Why become a member? ×

Early days - what should I be aiming for?

highwayman

So I've had my bass for four months now. I took some lessons with a local tutor who showed me how to play some songs (& parts of songs) that I was interested in learning & he'd write them down in tab.
After about seven lessons I realized that, while it was fun to play along, I was just copying & tried a more theory based tutor for one lesson - that was dry & no fun.
Hal Leonard's 'Bass For Kids' (no laughing!) has helped me grasp reading bass clef (in very basic terms) & I've just started on HL's Bass Method book one - though it's a step up (expectedly) in difficulty.
I feel more comfortable playing with a plectrum - maybe when I have reached a proficient standard I'll look at finger playing, but for now I don't want to over-complicate things.
What should I also be doing -along with the HL books - if I want to progress on my bass journey?

The best learning I ever got was going out and playing with other musicians at rehearsals and gigs. Made an absolute pig's ear of my first few public performances but I am thankful every day now for learning the lessons they taught me.

Youtube and on-line tab is also your friend. If the tab is too complicated, just do a search for the guitar chords which will give you the root notes. That way you can play along to songs and work on your time-keeping. A solid bassist with no frills but excellent time-keeping is, imo, more valuable to a band than a flashy one whose sense of rhythm is all over the place.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1470955146' post='3109670']
The best learning I ever got was going out and playing with other musicians at rehearsals and gigs.
[/quote][quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1470960178' post='3109701']
Get playing with other people sooner rather than later - you can learn lots of things from books and playing along with recordings, but playing music with other human beings is more challenging and rewarding, and it's something you can only learn by doing it.
[/quote]

+1. Playing in a band with people who are better than you gets you good super-fast. You play up to their level.

The Hal Lenard books are fine. I would stick with those.

Your at a slight disadvantage, most of us old timers came along at a time when everyone was playing in a band.

In my neighborhood you could hear bands practicing in every other garage or basement.

We were all the same age and we didn't kniw what we were doing ,but we were all at the same level and we learned how to play our instruments from playing with each other.

Aim for what you want to do with music and it might take time to figure that out.

Concentrate on learning your major and minor scales and how to use half and whole steps.

Scott's Bass has some excellent tutorias for beginners.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1470967812' post='3109714']

Your at a slight disadvantage, most of us old timers came along at a time when everyone was playing in a band.

In my neighborhood you could hear bands practicing in every other garage or basement.

We were all the same age and we didn't kniw what we were doing ,but we were all at the same level and we learned how to play our instruments from playing with each other.

Aim for what you want to do with music and it might take time to figure that out.

Concentrate on learning your major and minor scales and how to use half and whole steps.

Don't get hung up in gear. If you gave a bass with good action and intonation your good.

Blue
[/quote]

See what these chaps have said about joining a band... Spot on.

YouTube is also a great place to learn things. Especially if you're wanting to learn a bassline to a song or learn a technique.

The other thing that you should learn properly is your music theory. Can get boring, but worth it in the long run.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470957904' post='3109692']
A solid bassist with no frills but excellent time-keeping is, imo, more valuable to a band than a flashy one whose sense of rhythm is all over the place.
[/quote]

+1 to this and for the same reason I'd recommend getting a drum machine of some sort - either a cheap hardware based one or a software one; you can program them to be as complex or as simple as you would like but the time keeping is unforgiving and will help you learn to keep time yourself whilst developing your creativity.

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1470953499' post='3109656']
So I've had my bass for four months now. I took some lessons with a local tutor who showed me how to play some songs (& parts of songs) that I was interested in learning & he'd write them down in tab.
After about seven lessons I realized that, while it was fun to play along, I was just copying & tried a more theory based tutor for one lesson - that was dry & no fun.
Hal Leonard's 'Bass For Kids' (no laughing!) has helped me grasp reading bass clef (in very basic terms) & I've just started on HL's Bass Method book one - though it's a step up (expectedly) in difficulty.
I feel more comfortable playing with a plectrum - maybe when I have reached a proficient standard I'll look at finger playing, but for now I don't want to over-complicate things.
What should I also be doing -along with the HL books - if I want to progress on my bass journey?
[/quote]

I have total sympathy as I started again from scratch to eradicate bad habits. Kids books are fine especially if you're time challenged like me

There is a place for learning songs and a place for learning theory but you should do both, in turns perhaps

I agree about learning the fretboard or you'll be stuck in first position forever

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1470953499' post='3109656'] What should I also be doing -along with the HL books - if I want to progress on my bass journey?
[/quote]

Most important is have fun: enjoy playing, esp rehearsal and learning !

Focus on timing of notes, where each note starts and stops, and how evenly you can repeat them? Always keep time, tap yer foot, doesn't matter if notes are wrong or missing, don't get behind, or let yourself slow down in places, and don't fix gaffs as you play. Slow the whole song down until you can play it evenly. Keep it simple, make it right. Play with other people. Mess about, break the rules then come back to them !

Enjoy!

LD

Edited by luckydog

Join a band.
First band, maybe other people who are learning... have a laugh and make all your mistakes together, then do some gigs for friends and family. Next band, join a band were everyone else is better than you and do some serious gigs.
I've got a Roland bass cube... it has a simple drum machine built in. You just choose a style, tap in a tempo and away you go... much easier than a drum machine and instant gratification.
... above all, have fun.

There has been no mention so far about developing good (and more importantly...safe[u]..) [/u]technique. Your teacher(s) should have covered this in the first lesson. While nothing is written in stone, there are tried and tested ways to play the bass, which allow you to play to the best of your potential, and at the same time, avoid possible injuries at a later time.

It's not much good knowing the theory, if you have not got the physical wherewithal to get it across efficiently and safely.

Below are some clips to get you started.

See tips numbers 26 & 27 here for playing with a pick :

https://www.carolkaye.com/www/education/tips1.htm

[url="https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=safe+bass+left+hand"]https://www.youtube....+bass+left+hand[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYuqTsUlyM"]https://www.youtube....h?v=uIYuqTsUlyM[/url]

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1470967812' post='3109714']

Blue
[/quote]

"Jumpers for goal posts", that will probably be lost in translation but as ever it has nothing to do with when you were born, do you think there would have been as many young bands looking for a 62 year old bass player in the swinging 60's?

Believe it or not there are sill young people enjoying making music today, none of them will want a 62 year old bass player now just as they didn't then!

[b]Practice[/b]
A point to remember is that four months is almost no time at all. Try and be patient with yourself. Try and practise every day. Little and often is best - ten-minutes practice every night is better than an hour once-a-week.

[b]Posture[/b]
Try and adopt a good straight, yet relaxed posture to avoid back/neck/shoulder problems. When your hands hurt - stop and rest for a bit and shake them out.

[b]Fretting Hand[/b]
At first, your fretting hand will appear to be the 'difficult' one - it's usually the one that hurts most when you're starting out, and there's a natural emphasis to worry about which note you're fretting. Try and use the least amout of pressure that you can to hold down a note. If your bass is set up ok, you probably only need to apply half as much as pressure as you think you do. Hold the string down just behind the fret to avoid string buzz. You're trying to make your fretting hand do weird and unnatural movements, and it's going to take a while to build up strength, flexibility and dexterity. Be patient and relax. It will come.

[b]Picking Hand[/b]
After a while, you should realise that your picking hand is the 'important' one - it doesn't matter so much what note you play, as when you play it. If you're starting off with a pick, practise using even up and down strokes. Set up a drum machine with a standard 'rock' pattern and play a regular 8-note groove on an open string. Try and lock in with the hi-hat. Concentrate on keeping each note even and the same volume. Start slow and only build up the tempo when you've nailed it at a slower speed. Try picking at different places along the string. Notice how the tone changes as you pick closer to the neck or closer to the bridge.

[b]Scales[/b]
Always use a drum machine when learning/practising scales. Start slow, even really slow if you have to, and gradually increase the tempo as you improve.

[b]Listen![/b]
This sounds obvious, but listen to yourself as you play. If you're feeling brave, record yourself and listen back. I find that this is a great way of identifying what areas you need to concentrate on.

[b]Styles[/b]
Obviously, you'll want to play the kind of music that floats your boat, but don't be afraid to try lots of different styles. One of the best things about bass is that it's everywhere - rock, blues, jazz, latin, funk, disco, reggae, metal - you name it. Even if you don't listen to a particular genre of music very much, it can really help if you can try and work out what the bass is doing and apply it to your own playing. At the end of the day, it's all bass!

[b]People[/b]
Most importantly, as a lot of other posts have said, at four-months in, the best thing you could possibly do is play with other people. It doesn't have to be a band - just jamming with someone else will help you loads. Ideally make friends with a drummer, if you can find a tame one ;-) If not a guitard will do (there's lots of them about) or anyone playing anything else for that matter - one of the joys of bass is that it sounds good with pretty much anything.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470993128' post='3109781']
Believe it or not there are sill young people enjoying making music today, none of them will want a 62 year old bass player now just as they didn't then!
[/quote]

There were few 62-year-old players back in the day for the very good reason that a mass-market electric bass didn't appear until the early 50s and wasn't taken up in any significant way until the early 60s. It took time for upright bass players to accept the electric bass and it was initially looked on as a freak. In fact that attitude is still prevalent in some quarters even today.

[quote name='highwayman' timestamp='1470953499' post='3109656']
What should I also be doing. . . . if I want to progress on my bass journey?
[/quote]

You should do what every player whose records you have did, play along to your favourite records. Bands are good but you'll have a lot of distractions and you really have to get the basics down first.

IMO keeping it simple is the best way for a bass player to think.

Who are your favourite players and bands and favourite songs? Play along to them. Find a local jam night and check it out. When you're feeling brave enough, join in. If you like what you hear, start looking for like minded musicians.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470993128' post='3109781']

"Jumpers for goal posts", that will probably be lost in translation but as ever it has nothing to do with when you were born, do you think there would have been as many young bands looking for a 62 year old bass player in the swinging 60's?

[/quote]

My point was, in the States in the mid sixties there were more young people like myself getting into rock and roll ,playing electric guitar and bass and starting bands then there are for young musicians today.

I have no idea what your talking about or what your reply has to do with my post.

By the way my band leader is female and in her late 20s.

Blue

This is how I did it, in no way am I saying its the best way.

I started at 13. I had a few lessons from the bass player in my dads band. He liked the Beatles a lot, so most of the first basslines I ever played were McCartney ones - that was a good start! Lady Madonna, Eight Days a Week and Silly Love Songs. He gave me a hand drawn diagram of all the notes on the fretboard and said that I didn't have to learn them, but if I did, then it would make playing, creating and remembering basslines easier. So I learnt them all and he was right I guess, some people learn what to do by shapes and patterns and I do too to a certain extent, but underneath it all I still know what each note is as I play it. I would say that learning the notes and then being able to tune the bass by ear were major first milestones.

Then I stopped having lessons and he said just go and be in a band and learn songs and practice (he probably couldn't be ar$ed anymore!). So that's what I did, I loved AC/DC so they were ideal beginner (but still awesome) basslines, then a few Iron Maiden ones. All by ear, rewinding tapes or moving the needle back on vinyl. Listening back to isolated bass tracks now on YouTube I realise I was WAY off on some of them but I think it helped train my ears. Then we got into Metallica and Megadeth and the like, it all helped. If I was going to give advice it would be to train your ears as much as your hands and fingers. Easier said than done I know!

YouTube is great, especially the Scotts Bass Lessons site and similar ones (Talking Bass is good too), but I take the covers on there with a pinch of salt, in the same way that Ultimate Guitar tabs should be approached with caution. I use youtube for theory and technique but still try work songs out by ear (if I have the time!).

I picked up on the theory side of things later, I really wish I had done it earlier. Everything makes so much more sense when you know how and why things fit together.

Above all though, it should be fun, even when you have rewound a 5 second part of a song 50 times to try and get what is being played, it should be fun! If it isn't then maybe play something easy like the guitar! :ph34r:

I think I have used the word 'ear' too much!

Edited by interpol52

A boy came home from his first bass lesson. His dad asked him how it went. "Today we learned the E string."

The boy came home from his second lesson and dad asked him how it went. "Today we learned the A string."

The boy came home from his third lesson. Dad asked, "So did you learn the D string today?"

"Nope. Today I had a gig."

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1471027519' post='3110135']
A boy came home from his first bass lesson. His dad asked him how it went. "Today we learned the E string."

The boy came home from his second lesson and dad asked him how it went. "Today we learned the A string."

The boy came home from his third lesson. Dad asked, "So did you learn the D string today?"

"Nope. Today I had a gig."
[/quote]

Those 3 lessons were money well spent by Mr Clayton senior :)

Thank you for your many fine and helpful replies.

MrDave - you're right, four months is no time really: I remember being thrilled when I could string a simple bass line together. I think the fact is now I have 'a foot in the door'... I can see the size of the room - and it's big!

I've been reading posts to this thread all day & have been inspired to think of strategies that will encourage me. I bought a Hercules music stand the other week and - despite the wealth of online resources/videos - I think I learn best from printed material. I've decided to seek out a notation book of mixed artists (I'm keen not to fall into the habit of using TAB) nothing too complicated, that I can 'lose' myself in. I'm thinking 80's new wave/post punk stuff perhaps - anyone know if such thing exists?

Ref. bands: I'm absolutely open to the idea, though while the vast majority of my listening choices are four & five pieces, my own musical ambition is to work with a skilled synth player to create cinematic pieces: not ambient, but driving numbers with a strong, bass-driven melody.

Thanks again all for inspiring me!

Edit addition: Been doing a search for bass song books - if you don't like Metallica or RHCP (I don't...), then there aren't masses of printed choice (couldn't find Killing Joke, Depeche Mode or Duran Duran books for example), there is a Boz Burrell Bad Company one but it's a print-it-yourself affair. Anyway, I've ordered Best Of ZZ Top for bass, so hopefully I'll be learning & having fun.

Edited by highwayman