Why become a member? ×

Any of you cover/pub bands run with two drummers ?

Les

I know the money and generally the space won't allow but we have our regular lad and a couple of ace deps (ex band members)
and I'm curioous as to how it would work and sound.

Thinking of giving it a whirl at an appropriate venue :D

Anyone do it or done it ?

Les

I got two drummers to a rehearsal once... it didn't work.
They both got a bit paranoid that the other guy was replacing them, barely spoke to each other, and played like maniacs...
I just heard a radio ad for a Led Zep tribute band playing here in Dublin soon...with three drummers !
it may be just me, but I can't for the life of me see the point in having more than one.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1472252858' post='3119911']
I don't think many people do Glitter Band covers any more.

:biggrin:
[/quote]

Watched a band in my local a month or so ago do Leader of the gang but changed the chorus to

"D'ya wanna be in Thailand Thailand Thailand."

Genius

They could just about play ok but couldn't sing a note between them but one the most entertaining and audience engaging bands I've seen for a while. :D

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1472253783' post='3119917']
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='OddBass65' timestamp='1472253756' post='3119916']
I can't for the life of me see the point in having more than one.
[/quote]

Can you imagine the logistics, apart from anything else? TWO loads of drum cases cluttering up the stage and put on top of your rig without permission, TWO people to go and find when it's time to go on stage - probably from TWO different pubs!

And I bet NEITHER of them will have their own transport!

[quote name='OddBass65' timestamp='1472253756' post='3119916']
it may be just me, but I can't for the life of me see the point in having more than one.
[/quote]

totally agree, this wouldn't be a very regular thing but would be a bit different for everyone involved and hopefully look good, and hopefully even sound good.

Mid 70's I was in a band with two drummers, different styles complimented each other.

[attachment=226470:Wildlife 2.jpg][attachment=226471:A Brace Of Drummists.jpg][attachment=226472:Wildlife 3.jpg]

https://soundcloud.com/james-inglis-934110996/good-time-wildlife-1975

Edited by goingdownslow

I saw Kamasi Washington live recently, he has two drummers and it worked superbly well. Made the inevitable drum solo/duet almost bearable although during the rest of the set I did wonder if each drummer was actually playing half as much as they usually would.

I'd love to give playing in that kind of set up a go, but I imagine most pubs/small venues would sh*t themselves if you arrived and set up two kits.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472259793' post='3119936']
This is one of my, so far, unfulfilled dreams. I'd love to play with 2 drummers.

The Tedeschi Trucks Band, The Allman Brothers Band and the Doobie Brothers all sound great with 2 drummers so it can be done.
[/quote]

Plus the Miles Davis band in the Bitches Brew era.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1472290579' post='3120057']
I think this is why you don't see any Adam and the ants tribute bands. Two drummers would be hard to get in a pub.
[/quote]

I don't get why tributes would play a pub.... unless it is more than a typical pub venue and there is a door charge.

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472259793' post='3119936']
This is one of my, so far, unfulfilled dreams. I'd love to play with 2 drummers.

The Tedeschi Trucks Band, The Allman Brothers Band and the Doobie Brothers all sound great with 2 drummers so it can be done.
[/quote]
This. TTB sound incredible live with two drummers. Not quite the Dog & Duck though!!

The Fall and The Dirtbombs are two bands i've seen with two drummers working very effectively. The Dirtbombs were in the Faversham in Leeds, and also Josephs Wells, and the Ruby Lounge in Manchester, so kinda pub venues. The Melvins didn't bring their second drummer when I saw them recently, but live videos I've seen suggest it would have been brilliant if they had.

[quote name='Les' timestamp='1472253783' post='3119917']

Watched a band in my local a month or so ago do Leader of the gang but changed the chorus to

Genius

They could just about play ok but couldn't sing a note between them but one the most entertaining and audience engaging bands I've seen for a while. :D
[/quote]

I was working at a school last year, they have an after school club run by the local church, I could hear them playing a cd to dance along to, "do you wanna be in god's gang, god's gang, god's gang?", :o errr no I'm good thanks :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1472307153' post='3120228']
I was working at a school last year, they have an after school club run by the local church, I could hear them playing a cd to dance along to, "do you wanna be in god's gang, god's gang, god's gang?", :o errr no I'm good thanks :)
[/quote]

Depends if it was the local Catholic church...