Why become a member? ×

StereoLab - anyone else a fan

Wonky2

My all time fave band, never seen them mentioned on here.....

Formed in the early 90's with a French / London based synth influenced krautrock/ lounge/ 60's pop euro chic....
In the early days, a lot like the velvet underground sound... Repetitive drone based guitar riffs and socio politic lyrical content.... I like it but it's not the stereolab I like.

The stereolab I like came about in 97 with a new bass player (Richard Harrison) and the release of dots and loops.
A different sound for the band, hints on jazz, more relaxed feel with more retro synth / moog and retro sound experimentation... The bass more to the fore than before.
Tim gane and front lady laetitia sadier went on after backing vox Mary Hansen's untimely death ( bicycle/Lorry accident in London)... But they never fully recovered I guess.... Understandably.

Laetitia sadier went on to do some great songs lo and collaboration work, with her recent album "something shines " being just truly outstanding.
I urge you to at least have a listen, it's seductivley inspiring.
It is an aquired taste for sure and I know it won't appeal to the masses, but me, i will always have a soft spot for the French disco/pop sound of bands like stereolab, air, and Phoenix.
So, any other fans ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VNyCK9Xb1SI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zuZL3j-r0w

Edited by Wonky2

Love them! I think I must have all their studioalbums and Switched On collections, and most EPs.
I love Dots and Loops like you do, but also rate the two albums before it highly. Special mention for Sound-Dust from 2001.

The ONLY drawback with Stereolab is my iPod loving them to death in its shuffle software from OS v.1.22 - - meaning I can never walk the dog without getting a few Stereolab songs - which does tend to become too much eventually when one walks the dog four times a day - now for six years. :)

Excellent ! I have a plus 1!!!

Yes, I have all the albums and love many, sound dust , mar's audio quintet, emporer tomato ketchup and on and on ..... Just not as keen on the velvet undergroundy sounding early stuff, I prefer the more bass orientated stuff...

I assume you have a copy of laetitia sadiers "something shines"... It truly is an exquisite work of art!

I adore Stereolab!
My fave album is Cobra and Phases Group Play Voltage in the Milky Night - the first one I bought, initially for this song:

http://youtu.be/QPcc07HqZUc

I used to play the bassline to this over and over when I first got serious about playing bass. Great for building stamina! Percolator is pretty knarley too.
Hey thanks for the heads up on Lætitia's latest. Not heard it yet and I must!

I was lucky enough to support Laetitia Sadier at Oxford, and the band were all quite charming. That last album was beautiful to watch them do live.
Great p-bass with flats sound on the album. The bass player Palm muted for the whole gig as he had to string with rounds, not having any spare flats on him when he bust a string the previous night... Still sounded good though!

MBA... That's very cool indeed, and yes , I'd imagine quite a treat to behold live...
There is s honesty to the music, the socio politic still remains and the music not only has a crafted beauty about it, but some definate worth in its lyrical content.

Milestone, you would not regret purchasing something shines blind and on my recommendation alone . I am quite sure you will become very attached to it.

Ironically, I did type out this original post at length with lots of history/detail etc but when I switched to search links for songs to drop into the post came back to the page for it to be refreshed and gone ! I initially did this, not once, but 3 times!
I figured it's likely Obscure and I may In fact be a very small minority so relented and never posted up..... That was prob 12 months ago.

Tonight i felt compelled again to reach out to other fans and unbelievably did it again ! Hahaha the last attempt I posted the links up first then bs k filled with the text! Rediculous I know but still...

I'm glad I did as amongst all the people I know I don't know any other fans ,
Considering such great bass tones I wondered if the things I loved were an attractant to other bass players.

I could not stop listening to miss sadiers latest album

Try this one:

https://youtu.be/C9hTiqts5Ms

;)

Edited by Wonky2

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1470776288' post='3108442']
Excellent ! I have a plus 1!!!
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1470776288' post='3108442']
I assume you have a copy of laetitia sadiers "something shines"...
[/quote]

Nope. Barely knew it existed. No food for me or the dog next month, and it's all your fault!

[quote name='Stu-khag' timestamp='1470807471' post='3108539']
I saw the album sound dust in this beautiful pink book type case so bought it.
[/quote]

That's the very limited limited edition, but maybe you knew that.
IMS one had to pre-order it from one of only two outlets. I may misremember though.

Bought the 'Ping Pong' single and the 'Emperor Tomato Ketchup' album way back. Never investigated further - maybe I should!

Album was on some bright glitter vinyl. Purchased it used for under a fiver, eBay'd it some years later for around £40 to a chap in Canada.

I always find it difficult to relate to this style of music. There's very little tangible about it, nothing you can get a hook into. I wouldn't quite describe it as background ....but it's definitely "non involvement" music. That said it is excellent to have on if you're trying to study or read.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1470910589' post='3109269']
I wouldn't quite describe it as background ....but it's definitely "non involvement" music. That said it is excellent to have on if you're trying to study or read.
[/quote]

You're not listening to it anywhere loud enough ;)

ah Stereolab, used to see them a lot around 1990 playing with bands like the Faith Healers (anyone here remember them????) when Camden was the best place in London. Hard to imagine, I know. Anyone remember the 'Camden Lurch'? Venues like the The Falcon? The Sausage Machine?

In regards to bass playing, dots and loops (rob Harrison on bass '97) it's great.... And yes, loud is a must.

I remember purchasing some expensive maudant short hifi speakers at the time and putting dits and loops on for their first whirl..... Just epic!

Laetitia's "something shines" is outstanding , with that same bass sound in places, but as always the socio politic theme driving a message through the Beauty...

Another one I play alot is ping pong off mar's audio quartet .... The message still relevant today as was back then....

I also like French disco pop band "Air" , the virgin suicides just epic, great film to... But the backing band for air went on to become Phoenix.... Not keen on their latest album but everything before great!

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1471077966' post='3110357']
I played musical saw on the Cobra and Phrases album. Seems like years ago now...
[/quote]

Well, that put me right! I thought you were just the Prescott Kev who played with Derek Bailey. Now I learn you're THE Kev! ;)
I must now pull out Cobra and Phases and listen to you.

(BTW, we share Derek. He's the guy who asked me what my goal was, uponwhich I answered that it was playing with guys like him and Evan Parker, to which he simply responded: Well, you're not ready!" :D )