Why become a member? ×

Dragon's Den - Analogue Optical Guitar Cable

spectoremg

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1470047983' post='3102851']
If increased signal quality is the most important thing to you then just install a preamp like a Creation Audio Redeemer, or run a short cable to a buffer box. You can probably buy guitar cables with a built in buffer at one end, never looked but would be surprised if nobody's ever made one before!
[/quote]

I would as it is literally the point of an active guitar. Buffer the signal at the guitar end, run a low impedance signal path down the wire which reduces high frequency signal loss.

Of course, there would be no reason you couldn't run a dolby system down it if you were really paranoid, but as it is a previously solved problem I don't see it is going to be that much better, or you are going to have much of a market.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470048200' post='3102852']
Presumably the Dragons make an offer based on the pitch. If something comes to light that wasn't in the pitch they have a get out. I suspect they have a lot of crossing of T's and dotting of I's to do after the pitch and offer.
[/quote]

This is what happens.

Further, some people do not really want investment but use the show as free publicity. A old mate of mine was going to do just that with a clever bicycle mirror.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1470048200' post='3102852']
Presumably the Dragons make an offer based on the pitch. If something comes to light that wasn't in the pitch they have a get out. I suspect they have a lot of crossing of T's and dotting of I's to do after the pitch and offer.
[/quote]yes I suspect a lot of these 'offers' don't come to fruition, there does seem a lack of 'what happened next' programmes

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1470050429' post='3102864']

This is what happens.

Further, some people do not really want investment but use the show as free publicity. A old mate of mine was going to do just that with a clever bicycle mirror.
[/quote]

"As seen on Dragons' Den."

:D

Snake oil for me - take this quote from the website...

"[font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=4]boasts durability and quality to attract the [color=#ff0000]high end niche market[/color]."[/size][/font]

Someone said its a "solution looking for a problem" and I agree - but that was my opinion on the iPad and look what happened there!

They need a proof reader and not just a spell checker on their website too. Mistake in the first paragraph on the About Us page.

Scratch that - they need a writer.

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1470051690' post='3102876']
Snake oil for me - take this quote from the website...

"[font=Roboto, sans-serif][size=4]boasts durability and quality to attract the [color=#ff0000]high end niche market[/color]."[/size][/font]

Someone said its a "solution looking for a problem" and I agree - but that was my opinion on the iPad and look what happened there!

They need a proof reader and not just a spell checker on their website too. Mistake in the first paragraph on the About Us page.

Scratch that - they need a writer.
[/quote]

I'm still scratching my head about the iWatch

[quote name='SubsonicSimpleton' timestamp='1470052142' post='3102880']
Looking at some of the youtube comments, the designers are predicting 18hrs battery life which is IMHO abysmal considering the lifespan of a PP9 in most active circuits.
[/quote]
The battery is the main problem why it won't be adopted on big stages. Your grade wireless packs have nice little cradles to charge them in. How many roadies could be arsed with the battery regime?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470045477' post='3102827']
The future of everything is wireless, No one is going to go back to a lead in the professional arena even if it's made of unicorn hair. It is totally pointless.

Re brand them as heft adding leads and we will see them joining a lime light to a barefaced via a handbox in no time :)
[/quote]This. They failed to mention that nobody uses cables live, including their much-mentioned Cold play guy.
Edit: how about a short optical cable from your guitar to your transmitter unit lol.

Edited by spectoremg

I'd be interested to know how you have it coming from your guitar too.

If it's fibre, I would have thought it will have limited allowed bend radius which may affect those that like to loop their cable through their guitar strap.

Otherwise, it's all heavily hanging off a big plug which I would have thought would put strain on the jack socket?

The future of everything is wireless, No one is going to go back to a lead in the professional arena even if it's made of unicorn hair. It is totally pointless.
[/quote]

That was my thinking too.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1470010588' post='3102696']

Edit: here's an interview with the two behind Iconic Sound and if you listen carefully to the designer of the system it is stated that the system is purely analogue and works on the principle of 'light brightness' - I.e. AM.
[/quote]
Just because they are using the brightness (ie amplitude) to control the signal - doesn't make it AM.
AM uses the input to control the output level of a carrier wave - Ie as per the bottom one here

They are saying they can just use the modulating signal as the signal transmitted.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1470054159' post='3102903']
This. They failed to mention that nobody uses cables live, including their much-mentioned Cold play guy.
Edit: how about a short optical cable from your guitar to your transmitter unit lol.
[/quote]

Indeed
Music industry seems to fall into the following:

Professional musicians want reliability - battery power is not reliable. Thats why pedal boards / power supplies were invented....

Live acts like coldplay etc want to be able to roam the stage. To do that they prefer wireless, and thus meaning no cable at all...... (or rather, a small patch cable but in teh case of this product, the advertised benefits are over distance)

Average Joe wants cheap (ie £10 cables from ebay etc)

That leaves maybe the middle aged middle management guy who has a £3k guitar, £3k rig and doesn't gig.... (each to their own)

I'd be interested to know how tight you can have the cable in terms of bends. I would have thought the (presumably glass) optic carrier would be susceptible to breaking at a kink/bend in the cable?

Edited by gapiro

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1470066128' post='3103020']
Just because they are using the brightness (ie amplitude) to control the signal - doesn't make it AM.
AM uses the input to control the output level of a carrier wave - Ie as per the bottom one here

They are saying they can just use the modulating signal as the signal transmitted.
[/quote]

Same mistake I made on the last page, it *IS* AM. you take a 450 THz carrier wave (I assume - red light) and modulate its amplitude with the signal.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1470066429' post='3103022']
Average Joe wants cheap (ie £10 cables from ebay etc)
[/quote]

I am pretty average. Live I use the smoothhound wireless that was just over £100. Dont like tripping over cables and it is nice to wander out to the audience to hear the sound out there for setting up.

Re brand them as heft adding leads and we will see them joining a lime light to a barefaced via a handbox in no time :)
[/quote]

I think your right about wireless as the standard these days , but I'm not sure unicorn hair is ever going to be useful in cables , it's great for bowed instrument though , really pushes up the mids

[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1470071506' post='3103070']
Yeah, but it's so worth it! Right?! I'm sure I can hear the difference.
[/quote]

Maybe if I was in a proper orchestra I would go the whole hog and have in rehaired with real Unicorn hair, even then I would try and get it from wild Unicorns if possible.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1470077518' post='3103125']

Maybe if I was in a proper orchestra I would go the whole hog and have in rehaired with real Unicorn hair, even then I would try and get it from wild Unicorns if possible.
[/quote]

I am 100% certain you won't hear the difference.