Why become a member? ×

Vantage double-P in Bournemouth

alyctes

I suspect this is quite unusual - no doubt someone with actual knowledge will be along soon :)

I'm not going to go and see it, because I already have too many basses (one in, five out rule now in effect :D )

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/vantage-bass-guitar/1183007152

Hard to gauge price on something so uncommon - Vantages seldom turn up in the UK and I can't remember the last time I saw a set-neck twin P. Think this is a VP-710B, if Google's correct.

Sub - £300 would be nice but this is pretty much unplayed-looking - looks like it's lived in its case under someone's bed for the last 35 years.

Jon.

Yeah double P Vantages are very rare and this is the first one I've seen with 2 Ps and a set back. Sadly the bridges in the set necks are totally naff and the rest of the hardware isn't up to much either.
However I think they still have the dimarzio pups so shouldn't be terrible.

I am lucky enough to have a 1980 Vantage double P but mine is the top of the range model with neck thru, 18v active EQ. I changed the EQ for an Aguilar OPB3 and the pups for SD 1/4lbers, now it is an absolute tone monster!😈

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1472677005' post='3123280']
Yeah double P Vantages are very rare and this is the first one I've seen with 2 Ps and a set back. Sadly the bridges in the set necks are totally naff and the rest of the hardware isn't up to much either.
However I think they still have the dimarzio pups so shouldn't be terrible.
[/quote]

Agree about the bridges - as well as being a clunky, dated fudge of a design in the first place, it seems Matsumoku used a batch made from cheese on a lot of basses from this period - I've seen numerous examples that have bent, distorted or cracked under string tension. This was my Westbury Track 2:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:72631]

Tuners should be decent on the Vantage though, they'll be Vantage-branded Gotohs.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1472679273' post='3123318']
... it seems Matsumoku used a batch made from cheese on a lot of basses from this period ...
[/quote]

I like cheese, but there's a time and a place for everything...

I have one of those (and have had several Vantages), and apart from the bridge (which was also bent) everything is more than decent!
An epiphone 3-point bridge fits them perfectly, and they come along from time to time for not much money so it's easily replaced :)

In my opinion, £300 is what it should be going for, and you get a LOT of bass for your money.