Why become a member? ×

Flavours of the month

Twincam

Since I've been a member of this site I've noticed a few "flavours of the month" or things all the rage for shorter periods of time maybe. Some come and go and some stay relatively popular.

My list will be relatively small. I'm interested to see others list past flavours of the month though. Remember it doesn't have to be things that have vanished, just not as talked about or as valued or as in demand.

Remember the furore about Class D amps and how good they were and how well they compared to Tube Amps? How good Sue Ryder basses are? The list is pretty much endless. I think it comes down to how easily impressed we can be and how we feel the need to tell others about how those items surpassed our expectations when it happens.

Personally I'm happy to listen to the opinions of others - sometimes I learn something positive sometimes I learn that I don't agree with others...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1471792554' post='3115903']
Remember the furore about Class D amps and how good they were and how well they compared to Tube Amps? [size=5][b]How good Sue Ryder basses are[/b]?[/size] The list is pretty much endless. I think it comes down to how easily impressed we can be and how we feel the need to tell others about how those items surpassed our expectations when it happens.

Personally I'm happy to listen to the opinions of others - sometimes I learn something positive sometimes I learn that I don't agree with others...
[/quote]

Sue Ryder... how good they were *for the price*. Nobody was claiming that a £100 bass was a big contender. I still have one, turned fretless, with a pickup change. I preferred it to a CIJ Fender Precision 70s reissue fretless I used to own ;)

Any topic in bass guitars with over 500 posts usually based on a Fender product or facsimile thereof, but if you can be bothered to read the whole thread, the ratio of basses bought to thread replies is less than 1 in 50.

Classic examples I can think of:-

1) 2016 - Fender Flea Jazz Bass (Mexican with a price supplement over standard)
2) 2015 - Sire (not Squier) Jazz bass (low cost active bass endorsed by Marcus Miller)
3) Limelight Fender - not sure when this started but possibly 2014.
4) Talkbass - 19 mm string spacing MM SR5 - however that one was about 800 posts and 5 orders placed so the proposal was canned. Goes to show how much hot air can float around a forum!!

I'm with everyone else on class D - fabulous creation - proper bass guitar sound without the hernia created carrying totally unnecessary weight and technology outdated 40 + years ago.

Edited by drTStingray

Limelight, Harley Benton, Sire, Maruszczyk, Fender Rumble V3 combos & at some point or another every boutique manufacturer of 1x12 cabs.

Though it does seem to be the same c10 people powering through each craze before keeping the forum in business via the classifieds!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1471861259' post='3116373']
4) Talkbass - 19 mm string spacing MM SR5 - however that one was about 800 posts and 5 orders placed so the proposal was canned. Goes to show how much hot air can float around a forum!!
[/quote]

That was BS. They asked for x orders in a month.

When I was subsequently in the market for a 5 string, if a Stingray with 19mm spacing were available I'd have got one (I went Lakland instead). But that particular month was not the right one for me to order anything. The whole thing was designed to fail, to give EB the opportunity to say "look, I tried, there were no takers". Which I don't get since they do not need to justify to anybody what they choose to produce or not. But the whole EBMM world is a... complex one, to say the least ;)

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1471864955' post='3116428']
Limelight, Harley Benton, Sire, Maruszczyk, Fender Rumble V3 combos & at some point or another every boutique manufacturer of 1x12 cabs.

Though it does seem to be the same c10 people powering through each craze before keeping the forum in business via the classifieds!
[/quote]

Are you enjoying your TKS S112s?

;)