Why become a member? ×

using bass amp in hi-fi rig as a woofer?!

goonieman

Hi All,

I have a hifi rig i'd like to boost with a woofer... a TC RS112.

The amp is a NAD 3020i - it has the stand connectors for left and right channels (screw connectors - 2 for each channel).

How would I even begin adding the TC to this mix, considering speaker load and all that drama?

I'm pretty newto this stuff - and have not been able to find anything online.

cheers!

Hmm, I don't think it's going to be as easy as you think.

You'll need two things in place to use this sort of set up to make it work, a crossover so that only the bass goes to the TC and an amp to drive it, though i guess you have a bass amp??

You could easily enough drive the bass amp using the tape output or you could remove the jumpers from the pre out and use the hi fi version of the effects loop. However you are going to find the TC is so much louder than your hi fi that it isn't going to be easy to get a good balance. On top of that bass speakers don't go as low as hi fi ones generally so you'll get more bass but not deeper bass and less realistic sound.

All in all you'd probably be better off looking at a proper hi fi sub woofer with all the electronics built in. Maybe go and ask at your nearest Richer sounds or other hi fi stockist.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1472134365' post='3118788']
Just to add a further complication, a decent, accurate hi-fi sub is not cheap. Rather than get a cheapo, if you put the money you would have spent on it towards upgrading your hi fi speakers, the result will almost certainly be better.
[/quote]

IMO investing a pair of floor standers is a much better bet than adding a subwoofer - IME even budget floor standers sound much better than quite an expensive subwoofer + shelf/satellite speakers setup.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1472300606' post='3120158']

IMO investing a pair of floor standers is a much better bet than adding a subwoofer - IME even budget floor standers sound much better than quite an expensive subwoofer + shelf/satellite speakers setup.
[/quote]

Yup.