Why become a member? ×

Cheap bass strings

Stefanogregori

I love the zing of new strings but my fingers and body chemistry usually kill the tone I like after just 1 gig. I usually use d'addario exl165s and while they are relatively cheap, they aren't cheap enough to discard after one gig. I saw a set of generic nickel strings on Amazon for £4.05. I'm sure they aren't fantastic but as long as they last a gig I'd be happy to chuck them at that price. Does anyone have any experience with cheap, generic strings?

Edited by Stefanogregori

Ever tried soaking your strings in denatured alcohol to bring them back to life? If you are seriously wanting to change them after only one gig, that would be far more cost effective if it would work out for you.

Cheapest I've tried are the £9 Legacy ones from Strings Direct, which may well be the same as the ones you found but rebranded. They were ok but nowhere near as good as D'Addarios.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1471252009' post='3111477']
Buy coated strings. Bigger investment but will last much longer. Please don't buy cheap strings - it's like buying a BMW and putting on secondhand tyres.
[/quote]

Can you recommend any that have that zingy, bright tone? I've read some mixed reviews about elixirs and their brightness.

Well, that sounds like Steels. In which case, DR Hi Beams or Fatbeams sound right up your street.

If steels are too rough and you want Nickels, DR Lo Riders, SIT Rock Brights or Dunlop Super Brights (lower tension) are worth trying.

If your sweat is really bad then coated strings are the way to go. Elixirs, D'Addario EXP and Cleartone are all good coated strings. The EXPs I would say are a little brighter than the Elixirs but all coated strings are a little duller than Nickel plated strings (fresh out the pack).

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='D'AddarioUK' timestamp='1471350141' post='3112342']
+1 for coated strings.

The equivalent EXP set to EXL165 is EXP165.

You can also buy EXL165 in a twin pack (EXL165TP) which will be cheaper than buying single sets.
[/quote]

Hi, can you please tell me if it is ok to use string cleaning products on the coated exp strings?

Thanks

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1472808313' post='3124378']
I was told by the guy at Stringsdirect that their 'Legacy' brand are re-packaged Rotosounds at half the price. I tend to buy those these days but I guess it depends upon whether or not you like Rotosounds :)
[/quote]

I was in 7th heaven reading that Paul, til I saw they only do nickels. Bah!

[quote name='Stefanogregori' timestamp='1471216724' post='3111374']
I love the zing of new strings but my fingers and body chemistry usually kill the tone I like after just 1 gig. I usually use d'addario exl165s and while they are relatively cheap, they aren't cheap enough to discard after one gig. I saw a set of generic nickel strings on Amazon for £4.05. I'm sure they aren't fantastic but as long as they last a gig I'd be happy to chuck them at that price. Does anyone have any experience with cheap, generic strings?
[/quote]

I used Coban stainless steel strings, for about a fiver on eBay or amazon. I'm sure they do nickel too. They are not bad for the price. They are not as zingy as others, even from new, but they still sound like new strings, they just don't have as much of the extra brittle zing that stainless steel strings often have during the first few hours of use, which was a good thing. They'd last more than a gig, and they felt good. I don't use them as I prefer the sound/feel of other strings and I don't mind it when they start deadening a bit...
I'd try the Coban ones... they felt fine. If you like them, they'll definitely last the gig and they're dead cheap.

[quote name='Stefanogregori' timestamp='1472807842' post='3124375']
Hi, can you please tell me if it is ok to use string cleaning products on the coated exp strings?

Thanks
[/quote]

Sorry for the delayed reply, it shouldn't be necessary to use string cleaning products on EXP. Did you have anything in mind specifically?
For all stringed instruments, the best thing to do is wash your hands before playing and wipe any excess sweat or muck off the strings with a cloth after playing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1472808313' post='3124378']
I was told by the guy at Stringsdirect that their 'Legacy' brand are re-packaged Rotosounds at half the price. I tend to buy those these days but I guess it depends upon whether or not you like Rotosounds :)
[/quote]thanks for the info. I use the cheap rotos because i actually prefer them to the expensive alternatives like DRs!
This is great news if the guy from Stringsdirect is correct. Ive just ordered a set so will know for sure soon enough.