Why become a member? ×

Why the hate?

barneyg42

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1470768210' post='3108322']
I could never [i]hate[/i] another musician because of his performance techniques. I might lure him to a deserted warehouse and shoot him in the face but I'd do it with love in my heart.
[/quote]

so you wouldnt prefer to see an instructional video of carol kaye showing gene simmonds how to actually play the goddam bass... and just for good measure pulling his trousers down and smacking the back of his legs in public to bring him down a peg or two???

i bet theres quite a few chatters who'd pay good money for it!

:yarr: :ph34r:

In my experience, meet a famous musician four times, and you're likely to feel you've met four different people. Then again, my experience is mostly from classical music circles, not from rock circles.

As to Clayton, and written with respect, to me he comes across as more of an insecure man. If true, that could be one part of the explanation of how he can come across as something completely different. It would depend on the situation.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1470768925' post='3108333']
As to Clayton, to me he comes across as a highly insecure man.
[/quote]

Apparently a vast fortune can make you very nervous. I'd like to know if that's true at first-hand. Not likely, however.

Edited by discreet

Shall we settle this once and for all with a Bass-Off?

I nominate two bands each comprising three bassists thus:[list]
[*]In the red corner -
SMV (Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller and Victor Wooten)
[*]and in the blue corner -
MAJ (Mark King, Adam Clayton and Jaco Pastorius)
[/list]
Let the grumbling begin FOR REAL...

I don't necessarily hate any bassists. There are a few that I simply don't 'get'. Victor Wooten being one, great technique but I just can't listen to it.

Billy Sheehan is another. I saw him at the London Bass Guitar Show last year and I really like listening to him talk and share his experiences. I just don't like it when he solos.

I still respect them as musicians though.

I like Adam Claytons basslines!

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1470770013' post='3108354']
I like Adam Claytons basslines!
[/quote]

Same here, New Years Day, I Will Follow, Pride, With or Without You, all have a great feel to them and suit the song perfectly. Plus New Years Day is probably one of those iconic basslines where many know it and can recognise the song purely from that, even if they don`t know who AC is.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1470770213' post='3108360']
Same here, New Years Day, I Will Follow, Pride, With or Without You, all have a great feel to them and suit the song perfectly. Plus New Years Day is probably one of those iconic basslines where many know it and can recognise the song purely from that, even if they don`t know who AC is.
[/quote]

I'm not a big U2 fan but I entirely agree. We read a lot of posts about the merits of 'serving the song' and surely this is what Clayton does in spades? And given that U2 are one of the most successful bands in the world his contribution is surely beyond reproach.

Someone mentioned jealousy earlier . . . .

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1470771632' post='3108376']

I'm not a big U2 fan but I entirely agree. We read a lot of posts about the merits of 'serving the song' and surely this is what Clayton does in spades? And given that U2 are one of the most successful bands in the world his contribution is surely beyond reproach.

[/quote]

I think that both Clayton and The Edge are good at serving the song. I don't think I recall any overplaying on any U2 songs. If it weren't for Bono I would probably be a fan.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1470771242' post='3108371']
No hate, however when your my age, these guys are not relevant to me. The guys I like and have influenced, me cone out of the 60s & 70s.
[/quote]

I find that really odd. I am 10 years younger than you. The guys that I like and have influenced me come out of every decade since the 60s. Presumably even the 50s that I don't know about, including classical lines from a different century.

I actually don't understand people stuck in one decade, although I know a lot of people are.

I have no problem with anyone or what they do with their bass. That's the point; it's an instrument, you can do what you want with it. If everyone sounded like Jaco or Mark King or whoever, it would get boring very quickly. Variety is the spice of life.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1470771632' post='3108376']

[/quote]

I really do not get the jealousy thing, can I not just be allowed to not enjoy a band without being anything other than just not enjoying it? Does there have to be a reason, jealous,ignorant,not musically educated enough, etc etc?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1470772264' post='3108388']
U2 were formed in the 70s.
[/quote]

I lived in Ireland at the time and found myself working in Dublin after I finished school in 1980.

I think it was the first Live Aid in 1985 when U2 started to go big internationally. We had watched the lead up to that for a few years. As fresh liberated young men we had to admire Bono's barefaced cheek at stealing the "Doo - Doodoo" hook from Lou Reed's Take a Walk on the Wild Side while he played the crowd like a true pro. Don't condemn me, as a young Dub, it was that or become a fan of The Boomtown Rats.

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470773854' post='3108406']
I really do not get the jealousy thing, can I not just be allowed to not enjoy a band without being anything other than just not enjoying it? Does there have to be a reason, jealous,ignorant,not musically educated enough, etc etc?
[/quote]

Me neither. I was thinking more about the criticisms of Clayton's ability than U2's music itself.

Not liking a particular piece or style of music is fine by me - heck, I'm guilty (if that's the right word) of this myself - and really doesn't required any justification as far as I'm concerned.

I was just pointing out that Clayton might or might not be the worlds most gifted bassist but he's very well suited to U2 and he doesn't seem to have held them back in becoming one of the planet's most popular bands. As such it could be argued that he's one of the planet's most successful bassists :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470773854' post='3108406']
I really do not get the jealousy thing, can I not just be allowed to not enjoy a band without being anything other than just not enjoying it? Does there have to be a reason, jealous,ignorant,not musically educated enough, etc etc?[/quote]

Music forum tradition, just be grateful you weren't told you just don't "get it".