Why become a member? ×

Vantage VS serial. 80s Matsumoku?

aguacollas

I've been looking for a single P bass for a while. Not that I need any more basses -four decent ones already-

There is a cheap one, around 200£, for sale in Spain. I am tempted, but I'd like to know if this is one of the underrated Matsumoku ones. So I ask for your advice.

It is a Vantage VS 696 B
Serial number 3090xxx

Is this a japanese 80s good bass?
Or it's not worth it?

I just want an old classic P bass.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I had one of those!
And yes, they are legit Matsu's.

[URL=http://s208.photobucket.com/user/Sasquatch_00/media/DSC03195.jpg.html][IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Sasquatch_00/DSC03195.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Really nice bass, definitely worth it :)

Edited by Archy

[quote name='Archy' timestamp='1471341121' post='3112218']
I had one of those!
And yes, they are legit Matsu's.

[URL=http://s208.photobucket.com/user/Sasquatch_00/media/DSC03195.jpg.html][IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Sasquatch_00/DSC03195.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Really nice bass, definitely worth it :)
[/quote]

Nice! That's the one. It's on its way to my home. I'll have it next week, probably.

Two questions, if you please,
-have you experienced neck dive on this bass?
-and, is the sound similar to a Fender P, or very different?

just to know what can I expect.

Cheers

- No neckdive as far as I can recall (I sold it about 4 years ago), I did experience it on my (now also sold) VS600B, which was medium scale and lighter in weight.
This one was heavier, and I used a wide strap with it :)
- It's like a precision on steroids, the output of the PU is very high, and the sound was very clear and had lots of attack, probably partially due to the brass nut and bridge

I especially liked the neck on this bass, same as for other Vantages (I've had a VS600B, VS696B, VS795B and still own a VP710B), really comfortable to play

I find that the 710b's which is almost the same bass have quite a neckdive.
The DiMarzio clones are IMO more "mid-rangy" and don't sound anything like a P.
But my 710's have double P's...

But i think Vantages are beautiful instruments. Well crafted and sound awesome.
That's why i have six of them!

My first decent bass was one of these vantages! I bought it from a lad at school for £20 and used it for a couple of years but replaced it with an Ibanez musician.
I wish I still had both of those basses! I found the vantage to have a nice warm P like tone (it had a dimarzio) and used it to record with at college (regrettably I don't have them) and I loved the tone.

Cheers guys.

My new Vantage bass is here. Quite beaten up, I guess it's been rockin' all these years. But still good looking.
This is my first passive P bass after 15 years playing.

First impression is really good for a 200€ bass. I really like the neck shape, and is really comfortable to play, at least seated.
The tone is just what I expected. I'm loving it so far.

Only thing is the upper horn is so short the bass tends to stay horizontal when playing standing up, and the first frets are a little far away. But I am used to that thanks to my Warwicks.