Why become a member? ×

Your input wanted - upgrading my bass!

Funky Dunky

If you did one per year...

In 4 years you could have a lovely set of Hipshot Ultralite tuners on it. If you've currently got big plate heavy tuners then swapping to them can save a lot of weight (On a 5 string it actually saves half a pound - all from the headstock - the balance improvement is massive).

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1473346361' post='3129386']
If you did one per year...

In 4 years you could have a lovely set of Hipshot Ultralite tuners on it.
[/quote]

Yeah, one per year is right at that kind of money! Would be nice to trim some weight off this bass actually, but that's a tad steep.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1473346312' post='3129385']
For £35 you could also get a used Fender or Seymour Duncan and shift it on for the same price if you decide it's not for you. Place a wanted ad and you're bound to get one quick!
[/quote]

With Ki0gon's loom, I could just yank the pickup out and pop another in anytime I liked with no wiring, too - is that right?

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1473349072' post='3129406']
Yeah, one per year is right at that kind of money! Would be nice to trim some weight off this bass actually, but that's a tad steep.
[/quote]

Keep an eye on ebay - they go surprisingly cheap used. Often 1 or 2 at a time for some bizarre reason.

I've put them on all my basses that had old fashioned heavy gears on them.

It's the pickup that's the problem. I can't decide. One demo sounds good, and the next sounds not so good. Hard to get a true read from YouTube. I like the tone from the Fender Nate Mendel Precision, Scott Devine is rocking one with flatwounds and it sounds heavenly, but it's hard to find a decent demo of the SD SPB-3 online. Also, Lollar is in the mix as a possible option. Trying to source a better quality pickup second hand, eBay isn't cutting it and I don't know where else to look other than here on Basschat. Think I will bide my time and wait until the right pickup comes up second hand.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have recently been given a Jim Deacon as a gift. It's in need of sorting but after I found out they were an "affordable" make just left it in a corner of the sitting room.

MR Funky, did you find out if the JD uses standard sizes?

My one is black with red tort guard. The strings are too big for the nut and so sit on it rather than in it..... that's how it came!

[quote name='Oldboy' timestamp='1479251970' post='3175167']
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have recently been given a Jim Deacon as a gift. It's in need of sorting but after I found out they were an "affordable" make just left it in a corner of the sitting room.

MR Funky, did you find out if the JD uses standard sizes?

My one is black with red tort guard. The strings are too big for the nut and so sit on it rather than in it..... that's how it came!
[/quote]

Hi Oldboy, I did not. I hit cashflow problems - dire ones - and it's been shelved for a few weeks, sadly.