingers until I played a Stingray (and its brother, the Sterling), it really does give a huge range of tones depending on how its played. This dynamism really rewards good playing but is possibly less forgiving than the Euro to inconsistent playing.

Now, a little something to confuse things for you - have you considered a Sterling? Not a "Music Man by Sterling" but a USA EBMM Sterling. This is what I opted for in the end. It's got three way switching on the pickup giving you easy access to different tones ranging from slightly more modern than the Stingray (ie. bright and ringing) to a good impression of its older brother. It also has a smaller / lighter body and a narrower neck which appealed to me being a Euro / SS1 player already.

Edited by darkandrew

Thanks lads .. I see this conversation leaning one way alright as i suspected it might .. Id love to be able to have both but i aint parting with my 1970 P Bass thats for sure !!. Im thinking i might hang on to the Spector for another few weeks at least just to be sure, before i take the final leap