Why become a member? ×

Carlos Degner of Interpol

BrunoBass

One of my favourite bands of the early to mid 2000's was New York quartet Interpol. Their first two albums Turn On The Bright Lights (2002) and Antics (2004) are both excellent, in my opinion, with much credit due to Carlos Degner and his tight, chunky basslines (Fender Jazz, I think). I lost interest after Antics as the quality of their output deteriorated, and Degner left the band (and apparently hasn't so much as touched a bass guitar since). I've never seen Interpol mentioned on the forum, any fans out there?

So which Interpol album would you recommend?

They are a band people keep telling me I should like given my general musical tastes, but everything I've heard so far has left me feeling distinctly underwhelmed.

The best modern take on post-punk that I've heard in recent years has been "Here Are The Roses" by Dragons.

I'd recommend 'Antics' and 'Turn On the Bright Lights' for their slightly rawer sound. Probably one of my favourite live bands too.

It is a little lighter than some post-punk, heading towards a New York indie sound, but the fact it is so dark most of the time and the way the guitar, bass and drums interact seem to point more towards a band who have a lot of respect for the punk scene.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470748187' post='3108118']
I thought he played Rickenbackers?

May be wrong.

[/quote]

He may well have done. I only ever remember seeing him with a Jazz on stage but I remember reading that he often used a Stingray in the studio.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

The main songwriter, Paul Banks, has written his own solo material and the bass lines are clearly very important to him.

Carlos seemed to always use a black Jazz in the photos I've seen, and when I've seen them live before he left. Also, the tone and most the albums, IIRC, is a Jazz tone. Could be wrong.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1470753779' post='3108182']
He may well have done. I only ever remember seeing him with a Jazz on stage but I remember reading that he often used a Stingray in the studio.
[/quote]

Think I'm confused with the bassist from Editors.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1470753582' post='3108178']

Antics is a great starting point
[/quote]

Agreed. It's the one that got me into Interpol. As my username would suggest, I am quite a fan!

I love his bass playing, there are some disco touches to his lines, especially on the chorus to songs like Slow Hands and through Narc. Evil is a personal favourite of mine, it's right up there with my favourite songs of all time. The latter part of Public Pervert is worth a listen for good idea of what Carlos is all about.

Their albums are slow burners in my opinion, it's not the kind of this that you fall in love with after one listen. I found that the songs all came to life after about 3 or 4 listens, after that I became hooked.

I saw them live in Sheffield on the Our Love To Admire tour and they were awesome.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1470760001' post='3108256']

Think I'm confused with the bassist from Editors.
[/quote]

Easy mistake. Editors often compared to Interpol. Russell Leetch has switched to a P more recently when I've seen them.

I didn't like 'Our Love to Admire' and 'Interpol' but thought 'El Pintor' was great, though Carlos had left by then...

Loved the first 2 albums, bought the 3rd and was really disappointed with it and have pretty much ignored everything since then. The bass on the first 2 albums is excellent, really interesting playing that makes the sometimes minimal guitar lines into an actual song. It's a bit sickening to think bass isn't his first instrument and wasn't interested in it but still managed to come up with the great lines he did.

Obstacle 1 or Say Hello To The Angels would be my suggested starting point.