Why become a member? ×

American Standard Jaguar vs Flea RW Jazz

EmaTheMirror

Right, I know the title sounds stupid as they are miles apart, but I'm currently quite interested in both instruments, the Jaguar leading the GAS ATM.

Fender-wise I currently have a Classic 50 P with an Spb1 which sounds really great and I love it to bits (that's also to say the USA/MEX factor is not that important per sé) so I was thinking to compliment it with another Fender. The Jaguar seems to be a versatile beast, which can also deliver classic Fender tones at the flick of a switch. I also love the shape and style, my only doubt about it being the fear it will turn out to be more like an enhanced P rather than an axe capable of delivering J-like tones. Sadly, it looks like it's now quite hard to find the older model with two single coils - the one Sergio Vega from Deftones used extensively, and the lesser non-US models are in fact stripped down versions without the wiring benefits of the Jaguar.

The Flea looks alright (I'd do without a decal-like relic, but that's the deal anyway) and I guess feels nice. I already have a passive 5 strings with a heavy Ash body and two single coils but it sounds far darker and bassier than the "typical fender J" due to pickups and wood/construction, so that wouldn't be "yet another J in my rig". I'm also curious about the stacked pots and the interesting blends you can come up with, though control-wise the Jaguar is pretty much a beast.

Has anyone tried any? perhaps even both and A/Bed them?

Or what is your say on this anyway, having in mind that I'd also get one to compliment my Classic P?

I love both Js and Ps, though the latter fits in slightly better for what I usually do.

Edited by EmaTheMirror

The flea jazz is great. I returned mine because the finish on the back of the neck started flacking only after a week...but the bass otherwise is great. Tone and feel wise it feels like a proper vintage instrument. My other problem was the RW finish, it looked and felt fake, for me this is a bit lame. Ultimately, its about how it feels to you... Try one at your local store and see what feels better. I want a jazz but i want to wear it down myself with my own memories :)

It's a weird one, that Flea bass...I did like the look of it, but I'd feel a bit conflicted at the exclusivity of it.

No idea how many they made, but it would only be a matter of time before you're gigging with some funkster upstart using the same bass chip for chip.

I have been having a drool over the US Jaguar; it just seems on the surface to have a bit more versatility when you look at the switching options, although I would suspect once you find your desired tone, you'd probably just leave the switching alone.

Jaguar here.

If you already have a Fender P - and are looking at a SS Jag (Jazz like pickups) . . . What about a used Japanese one?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw=fender+jaguar+bass+japan&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=&rmvSB=true"]http://www.ebay.com/...Ads=&rmvSB=true[/url]

Maybe you could go with a Fender or a Licenced neck and go with a custom build... e.g. Warmoth. That'd give you more options with regards to finish and custom routing (e.g. LEDs, extra pickups like a Stu Hamm Urge or the like).
Personally I'd like to see the Jaguar body shape with a Tele headstock shape, like the below.

Edit - I know that's a P bodyshape . . . Here's more what I mean:
[attachment=225082:Alder-3UPFront-withPick_Combined.png]

Edited by PlungerModerno

[quote name='Lightlyseared' timestamp='1470582643' post='3106873']
the one classic Fender tone it won't nail (IMO) is the J-bass with both pickups on "sweet spot".
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I was actually interested in the sound both pickups give when blended in parallel. Obviously I expect more punch and belly with the P and ceramic J compared to two standard Alnico Js, but P+J configurations are often praised for their ability to provide both the P's "good frequencies" to sit in the mix and the J articulation + the nice smooth cancellation effect you get when blending two pickups in parallel. What is your impression about that when playing your Jaguar? Is the ceramic J miles apart from a classic J pickup or is it a nice feature which copes better when blended with the P?

The P itself is a good CS split coil and that in turn would translate into having another P flavour (compared to my Classic 50 with the Seymour spb1) and a totally different neck feel-wise, not to mention the string-through-body option...

Do you think the P tone overpowers the J given the on/off design without separate volumes?

Thanks a lot to everyone for the replies so far!

Edited by EmaTheMirror

I've owned my American Standard Jaguar for almost a year now and it has been my gigging bass since I got it. The P tone is good, it sounds like my P, the J bridge tone is excellent although I only use it for a few songs.

Both PUs parallel is a decent meaty tone and both PUs series would knock walls down. It's a great ballsy sound.

I really like the US Jaguar. It covers a lot of ground sonically, has quality PUs and hardware and the fit and finish is top notch. It feel good on the strap and is lightweight and well balanced.

The downsides? You can hit the PU selector switches accidently and end up in bass silence. Not a good arrangement. To me, Fender should not have wired the PU selectors with ANY possible combination switching off everything. It doesn't happen to me in practice but the possibility is there. And if it can happen, it will eventually happen.

Overall, the features of the US Jaguar made it a fine choice for me. A precision PU with jazz neck. PU switching rather than blending, active preamp and not least - the looks. It looks cool. Especially in olympic white. :)

And the same price as an American Standard J or P but is passive/active and a block marked fretboard.

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1470605671' post='3107107']

The downsides? You can hit the PU selector switches accidently and end up in bass silence. Not a good arrangement.

[/quote]

I've seen photos of Sergio Vega (Deftones, Quicksand...) putting some tapes on the lower plate to keep them in place and prevent that while playing. A built-in switch lock device would be great... But wait... That means yet another switch/button on that bass! Lol :D

Olympic White/tortoise is my favourite match too, though of course tone has priority when picking the right one. Have you by chance tried a bunch before picking yours? Are they rather consistent in terms of quality?

Edited by EmaTheMirror

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' timestamp='1470609735' post='3107136']
I've seen photos of Sergio Vega (Deftones, Quicksand...) putting some tapes on the lower plate to keep them in place and prevent that while playing. A built-in switch lock device would be great... But wait... That means yet another switch/button on that bass! Lol :D

Olympic White/tortoise is my favourite match too, though of course tone has priority when picking the right one. Have you by chance tried a bunch before picking yours? Are they rather consistent in terms of quality?
[/quote]

The switching thing off isn't a problem for me. Only a couple of guys who played mine have hit this problem.

I have only played my own one and liked it right away so I can't comment on the quality of the range in general. Mine is pretty decent quality.

Frank.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1470850762' post='3108966']
Tried out a Fender Jaguar USA about 7 months ago, I very nearly left the shop with it. Very versatile bass. They should sell like hot cakes but most people wouldn't even try them.
[/quote]

I do wonder why that is myself? Maybe they look too different to the usual P and J shapes. They aren't over-priced compared to the American Standard P and J as you get more for the same money in the active option and additional cosmetic features. It must take longer to assemble as well.

I actually think they would sell more if they came in seafoam green and/or daphne blue but maybe that's me being shallow. <_<

Frank.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1470903050' post='3109197']
If I had room, and was playing more often, I would opt for a AS Jaguar bass. I have two Jag guitars and I love the body shape and switching.
[/quote]

Me too. Not to mention that on the bass you also have an active circuit. As much as I've fallen out of love with active circuitry inside basses over the years, it's not bad to have something that you flick and as far as I've heard in demos gives you a tone sort of in the MusicMan (-ish) ballpark.

[quote name='EmaTheMirror' timestamp='1470946898' post='3109591']
Me too. Not to mention that on the bass you also have an active circuit. As much as I've fallen out of love with active circuitry inside basses over the years, it's not bad to have something that you flick and as far as I've heard in demos gives you a tone sort of in the MusicMan (-ish) ballpark.
[/quote]

I have the active circuit set to give a boost to the highs and a tiny bit more bass. That way if I need a little more umfff I just flick the switch. Having said that, the passive series setting is f***ing massive sounding. It's the best of all worlds really. A fantastic gigging bass.

You know you want one. <_< <_<

Frank.