Why become a member? ×

First Double Bass

thebigyin

Can't seem to put a post up on EUB and Double Basses for sale for some reason won't except post....my virtually brand new Gear4music 3/4 Double Bass is up for Sale £450 collection from Grimsby. Solid carved Spruce top and Maple back and sides if anyone knows anyone who wants a cheap bargain Bass

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1473884285' post='3133919']
Bob! Is it so bad that £200 or so can't fix it? Have you taken it to a luthier? And to be honest, if you want to sell it on this forum, people will want to know what the issues are. Please don't give up!
[/quote]
Hi Sarah thanks for your reply i have no transport and the nearest Luthier is in Louth but very expensive....i will see what happens over the next few weeks....personally i think the wanting a Double Bass overshadowed the fact that there's a lot of hard work involved in learning it, i don't read music and don't fancy taking lessons ect, i should of done a bit of research really. But thanks again cheers Bob

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1473923859' post='3134088']

there's a lot of hard work involved in learning it, i don't read music and don't fancy taking lessons ect, i should of done a bit of research really. [/quote]

What exactly is it that you are having problems with? Your profile indicates that you play Blues, RnB, Soul, Motown and Classic Rock, and there are plenty of walking bass lines played in all that lot, so I presume that bass runs and chord sequences aren't the problem. Is it fingering the notes that's the issue? There's no shame in putting markers on the side of the neck to help with intonation. If you can identify where the issue lays, then maybe you can get more specific advice.

FWIW, I don't read music either, and I've never had a lesson in my life - lessons are not obligatory. If they were, then the first double bass ever invented would have just laid on a luthier's bench until it rotted away, unused. ;)

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1473939204' post='3134297']

What exactly is it that you are having problems with? Your profile indicates that you play Blues, RnB, Soul, Motown and Classic Rock, and there are plenty of walking bass lines played in all that lot, so I presume that bass runs and chord sequences aren't the problem. Is it fingering the notes that's the issue? There's no shame in putting markers on the side of the neck to help with intonation. If you can identify where the issue lays, then maybe you can get more specific advice.

FWIW, I don't read music either, and I've never had a lesson in my life - lessons are not obligatory. If they were, then the first double bass ever invented would have just laid on a luthier's bench until it rotted away, unused. ;)
[/quote]
Hi Invicta the purchasing of the Bass was just a mistake i think although I have wanted one for years....it arrived very badly set up and is almost impossible to play well but it's just not really my thing i had to try out of curiosity really i only know one person in my town who owns one and have no idea where he lives....should of given it a bit more thought really but there you go i think everyone must have purchased a instrument at some point and regretted it. If i can find someone who will take it off my hands then great....realistically i just can't see me ever progressing with it i don't drive and can't see anyone wanting to lug it about it's just not for me unfortunately. Someone would get a nice Bass just needs a set up cheers for your reply Bob