Why become a member? ×

Jack Bruce (ish) EB3 / SG Bass

Andyjr1515

[quote name='paulnb57' timestamp='1472238938' post='3119780']
Based on Andy's use of ink, I have used Waterproof green Quink ink with good results on a quilted maple Strat, 3 years on its still the same colour and has never seen a case....
[/quote]
I remember that! It is a beauty. Worth posting a shot?

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1472238917' post='3119778']
Ignore the neck tenon, but this is probably the kind of shade I'll be aiming for, a WIP double cut electric I'm doing for myself. It will probably look a bit darker on the SG's wood but similar tones. Bear in mind of course that cameras and monitors struggle like hell to reproduce reds properly.

[/quote]

Gorgeous colour and very unfair. This is where my next build is going but in the bass guise, early EB0 but with two pickups. If you were going 'brown' which colour ink would you favour?

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1472244655' post='3119847']

Gorgeous colour and very unfair. This is where my next build is going but in the bass guise, early EB0 but with two pickups. If you were going 'brown' which colour ink would you favour?
[/quote]
This will make you smile....for browns I would probably use one of the Chestnut Spirit Stains rather than ink :)

Having gone well beyond the call of duty in a shed-clearing and rearranging task yesterday, I've gained an 'all day pass' :)

The reality is that, having spent all morning scraping and sanding, my hands have just about had it for the day :rolleyes:

Still, I'm pleased with how it's starting to look. Basically the top has now had the chatter marks removed and the chamfer is pretty close to being comnplete. I dampen everything because it is a lot easier to see the bits I may have missed. Here it is so far:

Bit of tidying up to do but not too much :)

I've also scraped the chatter off the back and rebated the control chamber, but haven't started the chamfer on that yet. The neck heel, by the way, will be taken right back to the body join:

I'm going to call time for this one today otherwise the arthritis will give me substantial gyp by the morning! ;)

[quote name='Bastav' timestamp='1472331316' post='3120445']
Looks great! I would have had a hard time resisting a deeper carve, exposing the wenge veneer.
[/quote]
Thanks, Bastav! :)

I know what you mean, and I was tempted. Trouble is, to get the maximum effect on the wenge would have meant a much shallower angle and therefore wider chamfer so would go even further away from the SG basic shape than it is already.

That said, it was a challenge to get the wenge just breaking through all the way round and still get the correct widths of the chamfers in the various places!

Done the rough carve for the back and the heel:

Can't believe that the next job is already the neck carve!!!!!

The provision - however small the area is - of a space in the cellar and a workbench down there has made a HUGE difference to the speed of build. Would never have believed it, using exactly the same tools as before. This is going at least double the speed of any build I've ever done before.

That, interestingly, brings another challenge. Every one of my builds is a bit of an adventure - my memory is so poor that I usually have to work out almost from first principles what to do next and how best to do it...every time I do exactly the same thing :lol:

Now, what the old slow method did was to give me enormous amounts of thinking time. What I have to do here and now, is rein back my enthusiasm and force myself to think before I cut. So, even though all my instincts are to get on and carve the neck RIGHT NOW...I must pause....and think....and work out sizes and depths and profiles and how deep the trussrod channel is and... you know, the sensible stuff. :D

Mind you....surely no harm in sharpening the spokeshave blade....and maybe just testing that it works...and... :lol:

"Put the spokeshave down and step away from the neck slowly Sir, with your hands where we can see them" :huh: I find I need to spend a lot of thinking time (and enjoy it). When I don't the results are usually less than impressive. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I can forget methods, processes (and stuff I have done in the day job for 32 years...).

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1472469016' post='3121283']
"Put the spokeshave down and step away from the neck slowly Sir, with your hands where we can see them" :huh: I find I need to spend a lot of thinking time (and enjoy it). When I don't the results are usually less than impressive. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I can forget methods, processes (and stuff I have done in the day job for 32 years...).
[/quote]
:lol:

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1472500366' post='3121649']
This is looking really nice, with the bevel and the pretty woods. You've got me gazing over at the plank of walnut I have leaning in the corner of the room, wondering whether it should be made into something SG shaped!
[/quote]

This build will be responsible for inspiring a lot of new bass builds, damage to relationships and who knows what else :)

Edited by 3below

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1472565518' post='3122153']
Looking very good indeed! :)

I'll hold my hand up as someone who is considering doing my own build as a result of this and other similar inspirational threads, thanks!
[/quote]

+1. I've been looking at doing a LP Recording/Triumph bass inspired build at some point - May have to include a little SG contouring, maybe even do a double cut LP . . .

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1472565518' post='3122153']
Looking very good indeed! :)

I'll hold my hand up as someone who is considering doing my own build as a result of this and other similar inspirational threads, thanks!
[/quote]
[quote name='PlungerModerno' timestamp='1472583360' post='3122384']
+1. I've been looking at doing a LP Recording/Triumph bass inspired build at some point - May have to include a little SG contouring, maybe even do a double cut LP . . .
[/quote]

Great stuff - the more builds the better :)

Love to see any progress :)

The truss rod has arrived and so we're back in business.

I have a slightly unconventional way of sorting the trussrod and capping which I find speeds up a lot of fiddling. As always for my threads, not suggesting you do it this way - just showing you how I personally do it. The truss rods I use are 6mm wide. As it happens, the middle neck splices I use are also 6mm.

If you remember, I offset the centre splice by the trussrod and cap depth when I glued the neck together:

This created a naturally central trussrod channel on the reverse side, but I also cut the overhang off and kept it, effectively a 9mmx6mm strip of walnut.

I try to make my trussrods removeable (still wouldn't be easy but at least possible)so first thing I do is cut a bit of walnut offcut as a spacer in terms of the basic trussrod position:

Then loosely wrap the trussrod in plumbers PTFE tape:

Then cut the walnut strip to length, lay it on top of the trussrod and wick some thin cyano to hold it in place. I tack it in two or three places first, then when I run the bead of cyano all the way down, I move the trussrod a few mm back and forth with some needle-nosed pliers to make sure it hasn't been inadvertently glued:

Finally, plane down the excess and there is the truss rod in place, capped and potentially removeable with a pair of needle nose pliers and a hefty tug...

Finally, I trimmed the ebony fretboard to approximate size (not profiling at this stage) and have a piece of 1mm maple veneer currently being glued to the bottom, clamped between two pieces of marine ply:

Later this evening, I'll be gluing the fretboard onto the neck :)