Why become a member? ×

What are your party pieces?

Barking Spiders

Taxman/Start springs to mind but my "trying out a bass in a shop" tune is The Theme to Star Trek Deep Space Nine which always just falls nicely under my fingers. Only ever had someone recognise it the once. About a month ago the two guys serving in Wunjos while I was trying out a rather nice Sandberg stopped, stared at me and said, "Hey, is that Deep Space Nine? Used to love watching that..."

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1471345381' post='3112274']
Waterfront by Simple Minds.
[/quote]

Derek Forbes also did a similar one note bassline for P Machinery by Propaganda which he later referred to as one of his favourite basslines in an interview for some dodgy website:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/94210-basschat-derek-forbes-interview/

Edited by darkandrew

Depends who it is, normally it's a toss up between The Chicken, Cisst Strut, Stevie Wonders greatest hits(I know a LOT of Stevie) Ain't No Mountain High Enough, A number of Beatles tracks.

For the more discerning friend, some Snarky Puppy stuff never fails to impress, same for Jamiroquai, or I'll just make something up there and then!

My party piece is playing the bass with my tongue.

I don't actually get much in the way of bass sounds, just some buzzing & the occasional shock. But it does put a nice shine on some parts of my bass.

Oddly, not many folk are impressed by it.

So I'll play Fur Elise & that Bach song that everyone knows (BVW1007).

Given up on Good Times as its invariably met with "Oh, that sounds like Amother One Bites the Dust, can you play that?" Have reverted to I Want Your Love as a funky alternative, Wherever I Lay My Hat for the fretless ((or fretted with chorus) thing, finally for bowel-liquidisation purposes (tone/volume adjusted accordingly) Public Image by the great Mr Wobble.