Why become a member? ×

I wrote a book about being in a covers band

Dave Vader

For those desperately wondering from where to order a copy ...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weekend-Rockstars-Dave-Holwill-ebook/dp/B01JWTBJ2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905341&sr=8-2&keywords=dave+holwill"]You can get it here on kindle[/url]

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weekend-Rockstars-Dave-Holwill/dp/1534785973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905341&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+holwill"]Or you can get a paperback from here[/url]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1480387109' post='3183980']
No, I haven't read the book. I'm not much of a reader. However, this book has got my curiosity going and I plan on reading it.
[/quote]

Maybe Blue could give a review, as seen from a US perspective..? It could boost international sales, I'm sure.
@Blue: If you've not yet ordered a copy, it's still highly recommended reading. You'll love it, I'm certain. I'd send you my copy, but I'm now reading it again for the fourth time; it just keeps on giving...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1487948782' post='3244476']
For those desperately wondering from where to order a copy ...

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weekend-Rockstars-Dave-Holwill-ebook/dp/B01JWTBJ2W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905341&sr=8-2&keywords=dave+holwill"]You can get it here on kindle[/url]

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weekend-Rockstars-Dave-Holwill/dp/1534785973/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470905341&sr=8-1&keywords=dave+holwill"]Or you can get a paperback from here[/url]

Maybe Blue could give a review, as seen from a US perspective..? It could boost international sales, I'm sure.
@Blue: If you've not yet ordered a copy, it's still highly recommended reading. You'll love it, I'm certain. I'd send you my copy, but I'm now reading it again for the fourth time; it just keeps on giving...)
[/quote]

My attempts to boost international sales were scuppered by a couple of well known forums telling me off for my signature link and a couple of threads like this one. Apparently I would need to register as a trader member - despite this costing me a good deal more than I make from selling books.

One of the forums was much nicer than the other and let the original thread stand. I did quite well for a week while they were there, not trader member money well, but quite well. Bastards..
:)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1487946795' post='3244454']
Wow! That's more than I made from record sales.
[/quote]

I keep having to pay people to listen to my records...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1487948782' post='3244476']
I'm now reading it again for the fourth time; it just keeps on giving...)
[/quote]

Bloody hell Douglas, thanks very much, that's high praise indeed (you might end up being quoted on my next begging advert for this, thanks)

Just ordered my copy. It's due to be delivered the same day as my new amp. Don't know what that says about me.

Dave, as someone who wrote a couple of novels myself in my younger days (which, mercifully for the reading public, I'm sure, remain unpublished) I know what a huge undertaking writing a book is. Writing a good one is even more difficult. Writing a good, [i]funny [/i]book is about as rare as it gets I would posit. Really looking forward to this and the very best for future endeavours.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1487946635' post='3244452']
Why yes, I made nearly £8 from book sales last month,
;)

Its a start. Like putting your money in a "good" bank. It's an investment that can only grow. :D On the plus side that's more than i made from any books that i've never written :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Please tell your friends you enjoyed it - otherwise I'll have to keep playing Mustang Sally to idiots forever)

Wait a minute i've been in the audience for Mustang Sally. ........DAMN !!!!! i'm stupid :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/quote]

Have considered it yes Chris, my friend Sarah (who does the cowboy chilli down in Camden Lock) wanted one, so I told her she'd have to voice it for me. It's still a possibility.

Thanks for facebooking me Dave.

10w amp, Harry? Was it you or someone who turned up to audition with you? You can tell me, it's safe...

• 5 months later...

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]For those who asked when the next book is coming out... (not a sequel, or about bands, sorry)[/font][/color]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Next Friday, more details later or on...[/font][/color]
[url="http://www.daveholwill.com/"]www.daveholwill.com[/url]

[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif]Thanks[/font][/color]
[color=#34495E][font=Lato, sans-serif](Now in second draft hell with the third book)[/font][/color]

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1503660306' post='3360045']
More details, it's out, it's done, you can buy it here...
[/quote]

Ordered (of course...).If it's half as good as the preceding novel, it'll be brilliant. I needed new reading matter for the 'little room' in any case, so well done on timing. :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503662717' post='3360079']

Ordered (of course...).If it's half as good as the preceding novel, it'll be brilliant. I needed new reading matter for the 'little room' in any case, so well done on timing. :mellow:
[/quote]
Wouldn't it be better to have a spare loo roll 😁

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1503733124' post='3360552']
Wouldn't it be better to have a spare loo roll..?
[/quote]
[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503742643' post='3360638']
As reading matter..? A bit dull, don't you think..? :huh:
[/quote]

Quite, you always know whodunnit. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1503660306' post='3360045']
More details, it's out...
[/quote]

Too early for a full review, and I wouldn't want to spoil the ending, anyway, but I've received my copy, and a cursory glance through the opening pages confirms my suspicions: this is going to be another Good Read. Delivered promptly (to France...) in discreet brown wrappings (well, an Amazon cardboard envelope, really...), with just a hint of excess glue on the edges of the Page 4 (quickly and easily removed...), I've now got several sessions of perusal before me, poring over the pages, absorbing the imaginary portrayal of these fictional (ah, but are they..?) characters, with their foibles, idiosyncrasies, quirks and eccentricities, often more true to life than life itself.
Now then, where did I put my specs, eh..? What..? On my nose..? Ah yes; as always. Cheers.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1503660306' post='3360045']...
Also I've been writing this book...
[/quote]

And jolly good it is, too..! An avid read, with some deliciously quotable 'throw-away' lines ("... as Silvia clamped the old-fashioned mincer into place on the kitchen worktop.", "That smug-faced young moron in his ear defenders would look a whole lot better with an arrow through one of his hands." or "...nearly jumped out of her skin as the Walking Dead-Cow suddenly veered into sight around a corner."). The book suffers from its own strengths in that, being a genuine page-turner, one is almost certain to quaff it in mighty draughts. It is not going to last a fortnight on the beach; its two-hundred pages will be spent promptly, such is the pace of the racy rocambolesque romp, with twists and turns galore. A tragicomedy, if not black humour, at least dark grey, the events painted however with a light touch belaying the more sombre undertones. Quaint but incredibly credible characters (we all know many of them from our own entourage...) pop in and out of the chapters, as large as life, portrayed in deft strokes guided by fine observation. The storyline is captivating, the plot thickens like quick-drying cement, delightfully binding our attention and drawing the author's emprise ever tighter. 'The Craft Room'..? A crafty, well-crafted craft in which we're willing to peregrinate, to explore, eager to learn the denouement. My thumb is up; this is a Good Read.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1504536295' post='3365512']
My copy (of the first book) arrived today. Mrs Norris has probably already started on it before I get home from work
[/quote]

Order the second one straight away, then, read one each, then swap, 'coz your good lady is not likely to relinquish hold until finished. ;)