Why become a member? ×

Annoying earth problem (that wasnt)

Twincam

My bass all of a sudden started buzzing today horribly when I had my hand off the strings.
I double checked where I first plugged in and then plugged in elsewhere in the same room. No joy. This is a room I'm often in btw and no issues ever before.
Cue me first removing the bridge, as it had been off yesterday and making sure the earth had a nice contact. No joy.
So I then went through all the electrics as over the years they had been messed with slightly it looked like. No joy.
So I then re soldered and tidied up the electrics. No joy.

Turns out there was a little power supply plug next to where I plugged the amp in (the second time) which either wasn't in correctly or something. As wiggling it made the noise go.
Obviously it had still affected the first socket I plugged in. And the fact that touching the bass made the noise go away lead me down the wrong path.

I would say I wasted my time but the bass I'm sure sounds a bit better (slightly more output) after i re did the electrics.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' timestamp='1470674367' post='3107553']
Your electricity supply is a very "connected" thing, and devices can have a huge impact elsewhere in the house. Humming noises might be a result of the fridge in the kitchen, or a dimmer switch in the sitting room. Can make it hard to track issues down.

S.P.
[/quote]

Yes indeed, I knew that too lol.
Which is why its a good reminder to really check these things.

We had this last night at practice, lead guitarist was getting quite a bit of hum from his guitar when standing in certain places and positions..... and was fiddling with everything on his board and amp and leads......until I pointed out he was stood directly under a strip light.......!