Why become a member? ×

How many times have you broken a string?

PaulWarning

I got through a few when I first started around 25 years ago. I used to have a very aggressive pick style. About a year in I switched to a much gentler finger style and I've only had one string break on me since then, about 10 years ago an E string broke at the nut whilst the bass was propped up against the wall, not being played.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1471551916' post='3113991']
I'm surprised how many E strings get broken, I would have thought that one would be the least likely to break, given how thick it is
[/quote]

...but it's also first in line to encounter a particularly careless heavy downward blow

Once - when I was tunng the E string on a short scale bass I'd been lent when I was starting out 25 years ago - didn't quite know what I was doing, the snap as it went was pretty impressive.
Actually playing... never snapped a string, ever and don't intend to :)

I broke 3 bottom Es and an A.

I know.

Turns out that the 2 basses in question had 'bridge issues' that were responsible. One was my first bass at the tender age of 17, the other was only a couple of years ago and I should really have checked... :(