Why become a member? ×

First Double Bass

thebigyin

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471198203' post='3111197']
That will help you learn quickly then, I had annoying gigs getting in the way all the time!
[/quote]
Like i say Pete done nothing gig wise for over year and half haven't missed it.....playing bloody songs that every other Band does just to please an audience who don't appreciate something different i still go and support mates who are in bands ect...but i just want to do something different now...got myself booked in for a couple of lessons just to get the hang of it and then i hopefully take it from there....just want the lessons to learn the correct stance and a few tips on technique,not really into been taught songs or theory ect i have a fairly good knowledge on electric bass so hopefully transfer the knowledge onto Upright....that's the plan lol.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1471255721' post='3111541']
got myself booked in for a couple of lessons just to get the hang of it and then i hopefully take it from there....just want the lessons to learn the correct stance and a few tips on technique,not really into been taught songs or theory ect i have a fairly good knowledge on electric bass so hopefully transfer the knowledge onto Upright
[/quote]
Welcome to the darkside, upright is a lot of fun.

Don't discount the idea of studying with a good teacher - I've been studying with a terrific classical teacher (even though all my gigs are pizz and not classical music) who is quite relentless in pushing me out of my comfort zone and systematic in identifying what I really need to work on, and it has really raised my game in a way that I wouldn't have been able to achieve by self study.

Just remember in the beginning to keep your practice sessions short (like 10 mins) - it's quite easy to be having so much fun that you go beyond what your physiology can cope with, and having to take a long break from playing to allow inflamed tendons to calm down to avoid serious injury is very frustrating(speaking from first hand experience of an enforced month off about 3 months after getting started). If you can fit in several short sessions throughout the day, it's more beneficial than one long session. The strength and stamina will come with time, so be patient.

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1471266756' post='3111651']Don't discount the idea of studying with a good teacher - I've been studying with a terrific classical teacher[/quote]

+1, for everything SS has said.

I was in the same position as you 4 years ago and got great advice from this forum and I've not looked back since. Technique-wise there is a big difference between DB and EB and despite fortnightly lessons I still get picked up regularly for letting my technique slip. I could only find a classical/orchestral teacher, but I thought the discipline would do me good - I am now a member of two amateur orchestras and I play DB far more than EB and love all genres.

Lessons from a good teacher would be my advice without disparaging all the good videos out there (including Geoff and Ed) one-to-one sessions correct your technique and keep you on track. I intend to keep regular lessons even after I've finished my ABRSM exams, although less frequently.

Thanks guyz i think you are all spot on i have actually gone back to my old Electric Bass teacher Warren Jolly he's a professional Jazz Bassist and teacher....i went for lessons initially about 15 years ago for about 18 months on and off....so thinking of going fortnightly i just hope that everything works out....my new Bass should be with me tomorrow

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471373986' post='3112641']
Is it here yet? I'm excited!
[/quote]
Yeah arrived yesterday thanks Pete had a couple of short goes on it about 10 to 15 minutes at a time....got my old Bass tutor coming round on Tuesday hopefully he can give me some good advice i feel slightly intimidated by it at the moment and I have no idea what i'm doing lol,but keen to learn it looks gorgeous and I can't wait to get started will keep you posted on any progress cheers for now Bob

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1471421165' post='3112882']
Crazy isn't it? I remember that feeling well, you'll soon be at ease with it and getting a tune out of it.
[/quote]
Think it needs setting up better Pete the action seems really high but until I get some expert advice i can't really say. But got Warren Jolly coming round on Tuesday morning so hopefully he can have a look.
Otherwise if the actions ok??? I'm just a limp wristed fanny lol i heard a quote saying "the actions not to high you gotta dig in like a man" lol watch this space but keep having little goes on it....i will get there i hope?

Loving the new Upright slowly getting a better feel for it going to take a long time but determined to get as good as i can....and certainly improving my ear, suprising how you take for granted the notes and frets but no frets or markers makes you think a lot more and hand strength is improving each go....feeling inspired cheers.

The Drive a Double Bass videos by Michael Klinghoffer on YouTube helped me out a lot when I started playing upright. Very classical focussed but helpful nonetheless. He has a great video where he shows how you can finger a note just using the weight of the bass, which shows just how important it is not to grip the neck too hard. I'll see if I can find a link.

[quote name='Burg' timestamp='1471548521' post='3113937']
The Drive a Double Bass videos by Michael Klinghoffer on YouTube helped me out a lot when I started playing upright. Very classical focussed but helpful nonetheless. He has a great video where he shows how you can finger a note just using the weight of the bass, which shows just how important it is not to grip the neck too hard. I'll see if I can find a link.
[/quote]
Thanks Burg will check him out on youtube cheers Bob

"Playing Double Bass is either easy, or it's impossible" - love that quote! Gary Karr I think.

What it comes down to is finding a way to make all the movements involved in playing come from your core. There's an almost spiritual moment when this starts to make sense and everything is suddenly much easier. Michael's videos explain this better than any I've seen

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1471596516' post='3114242']
"Playing Double Bass is either easy, or it's impossible" - love that quote! Gary Karr I think.

What it comes down to is finding a way to make all the movements involved in playing come from your core. There's an almost spiritual moment when this starts to make sense and everything is suddenly much easier. Michael's videos explain this better than any I've seen
[/quote]
Thanks Neil started watching a few vids yesterday a lot to take in but determined to get there eventually cheers Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bigyin, very interested in your post since my middle son has just started to learn the school double bass and would like his own instrument. I have posted to this effect on the newbie section but would really like to know how you are getting on.

The school have leant us the double bass over the summer for practice (and in fairness he has practiced!). The school double bass is not in great condition which is part of the course for school string instruments (no end pin severe rattle from head and when you move the double bass about there is something loose inside!).

My eldest is learning the Cello (another school instrument), and we had to get the bridge repaired at the Bristol Violin Shop. Now they were brilliant, sorted out the cello including some other issues with instrument even lending a load instrument so he could play in the summer concert. The Cello is now playing better than it has ever played.

I asked for a ball park figure for a new double bass. Essentially they said buy one from Gear 4 Music and then get it to them ASAP (within the return window). They would then check it over and they would then do whatever was necessary to get it to "playable condition" and if it was a dud tell me and get me to return it. The phrase they usually come in and just under £1000 was the bit that made me anxious although I guess I wouldn't need to do all of the work at once.

So I am very interested in how you are finding your new double bass.

[quote name='chickencole' timestamp='1472813784' post='3124445']
Hi Bigyin, very interested in your post since my middle son has just started to learn the school double bass and would like his own instrument. I have posted to this effect on the newbie section but would really like to know how you are getting on.

The school have leant us the double bass over the summer for practice (and in fairness he has practiced!). The school double bass is not in great condition which is part of the course for school string instruments (no end pin severe rattle from head and when you move the double bass about there is something loose inside!).

My eldest is learning the Cello (another school instrument), and we had to get the bridge repaired at the Bristol Violin Shop. Now they were brilliant, sorted out the cello including some other issues with instrument even lending a load instrument so he could play in the summer concert. The Cello is now playing better than it has ever played.

I asked for a ball park figure for a new double bass. Essentially they said buy one from Gear 4 Music and then get it to them ASAP (within the return window). They would then check it over and they would then do whatever was necessary to get it to "playable condition" and if it was a dud tell me and get me to return it. The phrase they usually come in and just under £1000 was the bit that made me anxious although I guess I wouldn't need to do all of the work at once.

So I am very interested in how you are finding your new double bass.
[/quote]

Pm'd

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1473281217' post='3128737']
Personally I'd go for either a Gedo or a Thomann one, there are good G4M ones but they are rarer from what I've seen and tend to need work where the others are normally at least playable if not better out of the box.
A good used is the best bet but they don't come up that often ime.
[/quote]
Hi Pete i must admit you are right about the G4M Upright mine arrived although arrived in perfect condition was well packed ect but it is set up terribly so i now have to find a luthier to set it up for me.
It's very difficult to play and initially i thought why did I bother but hopefully I can persevere and get it sorted and take it from there cheers Bob

Edited by thebigyin