Why become a member? ×

more round, low and fat sound for squier deluxe jazz bass iv active

mrbacco

Hi All. I have a question since I'm not very experienced here.
I started playing last year a squier deluxe jazz bass iv active [black model] which is OK for me as I am not a skilled nor experienced player, in my learning stage let's say. The bass is in its factory standard
I am trying to get the following out of my bass:
[A] more bass sound
[B] fatter and more round
[C] less treble and mid range

Is there any suggestion from you about which pick ups I should use instead of the originals or if there any suggestion on another bass for example? Should I go for a P bass instead?
Thanks for any suggestion
AB

Before changing the pickups or looking for a new bass, I would suggest trying some flatwound strings, which should get you a deeper, rounder sound without changing anything else. Fender flatwounds are meant to be good value, but something like LaBella are deeper and mellower sounding. And if you're not already doing this, make sure the blend control on the bass is turned towards the neck pickup. You may find that gets you closer to the sound you're looking for.

How are you currently setting the 3-band EQ and the balance between neck and bridge pickups? Are you using the slap switch at all? What are you playing through? I've got the same bass and it's certainly not short of bass and I can cut the treble and mids too. The slap switch brings in a ton of bass and also boosts the high treble (and it might also cut some mids). The neck pickup offers a 'rounder' tone than the bridge - you might get closer to a P bass sound (if that's what you like) by favouring the neck pickup with the blend (say half way from centre detente to neck) and boosting the mids a little but only a P bass will give you the authentic P bass sound! You might also consider trying a multi-effects pedal with amp simulation modes and overdrives to fatten up the sound - the Zoom B3 is easy to use and good value.

Hey guys thanks. I know there are few things I may do wrong, thanks for helping here... :-)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1471257904' post='3111562']
Before changing the pickups or looking for a new bass, I would suggest trying some flatwound strings, which should get you a deeper, rounder sound without changing anything else. Fender flatwounds are meant to be good value, but something like LaBella are deeper and mellower sounding. And if you're not already doing this, make sure the blend control on the bass is turned towards the neck pickup. You may find that gets you closer to the sound you're looking for.
[/quote]
That's something I'll try then, I haven't thought about this, I left the standard strings that are coming with the bass [which is also a refurbished one], so I'll see and let you know

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1471258064' post='3111565']
How are you amplifying the bass?
[/quote]
OK, don't laugh loud here ... I am using a 15-watt Fender Frontman 15G amp the one I used for my guitar with treble at 0

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1471258111' post='3111566']
How are you currently setting the 3-band EQ and the balance between neck and bridge pickups? Are you using the slap switch at all? What are you playing through? I've got the same bass and it's certainly not short of bass and I can cut the treble and mids too. The slap switch brings in a ton of bass and also boosts the high treble (and it might also cut some mids). The neck pickup offers a 'rounder' tone than the bridge - you might get closer to a P bass sound (if that's what you like) by favouring the neck pickup with the blend (say half way from centre detente to neck) and boosting the mids a little but only a P bass will give you the authentic P bass sound! You might also consider trying a multi-effects pedal with amp simulation modes and overdrives to fatten up the sound - the Zoom B3 is easy to use and good value.
[/quote]
Yes I use the slap switch and it gives more "meat" I would say. I am using two settings basically: [1] turning off the bridge pickup and turning on the neck, treble off totally and master volume 100%: this give more bass sound and round; [2] turning off the neck pickup and turning on the bridge, treble off totally and master volume 100%: this gives more sharp sound and precise .

I doubt you'll hear the full potential of the bass playing through a 15watt guitar amp, particularly when it comes to the 'low and fat sound' you desire. Have you tried playing through a bass amp at all (maybe a friend's or one at a shop)? You mention cutting treble but haven't said anything about using the bass and mid controls to boost (or cut) those frequencies.

[quote name='mrbacco' timestamp='1471263000' post='3111610']
OK, don't laugh loud here ... I am using a 15-watt Fender Frontman 15G amp the one I used for my guitar with treble at 0
[/quote]

Not laughing.

I went and bought a "bargain" bass from a girl. She'd been in a band and had used a Fender Frontman amp. The amp came with the deal. It's fine for a guitar. It's a guitar amp. It sounds absolute cr@* with a bass. Seriously, don't worry in the slightest about pups, strings, or ANYTHING until you've got the reddies together and replaced that amp.

To give yourself a better feel about your bass, as Howie says - try another amp. Just to give you the feel that your bass IS what you want and keep the motivation. Even a visit to a fellow BCer, could be an option.

Good luck and keep with it.

Edited by Grangur

Yes, definitely focus on a new amp first. And don't feel shy about taking your bass along to a music shop and trying it through the amps you reckon might be in your price range - even when you have no intention of buying that day/week/month. There's nothing wrong with that. You're researching what you eventually will buy and a good music shop will know that if they're helpful then they're more likely to get your cash whenever you ARE ready to buy. And while you're there, treat yourself and try a couple of more expensive ones... Also part of the research/learning experience.

Yes... invest in a new amp.

A meh bass through a good amp can still sound pretty decent, but the best bass in the world will sound uninspiring through a bad amp.

I had the 5 string version and although I wasn't crazy about the preamp in particular, it sounded quite alright. It certainly did not lack bass/body... I suspect you'll change your mind when you play through a decent amplifier.

GHS flats would be very good strings to put on any bass, but before you question any part of your sound or upgrade or replace anything you need to get a much better amp.

You can't accurately judge anything through an amp like that.

[quote name='mrbacco' timestamp='1471263000' post='3111610']
[/quote]

I certainly started out that way 30 years ago - albeit with a 15w bass practice amp that picked up the local cab firm through the single coil pickups of my Arbiter bass!

Great advice above - meanwhile while you save for a new amp, move your frontman amp into a corner to help accentuate the bass frequencies, and play fingerstyle near the neck.

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1471299217' post='3112022']

I certainly started out that way 30 years ago - albeit with a 15w bass practice amp that picked up the local cab firm through the single coil pickups of my Arbiter bass!

Great advice above - meanwhile while you save for a new amp, move your frontman amp into a corner to help accentuate the bass frequencies, and play fingerstyle near the neck.
[/quote]

Back in the 70s, as a youth on a paper-boy wage, my first amp was a reel to reel tape deck in 'record' mode. The speaker didn't even make it through the first note without distorting.

So, guitar amp? luxury!

Thanks to all of you. I am playing now in each part and corner of the house [gf is not happy cause it's interfering a lot with her fiddle LOL] and then I will certainly change the amp [before we need to move to another bigger place] and that would take me to a better level of sound, after that [and after long practice time] I maybe tell the difference with new strings and pickups ... and maybe I'll enlarge the family after that...
Thanks again!

[quote name='mrbacco' timestamp='1471341914' post='3112235']
Thanks to all of you. I am playing now in each part and corner of the house [[b]gf is not happy cause it's interfering a lot with her fiddle[/b] LOL] and then I will certainly change the amp [before we need to move to another bigger place] and that would take me to a better level of sound, after that [and after long practice time] I maybe tell the difference with new strings and pickups ... and maybe I'll enlarge the family after that...
Thanks again!
[/quote]

Just tell her casually that you're considering switching to accordion, or trombone... I suspect she will suddenly become more encouraging and helpful about your bass playing ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1471345521' post='3112278']
Just tell her casually that you're considering switching to accordion, or trombone... I suspect she will suddenly become more encouraging and helpful about your bass playing ;)
[/quote]

LOL ... will do! :-)

Hi mrbacco,

As others have said - change that amp first & foremost.
Get the best you can afford - save up for a while. Trawl through the markeplace on here
Where are you based? Maybe some friendly BC'er will let you try your bass through a decent amp?
It's worth asking anyway.....

If you were / are anywhere near South Wales, you'd be welcome to come & try out an amp (or 2)
Or is there a bass bash anywhere near you soon? Take your bass along & try out someone's amp (ask first, of course lol)

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1471532584' post='3113760']
Great news. That Squier Jazz should be getting a bit more love from you now! And you'll have to start saving for a bass amp :)
[/quote]
Yes sir... I think you are right... It is a brilliant piece of instrument ...