Why become a member? ×

Simple Minds and Marcus Miller

kusee pee

I've been hunting for the answer but to no avail so reaching out to the BC masses. Marcus Miller was one of the bassists playing on Good News From The Next World but I can't find which track(s) are him. Bit of a niche question but I've got confidence that someone here will know. There's certainly some nice playing on the album.

The bass on Simple Minds records is almost always excellent. I like the album in question but can only remember a couple of tracks. Nothing sticks out from memory as sounding like Marcus though. I'd be equally interested to hear the answer to this one.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1471651846' post='3114850']
I've just spent about an hour, scouring the internet but I can't find anything other than album credits as a whole - not individual tracks.
[/quote]

Thanks for trying! The bass is good throughout the album but, as bubinga5 says, it would be tough to guess which track(s) are MM. Maybe we can ask him.

Never knew MM played with them; I'll have to re-listen

Slightly off-topic, but the Herbie Hancock keyboard break on "Hunter and the hunted" (New Gold Dream) blows me away every time, it's so beautifully understated

[quote name='Shaggy' timestamp='1471686262' post='3114994']
Never knew MM played with them; I'll have to re-listen

Slightly off-topic, but the Herbie Hancock keyboard break on "Hunter and the hunted" (New Gold Dream) blows me away every time, it's so beautifully understated
[/quote]

I agree. It's never the same when they play it live but it's cracking on the album. Charlie's work is also great on that track.

I can't remember which track but there's one, pretty up-tempo, with something like double-thumbing (maybe Seven Deadly Sins or something similar) which I believe is Vinne Colaiuta on drums and Marcus on bass. I remember it being very kick-ass. there was also a slower track with some quite subtle slapping that sounded very much like MM.