Why become a member? ×

Flavours of the month

Twincam

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1471864409' post='3116419']
Fenders have been flavor of the month every month for 60 years... except a brief period in the 80s when slapping the sh*t out of your bass became popular....
[/quote]

Aherm - I thought that was the decade or so when those pesky keyboards players got all above themselves and replaced lots of guitarists and bass players....

Seriously though - Fender basses weren't at all popular in the UK in the 50s (fairly unobtainable), or even 60s - maybe for a part of the 70s, definitely not the 80s - only really during some parts of the last 10 yrs or so.

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1471868792' post='3116494']
It's generally a small number of people making a lot of posts that make something seem very popular, but really it's just a hot topic. This can give a different perception to reality.
[/quote]

That is very eloquently put and much better than I did - you mean hype?

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1471864955' post='3116428']
Limelight, Harley Benton, Sire, Maruszczyk, Fender Rumble V3 combos & at some point or another every boutique manufacturer of 1x12 cabs.

Though it does seem to be the same c10 people powering through each craze before keeping the forum in business via the classifieds!
[/quote]

Agreed!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1471865169' post='3116435']

That was BS. They asked for x orders in a month.

When I was subsequently in the market for a 5 string, if a Stingray with 19mm spacing were available I'd have got one (I went Lakland instead). But that particular month was not the right one for me to order anything. The whole thing was designed to fail, to give EB the opportunity to say "look, I tried, there were no takers". Which I don't get since they do not need to justify to anybody what they choose to produce or not. But the whole EBMM world is a... complex one, to say the least ;)
[/quote]

Well it's unfortunate you didn't manage to get one as the SR5 is a great bass - I used mine Saturday for the first time in ages and I was reminded how good it is.

They did indeed set a months order window limit and required 50 orders - presumably the usual deposit arrangement and 3+ months wait for the instrument - I guess to justify the cost of the tooling - however it was in response to hundreds of posts either clamouring for production of such an instrument or even suggesting the existing instrument shouldn't have the narrower spacing.

So unfortunately for those who wanted one it didn't happen. I viewed it as a company testing the market to see if there really was sufficient demand - there was a mass of vitriol flung by certain individuals IIRC but hey ho, it's the Internet.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1471880137' post='3116649']
Well it's unfortunate you didn't manage to get one as the SR5 is a great bass - I used mine Saturday for the first time in ages and I was reminded how good it is.

They did indeed set a months order window limit and required 50 orders - presumably the usual deposit arrangement and 3+ months wait for the instrument - I guess to justify the cost of the tooling - however it was in response to hundreds of posts either clamouring for production of such an instrument or even suggesting the existing instrument shouldn't have the narrower spacing.

So unfortunately for those who wanted one it didn't happen. I viewed it as a company testing the market to see if there really was sufficient demand - there was a mass of vitriol flung by certain individuals IIRC but hey ho, it's the Internet.
[/quote]

The thread may have contained a lot of posts, but I doubt there were hundreds of "individuals" all asking for such bass to be produced. And even if they were, it's not reasonable to expect they'd all have the cash ready for such investment. It was a weird thread... with some loud and/or ugly complaints against EBMM, but also ugly responses from EBMM's head. It was sold as marketing research but it sounded to me as an arrogant way of saying "we're right, and won't change our ways, there's no demand for 19mm spacing Stingrays".
I never felt they had to justify anything. It's their business. They can do whatever they choose. But the way that thread originated and how it was conducted... put me right off, to be honest.

19mm spacing 5-string basses sell quite alright (see Lakland, for example, among many others). Many of them use a MM style pickup at the bridge (most of them not quite at the sweetspot of the Stingray, unfortunately). A 19mm Stingray 5 would sell, even if not as much as the standard one. They choose to not produce it, that's fine... it's their business. But to say a company like EBMM is researching the future of such product by placing a very time-limited demand for orders in an internet bass forum... is completely BS. :)

I'm no longer after 5 stringers, I had the Lakland which was fantastic in everything except not sounding like a Stingray (could not find a 55-76 model which would) :lol: and sold it because I just prefer 4 string basses I don't seem to have a need for a 5-string. If I did, I'd get in touch with Adrian Maruszczyk who would build a superb bass to the exact specs I indicate, for less than an EBMM SR5. But I'm not after a 5-string, so he only made me two 4-string basses instead ;)

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1471861259' post='3116373']
Any topic in bass guitars with over 500 posts usually based on a Fender product or facsimile thereof, but if you can be bothered to read the whole thread, the ratio of basses bought to thread replies is less than 1 in 50.

Classic examples I can think of:-

1) 2016 - Fender Flea Jazz Bass (Mexican with a price supplement over standard)
[/quote]Yep, the Fenderistas are still wetting themselves over that one.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1471792554' post='3115903']
..... How good Sue Ryder basses are? ...
[/quote]

Sue Ryder basses were the first thing that came to mind. At one point, everyone seemed to either have one or be trying to get their hands on one

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1471880338' post='3116652']
Music stands
[/quote]

I thought that one was a 'not flavour of the month'! Definitely not considered rock and roll or in the least cool by some (if I remember the gist of the thread accurately)!! The thread definitely was flavour of the month though.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1471889450' post='3116760']

And to think I nearly bought one.....
[/quote]

I think there will be some bargain priced ones soon if you still want one, failing that a can of pink paint and a house brick taken to a second hand Mex Jazz with a pair of pots and twenty minutes with a soldering iron should yield similar results :D

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1471885204' post='3116715']
Sue Ryder basses were the first thing that came to mind. At one point, everyone seemed to either have one or be trying to get their hands on one
[/quote]

Just because they were very cheap and, for those who like to mess about tinkering, they represented a cheap decent starting point. Nothing else, really.

At one point I owned three :lol:
One I kept stock, with a new pickup. It was quite alright and used it in a few gigs as I get sometimes a kick out of playing a ridiculously cheap bass. It upsets snobs ;)
Another I completely took apart, stripped, and I was going to do terrible things to it... but I got bored and sold the whole thing.
The last one I turned into fretless and installed a decent pickup on it. I still have and use that one.