Why become a member? ×

Want it, try it, don't like it

grumpyguts

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1470747027' post='3108098']

You didn't go close enough to your amp to do any cool feedback-y things then ;)
[/quote]

Um, need a hollow body for am-dram pit work. Not sure cool feedback stuff is going to work in South Pacific....!

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1470814457' post='3108569']
It's brutal out there for us kack-handers.
[/quote]

Amen to that! :lol:

I didn't get on with my Lull when I first got it though which was brought blind from a Swedish guy on leftybass, the neck was super slim compared to my P/Sandberg, it was my first active and my first 5 string but after a few months of playing it I loved it (love it even more now I've put a Sadowsky Pre in it!) so I don't really mind buying blind too much, as long as it comes as described anyway! :happy:

I paid £1600 for a brand new Rickenbacker which went back the next day. I'd had a 4001 years ago (my first 'proper' bass) and rose-tinted glasses prompted the purchase, but I just hated it. Still a stunning looking thing, though. I'd bought it from a retailer with a returns policy just in case (they're a very Marmite bass), but if I'd tried it in a shop I'd have known straight away I wasn't going to like it.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1470817561' post='3108612']
Um, need a hollow body for am-dram pit work. Not sure cool feedback stuff is going to work in South Pacific....!
[/quote]

Why do you need a semi-hollow for pit work? Surely that's one of the very rare instances where the bass you use (so long as it doesn't impede your playing style or sound completely rubbish) is completely irrelevant?

I'm a firm believer that a bass will speak to you when it's the right one. Until then, just keep trying different ones and don't worry, if it's not the one, it's not the one.

Play sales, arpeggios, and have a 'guitar shop special' piece that you always play so you're not sat there with red light fever. Doesn't need to be flash, no one is listening.

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1470746701' post='3108092']
Agreed. The dingwall combustion had one of the nicest playing necks of any bass i have owned, and I was very happy with it when i tried it, but I just couldn't get 'my sound' out of it, whatever I did it was uninspiring.
[/quote]

Not to derail this thread but, I've read this comment a couple of times and struggled to understand what you and maybe one or two others were saying. At any rate, we listened and I think we've figured it out. New pickups have been developed and are working their way toward being put into production. Just thought I'd share that. The power of users forums is pretty cool.

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1470856658' post='3109020']
Not to derail this thread but, I've read this comment a couple of times and struggled to understand what you and maybe one or two others were saying. At any rate, we listened and I think we've figured it out. New pickups have been developed and are working their way toward being put into production. Just thought I'd share that. The power of users forums is pretty cool.
[/quote]

Great to hear it - the combustion was a joy to play (and look at), but didn't like the sound, and more significantly the guitarist in the group I was in didn't either. It was the sort of sound I am sure a lot of people would love, but I couldn't get dirt or anger out of it, it was very civilised, and I wasn't. I will certainly try to get a go when there are the new pickups.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1470824790' post='3108716']

Why do you need a semi-hollow for pit work? Surely that's one of the very rare instances where the bass you use (so long as it doesn't impede your playing style or sound completely rubbish) is completely irrelevant?
[/quote]

To a point, but some parts are written for double bass and the MD might request an acoustic. I've got an acoustic for this purpose but it's a bit cumbersome and noisy. Plus the guys on stage might be amateurs but the pit guys are all pros who tend to have trained at the Royal academy or Birmingham conservatoire. Band call for west side story was one 3 hour rehearsal, job done, no issues. They've got an ear for detail!

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1470898369' post='3109169']
To a point, but some parts are written for double bass and the MD might request an acoustic. I've got an acoustic for this purpose but it's a bit cumbersome and noisy. Plus the guys on stage might be amateurs but the pit guys are all pros who tend to have trained at the Royal academy or Birmingham conservatoire. Band call for west side story was one 3 hour rehearsal, job done, no issues. They've got an ear for detail!
[/quote]

I see. And as you've discovered, with electric hollow-bodied basses, the hollow body doesn't impart any significant character on the sound of the bass. If you got a model with a piezo bridge you might get a more acoustic sound out of it, but it will most likely suffer from the same noise problems that you are already encountering. If you are looking for something that will cover electric and acoustic/DB then I'd look for a Lightwave bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1470898942' post='3109174']

I see. And as you've discovered, with electric hollow-bodied basses, the hollow body doesn't impart any significant character on the sound of the bass. If you got a model with a piezo bridge you might get a more acoustic sound out of it, but it will most likely suffer from the same noise problems that you are already encountering. If you are looking for something that will cover electric and acoustic/DB then I'd look for a Lightwave bass.
[/quote]

Great, not heard of them, thank you.

Yup, for about five months I saved up about £700 for a five stringer. Once I got the dosh I went to Bass Direct, Richards Guitars in Stratford and a few other places having seen some tasty looking bits of kit on their websites. After spending about three hours trying out a good dozen or so I gave up, realising I just don't like them mainly cos of the closeness of the strings making them harder to slap n pop and double thumb. Disappointing or what. The spent half the money on a Sterling SUB stringer instead. Much more satisfying.

I haven't bought a new or used instrument in a shop for years. I bought an Aria Magna 5 in Nottingham many years ago and that was the last one. They just just don't feel right unless I built or commissioned it. My Bass Doc P is the right one, shiny instrument syndrome doesnt happen for me. .