Why become a member? ×

Bruce Foxton's Basses,Strings & Picks

luckman67

From The Jam are playing where I work tonight, so throughout the day they have been setting up for tonight's show. I have always liked Foxton as a bassist & liked the tone he got with the Rickenbacker. His guitar tech allowed me to take a couple of pictures of his gear, that he is using tonight. His main bass is his Fender Precision Japanese '57, which was left in the guitar holder so headstock shots only.
[attachment=225901:WP_20160820_14_46_51_Pro.jpg]
[attachment=225902:WP_20160820_16_12_31_Pro.jpg]
His backup Precision was a Mex Fender Classic '50's with the gold scratchplate, a very nice looking bass as well.
[attachment=225903:WP_20160820_16_16_26_Pro.jpg]
The third was a Washburn semi acoustic which I only caught the headstock.Strings and picks were both from Rotosound,it looked like the picks were .96mm. I will have to find this picture on my phone, there was a pedal board but not sure if it was his or the guitarists. Hope the show goes well.

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1471719728' post='3115340']
Pics aren't showing on here for me but interesting about the P basses.
[/quote]

Yes, especially as in last months Bass Guitar Mag Bruce was interviewed and stated he had small hands - so strange he chose the Precisions with the widest necks known to man.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1471727034' post='3115441']
Yes, especially as in last months Bass Guitar Mag Bruce was interviewed and stated he had small hands - so strange he chose the Precisions with the widest necks known to man.
[/quote]
He's full of punch with his action, guess he's not into a low setup either.
He works it for sure :)

The first band I went to see were From the Jam. Very nice to have an insight into the gear of the man that made me want to play bass in the first place, although I am a tad bit surprised to not see him using the Rick as exclusively as he did backaday. Still, when you're Bruce Foxton you could probably play a cricket bat with elastic bands on it and still make it sound good.

[quote name='Harryburke14' timestamp='1471816760' post='3116166']
...although I am a tad bit surprised to not see him using the Rick as exclusively as he did backaday.
[/quote]

Much of what folks consider to be Ric tone is actually played/recorded on a P bass! ;) He played P basses back in 'The Jam' days, way more than he ever did Rics.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1471727034' post='3115441']

[/quote]

I have small hands and I prefer a large neck normally...well, chunky P bass....but then normally I can get on with any neck, guitar or bass, after a bit of time.

When I started, I told my tutor and he basically said all I needed to do was learn to stretch my hands a little, and it worked!

I don't know whether it helps for my guitar playing...can't tell!

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1471716470' post='3115308']
The third was a Washburn semi acoustic which I only caught the headstock.Strings and picks were both from Rotosound,it looked like the picks were .96mm. I will have to find this picture on my phone, there was a pedal board but not sure if it was his or the guitarists. Hope the show goes well.
[/quote]

That third semi acoustic bass is a Waterstone Brighton '64 bass, not sure that are made any more, but they sure do look good.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1471874595' post='3116579']
Agreed, which he tends to use on 'Start'.
[/quote]
Yes I read the headstock wrong :unsure: & yes he had the Ashdown rig. Hopefully these will now load. The pedal board I'm not sure if it was Bruce's or the guitarists.

Edited by luckman67

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1471890259' post='3116769']
The pedal board in question. Can anyone turn these pictures the right way please.[attachment=226127:WP_20160820_14_52_41_Pro.jpg]
[/quote]

Pretty sure that would be the guitarists. From what I`ve read the only pedal Bruce seems to use is an octaver, for In The City.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1471890259' post='3116769']
The pedal board in question. Can anyone turn these pictures the right way please.[attachment=226127:WP_20160820_14_52_41_Pro.jpg]
[/quote]

Looks like the guitarists pedal board to me

[quote name='Raggy' timestamp='1471878932' post='3116626']

One of the big Ashdown tube heads (BTA) and Ashdown 4x10 and 2x15 cabs i believe.
[/quote]

Pah!

I used to respect Foxton but he'll never get his trademark cutting tone on a woolly Ashdown, and what is he thinking mixing speaker sizes?
Perhaps he should sign up here and be educated a bit.
Come on Foxton, must try harder!

:D

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1471981778' post='3117485']
Pah!

I used to respect Foxton but he'll never get his trademark cutting tone on a woolly Ashdown, and what is he thinking mixing speaker sizes?

[/quote] Don't start ;) I suppose that's why it's also used by JJB great amps & I've owned most makes .

[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1472023491' post='3117677']
Don't start ;) I suppose that's why it's also used by JJB great amps & I've owned most makes .
[/quote]

I totally agree, I'm an Ashdown fan, like any manufacturer they have good models and not so good models, but I've yet to own anything Ashdown that I haven't loved yet :)

It was just sarcasm about the 'Basschat Bible' :D

Edited by Maude

[quote name='Maude' timestamp='1471981778' post='3117485']
Pah!

[/quote]

:D :D