Why become a member? ×

Quilter Bass Block 800

Opticaleye

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474012085' post='3134841']
Sure, but once you pay any local sales tax, vat and duty the numbers are not that different. And then you have warranty issues having saved 10% at best
[/quote]

At the size it is, fold up the box, put the amp in it's gig bag, put it in your hand luggage. Tiny piece of gear!

I'm off to Florida soon and I'm going to get a few pedals and maybe one of these ridiculously small latest gen amps, but more than likely the Guitar Tone Block 201.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474014386' post='3134869']
At the size it is, fold up the box, put the amp in it's gig bag, put it in your hand luggage. Tiny piece of gear!

I'm off to Florida soon and I'm going to get a few pedals and maybe one of these ridiculously small latest gen amps, but more than likely the Guitar Tone Block 201.
[/quote]

All assuming you don't get stopped :)

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1474011294' post='3134836']
Yeah, but that price is pants when it's $599 in the states and has universal power supply (100-240v). Next person I know heading to the styates might have to make a wee purchase on my behalf...
[/quote]

This is a discussion we've had many times! I now take it for granted that a product costing $X in the US will cost £X in the UK.

I do like the concept of those tone controls, nice to hear they work too.

@Opticaleye, will you have a chance to gig or rehearse with this soon?

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1474017195' post='3134896']

This is a discussion we've had many times! I now take it for granted that a product costing $X in the US will cost £X in the UK.

I do like the concept of those tone controls, nice to hear they work too.

[/quote]

This I know. Doesn't make it any less frustrating! At least it's not hamstrung by being fixed voltage per region like a Mesa...

sure, mesa pricing in the UK and Europe is egregious..

However $599 + sales tax (lowest in any state you're likely to visit unless you go to Alaska) means you'll pay $629 to take it out of the door.

$629 = £490 at a damn fine dollar buy rate. Plus 20% VAT = £587. PLus 3.4% Duty = £606...

So in this instance I don't think anyone is being greedy..

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1474017195' post='3134896']
[/quote]

I have jam night with the One10 on Tuesday, a rehearsal with my TKS1126 on Wednesday and a pub gig in Witney on the Saturday (24th).
The regular equipment at the jam is one Aguilar SL112 but I'll take my modified Markbass Minimark (modified to work as a cab only as an option) to put underneath for a bit more speaker area and 4ohm in case the drummer's too loud.

I have a really good feeling about this amp. It sounds very high quality. I was taken aback by the bottom end headroom and "touch response".

Edited by Opticaleye

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474015109' post='3134877']

All assuming you don't get stopped :)
[/quote]

True. Bought a lot of clothing and other things in the past from the USA and never had a question. Same with old handheld consoles years back. Even when I had the box with them.

How would they know I'd bought it in the USA?

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474023204' post='3135006']
True. Bought a lot of clothing and other things in the past from the USA and never had a question. Same with old handheld consoles years back. Even when I had the box with them.

How would they know I'd bought it in the USA?
[/quote]

They don't have to prove it. You do... Also the fact you have the box/packaging folded up in your other luggage might be a clue :)

Usually they only require you to pay the VAT and duty, but they can seize as well...

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474023600' post='3135014']

They don't have to prove it. You do... Also the fact you have the box/packaging folded up in your other luggage might be a clue :)

Usually they only require you to pay the VAT and duty, but they can seize as well...
[/quote]

Well, we shall see. I'll probably have a go regardless. They could also ask if I'd bought my iPod over there, or a watch, in fact anything....which I may/may not have (and in this case won't have).

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474024719' post='3135033']
Well, we shall see. I'll probably have a go regardless. They could also ask if I'd bought my iPod over there, or a watch, in fact anything....which I may/may not have (and in this case won't have).
[/quote]

They have access to serial number databases and are not idiots.. Having travelled to and from the USA 10-12 times a year in a previous job, I did bring stuff in and did get stopped (camera in this instance). I got away with paying just the VAT and Duty but I suspect had I put an attitude on it would have been seized...

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1474024462' post='3135028']
I remember when the Markbass LM II came out and it was the same price in dollars as in pounds and that was built in Europe!

It was still a bargain compared to other 500w amps at the time.
[/quote]

I think due to volumes, and perhaps good old fashioned greed, it seems UK 'dealers' (really necessary in 2016?!) add a huge chunk for essentially storing stock.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1474026912' post='3135075']
I think due to volumes, and perhaps good old fashioned greed, it seems UK 'dealers' (really necessary in 2016?!) add a huge chunk for essentially storing stock.
[/quote]

I think it's more to with tariffs and regulations tbh. It works the same the other way round too with European gear. I couldn't help but notice that there is a £600 difference between a Sandberg Marlowe DK in the US to the price in the UK and the Basswitch DI costs nearly £100 more over there.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1474027715' post='3135087']

I think it's more to with tariffs and regulations tbh. It works the same the other way round too with European gear. I couldn't help but notice that there is a £600 difference between a Sandberg Marlowe DK in the US to the price in the UK and the Basswitch DI costs nearly £100 more over there.
[/quote]

Oh wow, I see. They pay a premium for products like Orange over the in USA. I think the Tiny Terror (etc) was a very fair price here, sold like mad, over there, it was almost like 'unique brit products, full tube, tiny footprint, where do I sign?' and they paid boutique prices for them.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1474031297' post='3135134']
Only adds 3.4 % to the price... Which I'm happy to pay to stop US HMO's taking over the NHS...
[/quote]

And the cost of CE conformity for electrical goods. TTIP would appear to be dead in the water anyway. But we digress...

My report after 2 nights of testing.

1st night.

Blues Jam where I provided the backline with the BB800 going into my Barefaced One10. This was as much a test of the One10 for me and both amp and cab came through with honours.
I used the Bass Block mostly with the EQ set flat and this was perfect for the One10 on the night. A warm, full but detailed sound that sat with the band well (I sat out front while others used it at first). It was competing with 2 guitarists using Blues/ProJuniors flat out and fairly loud drummers and coped well volume-wise set with the gain halfway and the master set around 600watts (I was using just the 8 ohm cab so 300-ish) Alex at Barefaced says that the cab can take up to 500 watts if set clean and there was plenty left on the gain.

2nd night.

Band rehearsal with one TKS1126. I had more of a frame of reference for this, the room being notorious but familiar. Guitarist using home made valve amp and 4x12 cab and keyboard using a QSC K12.
I started with the EQ flat and the sound wasn't too bloomy in the lows as I have had before with this cab in this room and the bass sounded full, present and clear but not too forward in this mid hungry room. Moving the Deep control to the left activates the HPF and this is where the amp is perfect for this particular cab. Still full but the mids now shone through.

In summary, not as "old school vintage" as my Markbass TTE801 but anything but sterile and mild mannered. The sound does seem to get thicker on the higher gain settings with a little break up in the 8-10 range but I kept it around 5-6 mostly which was full enough with plenty of oomph and headroom to spare. A very classy piece of kit with Pat Quilter's very strong reputation for reliability.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1474551315' post='3138744'] My report after 2 nights of testing. 1st night. Blues Jam where I provided the backline with the BB800 going into my Barefaced One10. This was as much a test of the One10 for me and both amp and cab came through with honours. I used the Bass Block mostly with the EQ set flat and this was perfect for the One10 on the night. A warm, full but detailed sound that sat with the band well (I sat out front while others used it at first). It was competing with 2 guitarists using Blues/ProJuniors flat out and fairly loud drummers and coped well volume-wise set with the gain halfway and the master set around 600watts (I was using just the 8 ohm cab so 300-ish) Alex at Barefaced says that the cab can take up to 500 watts if set clean and there was plenty left on the gain. 2nd night. Band rehearsal with one TKS1126. I had more of a frame of reference for this, the room being notorious but familiar. Guitarist using home made valve amp and 4x12 cab and keyboard using a QSC K12. I started with the EQ flat and the sound wasn't too bloomy in the lows as I have had before with this cab in this room and the bass sounded full, present and clear but not too forward in this mid hungry room. Moving the Deep control to the left activates the HPF and this is where the amp is perfect for this particular cab. Still full but the mids now shone through. In summary, not as "old school vintage" as my Markbass TTE801 but anything but sterile and mild mannered. The sound does seem to get thicker on the higher gain settings with a little break up in the 8-10 range but I kept it around 5-6 mostly which was full enough with plenty of oomph and headroom to spare. A very classy piece of kit with Pat Quilter's very strong reputation for reliability. [/quote]

Wondering whether the thickness at higher gain settings has something to do with the built in limiter.

[quote name='sk8' timestamp='1474872826' post='3141085']
Wondering whether the thickness at higher gain settings has something to do with the built in limiter.
[/quote]

I did my first proper gig with it on Saturday and ran it through my Barefaced One10. It was a gig I knew wouldn't need my TKS volume-wise.
Even so, when I first plugged in I noticed a lot of overblown bass from the One10 direct on a wooden floor.
30 seconds of adjusting the 2 tone controls and I'd found a sound that I didn't need to change all night. I'd dialled in a little of the HPF setting on the Deep control and left the contour flat.
I set the gain around at 7.5 (all controls are notched) and the tone was full and rich but still detailed. One more notch on the gain and I would have been in break-up territory but, as it was, I had a harmonic rich vintage tone. Our keyboard player kept looking round to express his appreciation and disbelief that the sound was coming from such a small package.
As far as the limiters (there are 2) there doesn't appear to be any restraint of the signal. The low end, in particular, sounds free and effortless and the "thickness" seems to come from added harmonics similar to how the Basswitch Sonic Spark works.
Here's a technical explanation from Pat Quilter, http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/products/bassblock-amplifiers/bass-block-in-depth