Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1473280462' post='3128725']
Loving this build, also loving your truss rod method.
[/quote]
Thanks, White_Cloud ! :)

Fretboard is now on:

I repeated what I did for the recent dreadnought acoustic - putting a maple veneer between the fretboard and neck - at that time smugly thinking it was a 'new Andyjr1515 feature' only to find at a basschat meeting that Jabba has been doing that for years :lol: ... and doing it much better than me :rolleyes:

Anyway, this is the difference it makes:

When it's carved and varnished, it adds a definite touch of class.

Fretboard has been radiused to 12" using a wooden radius block. Still got to tweak the body join on the treble side for those eagle eyes amongst you :D :

...and the rough carve of the neck has been done using shinto rask, spokeshave and cabinet scrapers. Didn't take too long - about half the time as a very simple question to the vodafone webchat helpdesk:

I will be rounding off the heel transition a bit more and have still got some tidying up to do near the volute, but the basic profile and thickness are in place.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1473532191' post='3131070']
Is this your best yet, Andy? I am transfixed...
[/quote]
You are most kind, Paul :)

While every build gets some aspect a little bit better than the previous one ( this one definitely is the best for half decent gap-free joints !) but I think Kert's (FuNkShUi) camphor single cut will take some beating ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1473537108' post='3131120']
I like the veneer pinstripe under the fingerboard. I've seen it on fancy banjo necks, but not on a bass.
[/quote]

I thought I'd created a new 'feature' when I did this on the acoustic build I did last year. Then I met Jez (Jabba_the_Gut) at the bass bash and realised the he does it on all of his basses. His are masterful too...I'm pretty sure the stripe carries on under the nut and headstock. Wonderful stuff :)
Jez - got a photo or two to show everyone?

Thanks, folks :) Very much appreciated :D

I spent most of today sorting out my new-found cellar space. Having said that, the provision of a proper workbench that's also not on the back patio means that an hour before tea this evening allowed me to:[list]
[*]slim down some neck offcut to 12.5mm
[*]add a sliver of the wenge veneer
[*]glue as wings to the headstock
[*]plane and rasp down to size (allowing for a 3mm ebony headstock plate)
[/list]
Here are the wings in place:

That's one job ticked off the finish list :D

Edited by Andyjr1515

Slow progress this week - many domestic duties to fulfil and no building likely until the end of the weekend. Mind you, I can still snatch the odd moment to plan the next bit ;)

The headstock will have an ebony headplate and I will add the swifts logo before I cut it to shape and attach it. It's a familiar shape but slightly modded to make sure I can maintain straight string runs:

Edited by Andyjr1515

While MrsAndyjr1515 was busy preparing her next set of spells, I sneaked out and did a bit more...

I pencilled out and jeweller's sawed out a trio of swifts:

Then laid them out and pencilled round them on the ebony:

Then got as far as setting the router depth before I was called to stir the cauldron...

Oh well....it'll have to wait until Sunday :rolleyes:

[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1473795072' post='3133226']
Niiiiiice B)

I think the Headstock will look great, and will work better with straight string pulls.
P.S. Just seen the latest post . . . Hope you have mapped out the clearance between the tuner pegs & those inlays.

P.S.P.S. I assume you have!
[/quote]
Happily, yes. They're fine ;)

At the rate you are progressing with this build I'd have thought Swift's were more appropriate than Swallows?

Lovely work by the way, can't wait until I have time to get back to building stuff myself.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1474027483' post='3135082']
At the rate you are progressing with this build I'd have thought Swift's were more appropriate than Swallows?

Lovely work by the way, can't wait until I have time to get back to building stuff myself.
[/quote]
...which is just as well as they are swifts ;) I'd better put that down as 'must get better at drawing', then :)

Major domestic duty backlog is back under control and we've had our few days away in beautiful but very, very wet Florence so there should be nothing stopping me now other than the normal distractions and infirmities :D

Yesterday managed to finish off the headstock plate - gluing in the inlays with z-epoxy mixed with fine ebony sanding dust:

It makes the bass start looking like a bass:

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1473792883' post='3133204']
While MrsAndyjr1515 was busy preparing her next set of spells, I sneaked out and did a bit more...

I pencilled out and jeweller's sawed out a trio of swifts:

Then laid them out and pencilled round them on the ebony:

Then got as far as setting the router depth before I was called to stir the cauldron...

Oh well....it'll have to wait until Sunday :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Lovely looking bass - more great work Andy....obviously Mrs R doesn't read this forum otherwise your voice may just get one octave higher... :excl: :excl:

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1474289817' post='3136827']
Lovely looking bass - more great work Andy....obviously Mrs R doesn't read this forum otherwise your voice may just get one octave higher... :excl: :excl:
[/quote]
Hi, Mick....I have to watch out for the eye in the back of her head, though.....

If anyone is wondering how Pete will reach the top fret...

The original EB-3 was a 20 fret bass at 30.5" scale. This one is 22 frets at 34" scale and with the bridge set rearward to reduce neck dive.

Although you can actually quite easily reach the 21st fret, the extra two frets were really put there so that the gap between the bridge and neck pickup could be proportionately close (although probably won't make any perceptible sonic difference) but that visually the neck pickup remained close to the end of the fretboard for at least a passing nod to the look of the original.

Luckily Pete rarely tries to reach the 22nd fret on his present basses...

For the pickup chambers, I used the forstner bit rough-out and chisels rather than router. Both pickups have generous pickup rings so it doesn't need to be pristine but also, little be little, I'm getting better at sharpening and using chisels!

First the roughing-out:

Note the control wires chamber routed before I put the top on.

Then a tidy up with a couple of sizes of sharp stubby chisels and a mallet:

and.....done :D

Tonight I'll be checking with Pete that what he terms as Cherry Red is what I term as Cherry Red and, all being well, I should be able to start initial staining and finishing later this week :)

Edited by Andyjr1515