Why become a member? ×

Do you use manufacturer strings on your bass?

darkandrew

No.
I just experiment and over time I find what strings I like, and I use those. It may vary from bass to bass, not so much because another string brand is more suitable for bass X, but because I found a sound/feel I like on a particular bass and I keep it that way.

Stingray: I use... Ernie Ball (funny enough) Cobalts on the Stingray, but DR Fat Beams on the EBMM SUB.
Fender: DR Fat beams on the Precision, DR Fat Beams on the Jazz
Squier: Fender steels on the Mike Dirnt, Ernie Ball nickel on the Jazz, DR Fat Beams on the Matt Freeman Jazz
Maruszczyk: DR Fat beams...
... I guess I really like DR Fat Beams!

[quote name='Painy' timestamp='1471990734' post='3117564']
Only time I tried this was a set of Warwick red labels on my Corvette.
Unfortunately the red label strings were completely poo.
[/quote]

I actually like them! A bit rough but sound great. It's my go-to string for new (to me) basses that I am not sure I'll keep, as they're pretty cheap.

Sometimes.

Quite like Fodera strings and the very light gauge (used to be the Wooten sigs) work really well on 4 string Monarchs.

Ritter swordsteels also work well on Jens' basses. He has some interesting gauges as standard fit items.

Oh, how could I forget Status. I love 30-90 Hotwires on my Streamline!

Edited by molan

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1471990832' post='3117567']

I actually like them! A bit rough but sound great. It's my go-to string for new (to me) basses that I am not sure I'll keep, as they're pretty cheap.
[/quote]

To be fair I bought them heavily discounted from Sound Control (as was) as they'd had them hanging around on the shelf for literally years so I'm guessing they may have been some way past their best by the time they went on my my bass.

I have to say yes to this. Although I've tried all kinds if strings over the years and have my own preferences, I currently have Warwick strings on my Warwick and Fender strings on my Fender. I've swapped out the Fender strings a few times, but still keep putting the originals back on... I rather like the mighty tapered 110 E string.

Yes and No. I am a big believer in changing strings to get something different out of the bass before looking to modify. Flats on a jazz sound very different to rounds. In the past I've played a Warwick bass, Warwick black label strings through a Warwick amp and that worked best for me. I like fender strings on a fender jazz (flats or rounds) for the low price but found they wore out quickly, then I tried EB slinkies and pyramid funk stainless and got something more fitting what I need. I also like la bellas and DRs. My headless bass has ghs strings... I guess it's the cheaper way to experiment with your bass. Next up one of my basses is going to be strung BEAD with old flats.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1471990832' post='3117567']

[/quote]
Yes, good sound and lasted well. Disappointed they weren't red though

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1471987876' post='3117534']
If you have a Music Man, do you use Ernie Ball strings? If you have a Fender, do you use Fender strings? If you have a Warwick, do you use Warwick strings? ETC and if so do you find that the strings better suit the bass when they are from the same manufacturer?
[/quote]

Hell no! The over used claim that only replacements from the manufacturer will work well and not reduce your expensive toy to ruin - is pants. Use your good judgement and make your own decision because (as pointed out in The Life of Brian) "YES! We are ALL individuals".

[i][b][size=2]Comments optimised for clarity in this consumer driven market.[/size][/b][/i]

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1472036816' post='3117853']
Well, only until they've worn out after I've bought the bass. Then they all receive a baptism of cheese graters (or "Roto 66s," as they're technically known)
[/quote]

I use 66 Nickels for my delicate pinkies :)

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1472050297' post='3118025']
I wonder how many come from the same factory (like baked beans do). That is genuine wonderment, by the way.
[/quote]

I used to have a summer job in a cannery.

We made beans for a couple of supermarkets as well as a couple of well known brands, though they all came from the same factory, the recipes and manufacturing instructions were actually all slightly different.

Maybe it's the same with strings?

Edited by Cato