Why become a member? ×

Given up on the B string

randymussel

I used my four string for one song last night - Treasure by Bruno Mars.

Not played the four live in about a year, since I got the five last summer. It was easier to play that mainly slapped song on the four, so I plan to keep doing that; but it felt so weird to be playing a light, thin necked instrument and felt like part of it was missing.

I'm definitely more at home on five strings :)

A lot of time, people give up on 5s because they have the wrong mindset from the start.

We tend to think too much, instead of just letting go and playing, we're looking at the bass as a 4 string with an extra string. It's not that, it's a 5 string. I play most of my lines starting at the 5th fret on the B string, so that's my low E note, low F I would play at the 6th fret etc. Bb at the 1st fret on the A string I'd play at the 6th fret on the E string. If I have to play anything high up on the G string, then it's all there under my fingers.

Scale length in my opinion makes little or no difference. I gave up on 4 string basses about 20 years ago, I've since played a myriad of basses, some 34", some 35", even a friends 33" scale 6 string. Again we're thinking too much about the instrument. It just requires a slight alteration of finger pressure to adjust across the strings.

One of my students has an Ibanez 6 string that cost him something like £500 brand new, it's an amazing instrument, cost doesn't really factor in to it too much. A well designed bass is just that. Ibanez and Yamaha make some amazing 'budget' instruments.

We tend to be quite lazy, and also tend to play patterns, get away from playing patterns, and play notes. Know what the notes are in the lines you're playing.

I bought my first 5 string on one Saturday, and used it the following Friday. I'd mentally bought it weeks previously, and had just visualised playing lines on it. It made the whole process a lot easier. Plus I was playing notes on it, not just patterns.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472466585' post='3121249']
I hope you all did the dance moves.
[/quote]

Ummm......no, but then I'm not sure anyone wants to see my white-man-dad-dancing-interpretation of Bruno's performance :lol:

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1472467868' post='3121263']
A lot of time, people give up on 5s because they have the wrong mindset from the start.

We tend to think too much, instead of just letting go and playing, we're looking at the bass as a 4 string with an extra string. It's not that, it's a 5 string. I play most of my lines starting at the 5th fret on the B string, so that's my low E note, low F I would play at the 6th fret etc. Bb at the 1st fret on the A string I'd play at the 6th fret on the E string. If I have to play anything high up on the G string, then it's all there under my fingers.

Scale length in my opinion makes little or no difference. I gave up on 4 string basses about 20 years ago, I've since played a myriad of basses, some 34", some 35", even a friends 33" scale 6 string. Again we're thinking too much about the instrument. It just requires a slight alteration of finger pressure to adjust across the strings.

One of my students has an Ibanez 6 string that cost him something like £500 brand new, it's an amazing instrument, cost doesn't really factor in to it too much. A well designed bass is just that. Ibanez and Yamaha make some amazing 'budget' instruments.

We tend to be quite lazy, and also tend to play patterns, get away from playing patterns, and play notes. Know what the notes are in the lines you're playing.

I bought my first 5 string on one Saturday, and used it the following Friday. I'd mentally bought it weeks previously, and had just visualised playing lines on it. It made the whole process a lot easier. Plus I was playing notes on it, not just patterns.
[/quote]

I wish we had a like button.

This is exactly right.

For me, I play on muscle memory an awful lot so by the time I've thought about something, I've done it and we are moving on.
This means everything is to hand in the right place. I haven't got time to worry about spacing... it has been grooved in along with everything else I do..and it took me 18th months to be that comfortable.

If you don't need that, then that is the way you approach things