Why become a member? ×

Singing while playing..help!

geoham

Wonder if any of you have any advice...

My covers band has recently lost our drummer - who did all our backing vocals. The replacement drummer can't sing at all!

I can actually do most of the harmonies well enough, until I try playing bass at the same time! If I'm playing something really simple (Gimme All Your Loving for example), or if the vocal is the same rhythm as the bass - then I'm fine.

Anything else - I'm rubbish! Either my bass rhythm starts following the vocal or I just stop singing!

Can anyone else's brain only deal with one rhythm at a time? Has anyone got over it?

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1470427961' post='3105991']
[/quote]

Slow it all down. Try half-tempo, or even less. Sing (yes, in slow motion..!) and play; if it still doesn't work, slow down further. Gradually (over the course of a couple of weeks, for instance..?) bring the speed up. Guaranteed; cannot fail. Going slowly is the fastest way to get up to speed. Try it..?

Either your singing or bass playing has to go on autopilot whilsdt you concentrate on the other.
Only you can dfecide which is going to be the easiest thing to get "auto" on.
For me it usually winds up being a mix of both, depending on which bit is the hardest at a particular point in the song, but I have been simultaneously singing and playing for a very long time.

Edited by ivansc

[quote name='geoham' timestamp='1470427961' post='3105991']

My covers band has recently lost our drummer - who did all our backing vocals. The replacement drummer can't sing at all!

I can actually do most of the harmonies well enough, until I try playing bass at the same time! If I'm playing something really simple (Gimme All Your Loving for example), or if the vocal is the same rhythm as the bass - then I'm fine.

Anything else - I'm rubbish! Either my bass rhythm starts following the vocal or I just stop singing!

Can anyone else's brain only deal with one rhythm at a time? Has anyone got over it?
[/quote]

It's hard , it takes time and practice.
I sing background vocals. It was gigging that got me up to speed with singing and playing. Your sort of forced to learn.

Blue

It's like getting to Carnegie Hall... practice. And practice, and practice. It comes eventually but there ain't no shortcuts.
The one thing I still can't do is [i]talk[/i] whilst playing. Sing, yes. Talk? no chance.

sadly, its practice practice and a large chunk of confidence.
i generally front bands now whilst playing bass... its hard, often you have to comprise one to make sure the other isn't suffering, but it takes practice to work out in which order you have to work.

it is hard work, but it is rewarding as hell once you get it working.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1470439225' post='3106086']
often you have to comprise one to make sure the other isn't suffering, but it takes practice to work out in which order you have to work.
[/quote]
This.
[quote]
it is hard work, but it is rewarding as hell once you get it working.
[/quote]
And this. I love singing BVs.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1470438367' post='3106082']
It's like getting to Carnegie Hall... practice. And practice, and practice. It comes eventually but there ain't no shortcuts.
The one thing I still can't do is [i]talk[/i] whilst playing. Sing, yes. Talk? no chance.
[/quote]

I thought I was the only one! I can sing the full Set whilst playing, with no problem, but trying to tell an audience what song's coming next, while playing the Intro - forget it. I start 'talking in time' and my voice tries to follow the notes. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1470438367' post='3106082']
[/quote]

^ what he says.

Also, there's a temptation to think that bvs don't have to be great - but they do ! Like anything in a band you can hear, it has to make the grade. Not just pitch with bvs but sounding good, blended sounds and emotive content. It can take someone objective to tell us I reckon, and I know I can't do it well simply because I can't sing that well - plus enough people tell me ! A big clue is when the band don't ask the soundman for a mic !

So I just mime, saves all that hard practice ;)

LD

As all above; practice, practice, practice is the key. I have had to go from no vocals to backing vocals to now lead vocals on a couple of tracks and it was all down to practice.

One thing I have noticed is that if I go back from finger playing to playing with a pick it is easier to learn the whole singy/playy thing. Whether that is because my brain is doing less work controlling digits I don't know but I find playing pick lets me learn to play and sing together until the singing becomes natural enough that I can then ditch the pick. Maybe worth a try or I may just be wierd...