Why become a member? ×

Do I need a Stingray / Sterling?

darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1471910987' post='3116966']
I've just stumbled across this clip of Tim Muddiman (Gary Numan / PWEI - here with Gary Numan) playing what looks like an EBMM Sterling - would you say that this tone is typical of what the Sterling sounds like?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5CwpDLFGHk"]https://www.youtube....h?v=w5CwpDLFGHk[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah sounds about right to me..

TBF the Stingray/Sterling difference in tone is a bass player/geek thing really, i very much doubt if anyone else in a band let alone an audience would notice the difference.

The tone on that vid is to my ears that classic MM slap sound. My Sabre or Stingray5 would have sounded pretty much the same slapped as well.

FYI - I have 2 band and 3 band Rays, 4s and 5s, and one Sterling, a 5HS. There is a small difference, in tone...small. It s mainly ergonomics.

Ray - 2eq vs 3eq - well, at the time when I first got into Musicman basses (I was around 14/15, so 20 years ago!) barely anyone wanted a 2eq Ray when buying new. They came out roughly 1987, so I think it must have been a case of '3 band is now the standard' and the fascination with 2 band eqs had not really kicked in.

Then, as with a lot of 'original designs', it seemed the players wanted to go back to 2eq. The Classic Stingray is a perfect way to get a 'high end' Musicman with classic appointments, yet modern build techniques.

I like both! I don't see a problem with either of them.

I use Spector Euro5's as my main isntruments and had SR5's for a while.
I personally found that the Euro5's can do everything that the SR5's do (for me, anyway) and ther Euro5's offer more tonal variety, more suitable ergonomics and neck and the B string is more to my liking. (35")

Being used to Spector ergonomics I found the neck and the body size on the SR5 a bit less comfortable. Also I like the tighter stringspacing on the Spector more.

Still, Stingrays have a signature sound and if that's what one wants then the only thing to do is to get a Stingray.

I think getting your question answered is pretty easy as used SR5's are quite easy to get and also not a hassle to pass on without much loss if it turns out not to be your liking.

[quote name='Paulhauser' timestamp='1471958340' post='3117248']
I use Spector Euro5's as my main isntruments and had SR5's for a while.
I personally found that the Euro5's can do everything that the SR5's do (for me, anyway) and ther Euro5's offer more tonal variety, more suitable ergonomics and neck and the B string is more to my liking. (35")

Being used to Spector ergonomics I found the neck and the body size on the SR5 a bit less comfortable. Also I like the tighter stringspacing on the Spector more.

Still, Stingrays have a signature sound and if that's what one wants then the only thing to do is to get a Stingray.

I think getting your question answered is pretty easy as used SR5's are quite easy to get and also not a hassle to pass on without much loss if it turns out not to be your liking.
[/quote]

I'm with you on the Spector Euro 5LX - that's staying as my one and only 5 string. I've tried other 5 stringers and never found another that comes close, in fact I gave up playing bass for a while after buying a Yamaha 5 string - it was that bad! The purpose of the Music Man (and I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be a USA Sterling) will be to add more variety and not replace my Euro or SS1.

Edited by darkandrew

My Warwick and Spector now have a new friend to play with as I've just picked up my new (well, new to me) USA Sterling - black body, black pick-guard with maple fret-board (see previous owner's pic below). Initial impressions are good - I really like the tone (all 3 positions are very useful and very different from my existing basses) and I can't believe how narrow the neck is at the nut.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1472068966' post='3118258']
My Warwick and Spector now have a new friend to play with as I've just picked up my new (well, new to me) USA Sterling - black body, black pick-guard with maple fret-board (see previous owner's pic below). Initial impressions are good - I really like the tone (all 3 positions are very useful and very different from my existing basses) and I can't believe how narrow the neck is at the nut.
[/quote]

Good choice - hope you enjoy it. The parallel sound is like a Stingray on steroids.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1472068966' post='3118258']
[/quote]

Bootiful, is that the one that was on Ebay a week or so back ?

Never tried a Sterling in the flesh, just heard a few Sterling vs Stingray videos on YouTube, where each and every time the Stingray sounds miles better. I prefer a smaller body and neck so the Sterling appeals on paper, but it's sound just doesn't do it for me. SLO Specials are rare but you can always put in a custom order for a new one.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1472506772' post='3121739']
Never tried a Sterling in the flesh, just heard a few Sterling vs Stingray videos on YouTube, where each and every time the Stingray sounds miles better. I prefer a smaller body and neck so the Sterling appeals on paper, but it's sound just doesn't do it for me. SLO Specials are rare but you can always put in a custom order for a new one.
[/quote]

When I picked up the Sterling, I had a little play with the previous owner's Stingray and comparing the two, side by side with the same amp, etc I found I prefered the sound of the Sterling. Don't get me wrong, the Stingray sounded nice and I found its neck very playable but it was just a little too polite for me. I got the impression that I would really have to dig into the Stingray to get any sort of aggression out of it whereas with the Sterling it was much easier, and as I play with quite a light touch, this suited me better.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1472513949' post='3121793']
When I picked up the Sterling, I had a little play with the previous owner's Stingray and comparing the two, side by side with the same amp, etc I found I prefered the sound of the Sterling. Don't get me wrong, the Stingray sounded nice and I found its neck very playable but it was just a little too polite for me. I got the impression that I would really have to dig into the Stingray to get any sort of aggression out of it whereas with the Sterling it was much easier, and as I play with quite a light touch, this suited me better.
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts.

I can't actually remember how many Stingrays I've had but I felt that I always had to try too hard to get the Stingray growl but with the Sterling, even with flats, it's right there whenever I need it

I've been a Stingray user since 1977, when I bust my little piggy bank to buy the first one in Sheffield. Since then I've had literally dozens of other basses from luthier built boutique stuff like Gooidfellow, Status etc, as well as many Fenders, and a US build EB Sterling, but you know, I keep comig back to the Stingray. Simple, punchy, but still versatile. the two band EQ is fine for virtually all applications. I use the Sterling for a few songs if I need a more honky middly sound because of the 3 band eq, but the Sting is still the one.

Nice, I wanted a Sterling once and ended up with a Stingray 4 as it was a great price. It was probably one of the nicest, easy to play basses I've owned. I only sold it as it presented a chance to sell for a profit but I'd love a 5 string at some point.

[quote name='Thunderpaws' timestamp='1473002759' post='3125925']
Oh to have a well paid job!! This would do nicely!

http://m.guitarguitar.co.uk/Product/160608298360007
[/quote]

Yeah, they are quite special! This would, as the name suggests, be a much more mellow tone than a normal Ray, but I've heard a few demos and I love it.

Played with a stingray at a wedding last night and it reminded me of what an idiot I was to sell my old one. Sounded great with all the authority and punch you could ever wish for. Drummer was loving the growly funky Stingrayness of it. Yes you need one.